Signatures Delivered to Colorado for Wolf Ballot Initiative

Okhotnik

WKR
If I remember correctly, the Measure compels the state to create a management plan. As far as the feds go, Section 6 of the ESA deals with the states. Although different circumstances than the MT/WY introductions, Buzz may be able to shed some light on how the process will unfold. When I contacted the USFWS they hadn't formed an opinion on a course of action should the measure pass. In the end, this may drag on thru the courts for years.

"(c) COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS.—(1) In furtherance of the purposes of this Act, the Secretary is authorized to enter into a cooperative agreement in accordance with this section with any State which establishes and maintains an adequate and active program for the conservation of endangered species and threatened species. Within one hundred and twenty days after the Secretary receives a certified copy of such a proposed State program, he shall make a determination whether such program is in accordance with this Act. Unless he determines, pursuant to this paragraph that the State program is not in accordance with this Act, he shall enter into a cooperative agreement with the State for the purpose of assisting in implementation of the State program. In order for a State program to be deemed an adequate and active program for the conservation of endangered species and threatened species, the Secretary must find, and annually thereafter reconfirm such finding, that under the State program — "

Looks like anti hunting groups are the primary push behind this introduction and RMEF is against this. Why introduce a predator with high reproductive rates in areas where endangered mule deer and elk are already below their management objectives in Colorado?

And again how can you manage wolves when the same anti hunting groups who fund their introduction file lawsuits to shut down management?

wapitibob

WKR
You would have to ask those behind the "introduction" why, it wasn't my idea. It could be as simple as some want wolves in the forest, it's a master plan to limit/end hunting, or maybe BGF and the head of the Pro Wolf coalition thought it all up over beers; they're making millions off wolves. Since none of us were in the back room when the plan was created, we'll never know.

For management, you do the best you can, and currently that's thru management agreements or directly by the USFWS, and the court challenges are part of it; that's where we are as a country.

mt100gr.

WKR
I finished my wildlife biology bachelor's degree just over a decade ago. I don't work in the field but I try to keep up with what's going on, to some extent.

One of the most emphasized facts that I remember from college was being reminded that in my lifetime, anyone who wanted to work in the wildlife management world had better be prepared to verse themself in current "people management" skills/tactics and above all, patience. Animals are easy to manage if you remove people from the equation.

Like wapiti said - that's where we are.

Poser

WKR
On discussions about wolves elsewhere )not rokslide), I keep seeing comments and statements referencing elk in CO being overpopulated and overgrazing. I have yet to see a specific reference as to where this is taking place, but I presume Rocky Mtn Ntl Park? Based on that, the general public does not seem to be aware that elk and mule deer are each facing respective problems and decline. One way to win some hearts and minds is to really pump some info out about how human development and recreation is impacting these herds. If the average person believes that elk are overpopulated, voting for wolves might seem to be a practical decision.

excaliber

WKR
It's pretty simple. This is a means to stop hunting period. There are only so many deer and elk that can be harvested and still supports the herds. Once these surplus animals are killed guess who gets their tags cut? It wont be the Wolves.
There will be less deer and elk to where there will be no surplus animals for hunters to hunt. That's their goal and that's their plan.
You'll know what to do when you see them in the woods...................

bowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
+1
CC.jpg
+2

The voters will change their tune pretty quick when dogs in Boulder are being eaten in their backyards by a pack of wolves...but by then, it's too late.

Is it wishful thinking to think CPW or USFWS will be able to delay/stop this?

Side note...Whatever you do, dont ask BHA to take a stance against it...because they wont, the cowards. Green Decoy.

They won’t even have to come off the initial range. Not a one of them that parades out at all the 14rs, trails, campsites or western slope towns ever put their dog on a leash. They will get lost and no need to even go looking for their pets. They will be toast.

Unfortunately due to the lack of brown bear and wolf populations. The city slickers of Denver and Boulder treat the western slopes like an amusement park. Allow their children to go running way off on their own, dogs and pets not on leashes and run where ever they like. Going to be a rude reminder of what the Wild really is for them.

Just pisses me off the urbanites of Denver,Boulder, Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. It’s not them that will see the full effect. This should be left up to the western slope towns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
...Not a one of them that parades out at all the 14rs, trails, campsites or western slope towns ever put their dog on a leash. They will get lost and no need to even go looking for their pets. They will be toast.

I'll be paying attention to where they put them and won't be hunting grouse with my dogs anywhere near there.

Poser

WKR
Question for those that know or can verify: I’ve been seeing people post a lot of data similar to what is in the screenshot below stating/claiming that elk numbers overall in MT, ID, WY are actually up since wolves were introduced. Some localized herds are down, but overall numbers have improved.

Can anyone verify and retort with data that runs counter to this and, if so, where are they getting these numbers from? I’ve seen slightly variation of similar numbers in various arguments.
79e3470d6be33798bdfd04f9e026cd06.jpg

Question for those that know or can verify: I’ve been seeing people post a lot of data similar to what is in the screenshot below stating/claiming that elk numbers overall in MT, ID, WY are actually up since wolves were introduced. Some localized herds are down, but overall numbers have improved.

Can anyone verify and retort with data that runs counter to this and, if so, where are they getting these numbers from? I’ve seen slightly variation of similar numbers in various arguments.
This is what I' m seeing in Idaho. Many of the backcountry, central units are below objective for both bull and cow elk. It seems that the elk have moved in closer to the urban/agriculture interface. The herds that are in these areas are causing massive depredation damage to farm/private ground. If you look at page 32 in the Idaho Fish and Game big game regulations, they break down the units that are meeting or not meeting objectives. One other thing that seems to get glossed over is the moose population. Bull moose tags have been cut by almost 50 percent statewide from the mid 90's numbers.

It would also be interesting to see how tag numbers and success rates have fluctuated during this period. It’s foolish to just look at statewide herd numbers before and after wolves and call it good. Those states don’t have wolves everywhere.

It would also be interesting to see how tag numbers and success rates have fluctuated during this period. It’s foolish to just look at statewide herd numbers before and after wolves and call it good. Those states don’t have wolves everywhere.

The Idaho harvest stats for online only go back to 2000. That leaves a 6 year gap with no information.

elkduds

WKR
I spent this morning @ a town hall meeting in CO Springs, w a state senator and state representative. Wolf reintro was not discussed in the meeting. So I buttonholed both legislators afterward, asking for their support for legislation being considered that will give CPW more control and options, in the event the ballot measure passes. One said he supports CPW's authority to decide RE wolves. The other said he trusts his constituents to decide, gov't speak for him supporting the ballot initiative to force wolf reintroduction. CO voters, call your state reps, email them, tell them in person that you oppose reintroduction and want legislation supporting CPW's ability to manage wolves if the initiative passes in 11/20. It's not hard to do, and it can make a difference.

Find My Legislator | Colorado General Assembly
This application allows you to find your state Senator and Representative in the Colorado State Legislature. To use the search, enter your address information in the search bar located on the left side of the screen and click the search button. You may also click anywhere on the map to bring up...

leg.colorado.gov
leg.colorado.gov

February 3, 2020
Former State Senator Ted Harvey to Lead Stop the Wolf PAC Issue Committee Against Initiative 107

Denver, Colorado: Today, Denny Behrens, co-Chairman of the 501c4 non-profit Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition, announced the addition of long-time Colorado political operator Ted Harvey to run Stop the Wolf PAC, the Colorado Issue Committee set up to defeat Initiative 107, a forced wolf introduction ballot measure scheduled to be on the November ballot. State campaign laws require an Issue Committee to be filed with, and report to, the Colorado Secretary of State when opposing a Colorado ballot measure.

“As Campaign Director for the Stop the Wolf PAC Issue Committee, Ted Harvey brings the extensive election experience and wildlife policy knowledge needed to win the campaign against Initiative 107,” said Behrens.

Ted Harvey graduated from the University of Colorado Denver with a Master’s Degree in Public Affairs with a concentration in Environmental Law and Policy. He has spent 13 years in the Colorado State House and Senate, serving of on the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee. Mr. Harvey also runs his own political consulting company that specializes in social media, fundraising, voter mobilization, and advancing pro-liberty and free-market issues in the public square.

“Stopping the forced introduction of wolves will be a key issue in Colorado this year, not just because wolves are already here but because of the irreversible and devastating impact it will have on our wildlife, economy, and communities across the state,” said Harvey.

“I encourage every Coloradan to listen to the credible experts who agree that forcing non-native wolves into our populated state is an absurd idea that should be soundly rejected by voters,” concluded Harvey.

###

Copyright © 2020 Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because of your support of Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition.

Our mailing address is:
Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition
PO Box 630552
Littleton, CO 80163

You do not have to be a CO resident to get in the fight. Hell, the people who paid for this proposal don't even live here.

wapitibob

WKR

The data is available from the various Dept web sites.

S.Clancy

WKR

Those number are accurate for MT. Statewide elk populations have approximately doubled since reintroduction. Some areas have seen declines, but overall up.

cmush

Lil-Rokslider
Those number are accurate for MT. Statewide elk populations have approximately doubled since reintroduction. Some areas have seen declines, but overall up.
The areas that have seen declines are the same ones that are populated by wolves. Here in Colorado CPW says that we are already below population objectives in a number of units west of the continental divide, the same place where the forced introduction of this non-native species is slated to take place.

If they decided to drop a pack into Rocky Mountain Arsenal or RMNP I think the idiots in the front range would change their tune pretty quick, but its going to be far removed from them so why would they care.