Silencer Central Suppressor ATF Approval Lead Times

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a suppressor from Silencer Central Jan. 2021. It's now almost May 2022, and I am still waiting for the ATF approval. Was told to expect a year wait by the Silencer Central people, and I'm growing impatient. Curious how long it took others to get their suppressor approved? Really wish Silencer Central would've had this efile option last year when I ordered...

ID_Matt

WKR
I ordered a suppressor from Silencer Central Jan. 2021. It's now almost May 2022, and I am still waiting for the ATF approval. Was told to expect a year wait by the Silencer Central people, and I'm growing impatient. Curious how long it took others to get their suppressor approved? Really wish Silencer Central would've had this efile option last year when I ordered...
Efile wasn't even an option for any dealers until just a few months ago. Paper applications, like yours, have always been all over the place. Hear the rare occurrence of someone getting one under 5 months, but most lately have been around 10 months, with some being longer. If you processed your paperwork/fingerprints 14 months ago and it was sent off, you are definitely on the longer end. My last 3 cans took 10 months each.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
It sounds like a bunch of guys are breaking into the 12+ month mark recently. While that really sucks, it means you've GOT to be getting close! When was your check cashed?

It does sound like some of the eForm 4s are coming through a lot quicker as of recent, but with the changes, everything's in a bit of flux. I'm curious to see where it will level out once they hit some equilibrium (if that's even a thing with the ATF :rolleyes:).

OP
hoyt-guy

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Efile wasn't even an option for any dealers until just a few months ago. Paper applications, like yours, have always been all over the place. Hear the rare occurrence of someone getting one under 5 months, but most lately have been around 10 months, with some being longer. If you processed your paperwork/fingerprints 14 months ago and it was sent off, you are definitely on the longer end. My last 3 cans took 10 months each.
Good to know hamilton1223. I may have to give them a call. I was told all was sent off last Jan. I called them in Feb 2022 & they said it should be coming through any time. The waiting is the hardest part.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience of buying 4 suppressors through silencer central, they don’t submit your paperwork very fast. They submit it all right around the 3 month mark. That means your check gets cashed at about the 4 month mark. Did you inquire with atf what date your check was cashed? I started one of my suppressors with SC January 2nd 2021 (payment to SC on the 2nd) and my check was cashed at atf May 23rd 2021. That has been pretty standard with all of my transactions with them thus far.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m in the same boat, I’m at 13 months now and getting pretty ******* frustrated. Every month I get the email saying it’s being processed.

Last edited:

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat, I’m at 13 months now and getting pretty ******* frustrated. Every month I get the email saying it’s being processed.

I’ll never order from silencer central again, I was told their process adds like 5 weeks but by the look of things, it’s adding 3 months. I’m not even expecting to have it by September at this point.
I take the good with the bad. I was downright mad at the extended timeline on my first one. Frustrated on the second. Disappointed on the third. I just felt like a drug addict ordering the fourth. I knew I was giving into laziness and simplicity, instead of holding strong on my morals of only buying products from companies that value my business. The process with SC is so easy, you just have to have in your mind that once you agree to pay, they will be slower than any alternative process out there.

I’ve come to the conclusion that SC has put so many suppressors on the landscape that they’re probably doing us a favor in the long run by putting them closer to common use.

Like I said… good with the bad.

OP
hoyt-guy

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience of buying 4 suppressors through silencer central, they don’t submit your paperwork very fast. They submit it all right around the 3 month mark. That means your check gets cashed at about the 4 month mark. Did you inquire with atf what date your check was cashed? I started one of my suppressors with SC January 2nd 2021 (payment to SC on the 2nd) and my check was cashed at atf May 23rd 2021. That has been pretty standard with all of my transactions with them thus far.
I will have to look into when my check was cashed. This is my first time through this process, so I'm learning as I go here. I knew it would be a long wait, just was hoping to have it by this spring, so I can start shooting with it, and get dialed for this fall. Fingers crossed this can still happen. Appreciate everyone chiming in on this.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I will have to look into when my check was cashed. This is my first time through this process, so I'm learning as I go here. I knew it would be a long wait, just was hoping to have it by this spring, so I can start shooting with it, and get dialed for this fall. Fingers crossed this can still happen. Appreciate everyone chiming in on this.
I’d be willing to bet ATF cashed your check mid may and since current lead times from check cash date is looking like 350 days… you’ll have it in hand right around June.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up my suppressor from a local gun dealer this morning. I bought it the first week of March 2021.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ended up calling them yesterday. They wouldn’t give me a reason why all my info was submitted mid March and my stuff was sent to the ATF towards the end of May.

They told me I should start expecting my approval around may but then he reminded me that after it’s approved it usually takes them (silencer central) a few weeks to process things and mail them.

I’ll believe it when I see it. When I bought it I was told 7 months. Now I’m being told 14+ months. I know it’s just the way things are but damn it’s annoying/frustrating. No way I’m going to have it for spring bear.

I wish I could blame SC (then I could at least call them to complain) but I think the poor ATF process is the real culprit.

I ordered four cans from SC at the beginning of 2021. Three of them delivered together back in October. I am still waiting on the fourth one and the monthly “still pending” emails are painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
Used Silencer Shop. "Your application was received by the ATF and the payment for your tax stamp(s) was cashed on 5/14/2021" Still waiting.....

ChrisAU

WKR

Man if that's the case I don't know why anyone would deal with them. I bought my 2nd can last week locally and the ATF sent me a copy of the application to notify my CLEO before I even left the store. I have a 3rd one that I bought online last week that is shipping to the same store who will transfer it for $50 and have my paperwork submitted the same day.

mjs270

FNG
Used Silencer Shop. "Your application was received by the ATF and the payment for your tax stamp(s) was cashed on 5/14/2021" Still waiting.....
Same here - used Silencer Shop and my check was cashed 4/28/21 and still waiting. No point in calling the ATF. I did that a couple weeks ago, was on hold for 58 minutes and all the rep would do is verify that they had my application and that the check was cashed on 4/28/21. She just told me me what I already knew.

AKG

FNG
Ordered 2 in January 2021 from SC. First was delivered in February 2022, the other is still being reviewed by ATF. I don't think ATF received paperwork on at least one of them until may of 2021. Really easy to order from them, there does seem to be a pretty significant delay built into the process though. Which is above and beyond the time it took to send fingerprint cards back and forth and the forms which stretched out over the course of about a month. If I didn't already have one before ordering through them I would be quite a bit more anxious about the time.

A few years ago, myself and 3 others all bought a can at the same time through SC. I got mine at 13 months, the other three were all 11. That was pretty close to the expected timeline for us.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It would kick ass of mine showed up sometime in may.

It is true, the process is easy but the company sucks and is slow. My whole thing started on March 20 of 2021, when I was on the phone they were telling me how things got submitted to the ATF on April 23.

I’m also expecting 2 silencers from them, a banish 30 and a banish 22, it’s going to be some bullshit if I get one then keep waiting for the other. I’m excited to have the banish 30, it’s a great can but I won’t be ordering fro SC again and I’m planning to buy a few more.

Last edited:

Bobs son

FNG
that's very frustrating. most of the paper forms I'm seeing are taking about 12 months. on the plus side the eforms are a little over 60 days for the lucky ones. id recommend buying local next time