Silex vs LBO?

Corey

FNG
Having a hard time deciding between the Silex and LBO. Main use would be early archery Elk, solo with gear. Any input on why I would choose one or the other?

reaper

WKR
I had a lbo and now a silex...if you use an lbo+vestibule it's a hell of a shelter,more room that the silex,both are nice.Silex it's tight with a stove in there,lbo is more fun with the stove jack located right in the middle of the vestibule.Silex is super lightweight.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

I’ve had both as well and probably not an apples to apples comparison because my LBO was sylnylon and my current Silex is DCF. The LBO with vestibule is definitely bigger, but the question is, for solo hunts do you really need that big of a shelter? I tend to lean to the minimalist side and feel that the Silex is a great fit for me on solo hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Corey

FNG
Im confused on the LBO with the different options, can you get a nest for the LBO or is this shelter strictly floorless? Sorry I'm not following the descriptions or different options

LandYacht

WKR
Im confused on the LBO with the different options, can you get a nest for the LBO or is this shelter strictly floorless? Sorry I'm not following the descriptions or different options

There is a nest available that you can pair with it. You can also use a bivy to keep you bag and pad all together with a little extra bug/dirt protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with the LBO and now Silex. The LBO is bigger and a good modular setup were you can run multiple setups. The Silex feels big with the dual pole setup. Plenty of room for one and lots of gear. It's pretty darn light at 25oz all in (stakes, cordage, seem sealed, bag). The best part would be how fast and simple it can be pitched, once you've done it a couple times. Like 2-3 minuets fast. The LBO takes a little time to get a perfect pitch.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
The silex setup is crazy fast.. Ive had mine up before a buddy can get his tent out of the bag. (Exaggerating.. but just a little!) I feel it is the perfect size for 1 person. For early elk, id pass on the stove jack and you will have a super light, super small and very functional shelter.

ianpadron

WKR
Can't imagine a better solo early season shelter than the silex.

I think the most pragmatic approach is to realize that the Silex is a better minimalist shelter while the LBO offers more versatility.

That said, there are several shelters with a very small weight penalty that are better than the LBO if you need more space (Sawtooth, Cimarron DCF , Redcliff DCF etc)

If a stove is in the mix all of that changes as the Silex just isn't big enough.

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack the thread but would the silex be capable for late August sheep hunt in the Alaska range, was gonna pull the trigger on MLD duomid but waited to late for their shipping dead line

I have both, and I like both. If it’s just me and I don’t need a stove I prefer the silex. It fits me, my bow and my pack just fine and has a smaller footprint than the LBO. If I want a stove or another person I’d use the LBO. My partner and I added the tarp between the LBO and vestibule and had plenty of room for us our gear and the stove. And that’s when I realized I’d much rather be by myself in my own little shelter sniffin my own dehydrated meal farts instead of mine and his combined.