Silverback back tension release for hunting?

matman

Lil-Rokslider
I typically end up activating the Evolution once I dump the safety on my first couple shots. Then after about ten or so shots I can never get the thing to go off. It may be due to heavy poundage with low let off, I'm running 80 lbs with 75% mods. I really want to attempt hunting with it though, so far I've only hunted with a hinge and I actually get a little panicky with them at longer distances.

Zac it sounds like you need to properly set the holding weight of the release. The evolution can be set up to 30lbs of holding weight, which should be sufficient if you are shooting 80lbs with 75% let off (you said mods but I assumed). It also sounds like your shot process is breaking down after several shots. I know when I struggle to get a release it’s normally after numerous ends and my form and shot process are deteriorating quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcdonder

FNG
I hunt with the Carter Evolution and have no issues. I shoot a lot all year with it though so it's fully ingrained in my muscle memory at this point.

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
Hello everyone,

Id like to thank everyone for replying to my thread. The opinions on here drove me more towards the Nock 2 It which i am becoming very accustomed to and feel it is the better choice for me at the time. This is my first time shooting 60 yards and this was on the 7th shot.
IMG_0985.jpeg

Zac

WKR
Zac it sounds like you need to properly set the holding weight of the release. The evolution can be set up to 30lbs of holding weight, which should be sufficient if you are shooting 80lbs with 75% let off (you said mods but I assumed). It also sounds like your shot process is breaking down after several shots. I know when I struggle to get a release it’s normally after numerous ends and my form and shot process are deteriorating quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah thanks for the info, I put the heavier spring in it so I do get a lot more adjustment. I think I have been collapsing a lot, probably need someone to watch me shoot. Anyhow I think I am also aiming way too much, I believe this release needs a fairly prompt shot, I feel as though I am not pulling with enough pressure to activate it, I pull very slowly and just seem to hit a wall that I am unable to break.

nphunter

WKR
Yeah thanks for the info, I put the heavier spring in it so I do get a lot more adjustment. I think I have been collapsing a lot, probably need someone to watch me shoot. Anyhow I think I am also aiming way too much, I believe this release needs a fairly prompt shot, I feel as though I am not pulling with enough pressure to activate it, I pull very slowly and just seem to hit a wall that I am unable to break.

Your front arm is probably breaking down. I have my 9yr old shooting one and he was having the same issue. I always tell him to just stare at where he wants to hit and concentrate on pulling the release toward the wall behind him. He’s been shooting it very well lately. You could always back it off a little so it’s not as hard to get the shot to break.

Also if your draw length is too long it will be hard to get the shot to break.

Zac

WKR
Well it usually breaks too soon on my first couple shots, I have been attempting to just focus on the target, even recently switched to a single pin to try to help. I'm not sure how people focus on the target when they have to look through multiple pins

nphunter

WKR
I never have an issue. I shoot better with both eyes open, once I get the peep alignment done I open my left eye and stare at the target where I want to hit it. I then let my subconscience keep bringing the pin to the target as I focus on making a clean shot.

Some people focus on holding the pin on target steady while letting there muscle memory pull through. For me I start to anticipate any time I start staring at the pin, especially when hunting.

Zac

WKR
When I first had the release I use to fire it pretty quickly by pushing forward with my bow hand while simultaneously pulling with the other, then I used a hinge for a long time and it has really slowed my shot process down, I mostly just aim now instead of executing.