Silverback for hunting?

Looking to up my accuracy this year, I know i've gotten good at punching the trigger and not always using back tension.

Just looking for some honest reviews from those who have used this release.

Thanks

renagde

WKR
I've used a Carter Too Simple for years. A few years ago I purchased the Silverback and used that all during the spring and summer. By mid summer I was more accurate than I've ever been before, regularly shooting less than 6" groups at 100 yards. I transitioned back to the Too Simple a few months before archery season and that's been my regimen since. I've since gotten a Nock to it so that there's less difference when switching between my releases.

That being said, I can't imagine using the Silverback for hunting. I know people do, I think Joe Rogan might be one. I just want the option to pull the shot off quicker if needed. I found that by switching from resistance to thumb release my muscle memory was almost identical so my form was still spot on when hunting.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I've used a Carter Too Simple for years. A few years ago I purchased the Silverback and used that all during the spring and summer. By mid summer I was more accurate than I've ever been before, regularly shooting less than 6" groups at 100 yards. I transitioned back to the Too Simple a few months before archery season and that's been my regimen since. I've since gotten a Nock to it so that there's less difference when switching between my releases.

That being said, I can't imagine using the Silverback for hunting. I know people do, I think Joe Rogan might be one. I just want the option to pull the shot off quicker if needed. I found that by switching from resistance to thumb release my muscle memory was almost identical so my form was still spot on when hunting.
I've used a thumb button before, what you're saying makes sense to switch between the two come hunting season. Although if you did have to shoot quick couldn't you just pull into the backwall harder with the Silverback?

renagde

WKR
I've used a thumb button before, what you're saying makes sense to switch between the two come hunting season. Although if you did have to shoot quick couldn't you just pull into the backwall harder with the Silverback?
Yeah, it's not like it won't work. I found that when pulling into the back wall, it's best to easy into it. If you yank hard into the back wall you'll be all over the place. That's the science behind the madness of the resistance release. You draw back, settle into your anchor, release the safety, focus on your point of aim, and just start easing into the back wall. The surprise release forces you to focus on your form and target.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Yeah, it's not like it won't work. I found that when pulling into the back wall, it's best to easy into it. If you yank hard into the back wall you'll be all over the place. That's the science behind the madness of the resistance release. You draw back, settle into your anchor, release the safety, focus on your point of aim, and just start easing into the back wall. The surprise release forces you to focus on your form and target.
That makes sense-was just hoping to avoid having to buy multiple releases haha

svivian

WKR
I hunt with a Scott backspin hinge. I have killed three bucks and two bulls with it. My only issues have been losing it or setting it down and forgetting it as its not strapped to my wrist. For that reason I would carry an extra release in your pocket or pack. I personally think I take more ethical shots because of its limitations on shot execution.

wayoh22

WKR
Would have to agree the Silverback and Nock-2-it is a pretty nice combo. I started with the Nock-2-it and then got a Silverback. My group immediately tightened up once I understood the shot process. Then I started working that process to a thumb release and now it's identical to me. The point where it all clicked was letting my release hand relax and letting my hand "stretch" to set off the thumb trigger. instead of applying direct pressure to the trigger.

I haven't used my Silverback exclusively for hunting yet, but I know I'd be fine if I did.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider

What he said ^

The silverback taught me good technique with pulling through the shot and I use it most of the time on the range. Right before a hunt I pull out the Carter Wise Choice and still shoot the same way with pulling through back wall.

Caleb777

FNG
I personally have hunted more with a back tension release than anything. I’m using a tru ball HT 3 finger. The way I see it, you can rush through back tension the same as rushing and punching a trigger. So in the heat of the moment, you can run your release cycle just a little faster with the back tension and maintain good form. Whereas rushing shots with a trigger for me allows my body/shoulders to collapse at the shot. And that will never amount to an accurate execution. Everyone is different. But for me…I think I’m stuck on back tension releases for everything

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I am like Wayoh and shoot silverback and nock 2 it. I started shooting silverback first and recently purchased nock 2 it. I like practicing with silverback, but I wouldn’t hunt with it. It has helped me settle my pin and pull through the shot.

A new Silverback user here. Struggled with very severe target panic for a long time. Got a new bow that fit me and the release to start over and learn. I love it and can actually shoot without target panic being an issue. I’m definitely not a pro but I was very happy that I could maintain about 2in groups at 20 yards consistently. I could do it over and over until I started getting weak. I tried to continue shooting through the fatigue one day and felt myself wanting to jerk on the release to make it go off cause I was starting to struggle to keep my pin still. I quickly stopped that day. I plan to hunt with it next season. I know I’m not gonna shoot at a deer past 30 yards and if I have to rush the shot, I don’t need to take it. Maybe if I was a more confident and proficient archer my opinion would change, but as of now I’m gonna use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahooo03

FNG
Another fan of the Silverback / Nock 2 It combo here. I have used my silverback for hunting and just add additional tension to the back wall before releasing the safety. It works in a pinch for sure.

C.payne

WKR
Just Echoing what has been said here already. I love the Silverback/Nock 2 It combo. I don't use the Silverback as my main release for hunting just for training. Anytime I feel like I'm loosing proper technique I switch back to the Silverback for a few rounds.
I don't think hunting with it would be that bad. I carry it as my back up release on hunts.

Zac

WKR
If you get jacked when your shooting at animals I definitely would not attempt this. I'm speaking from experience. On more than one occasion my bow has went off the second I let off the safety while hunting. I ended up having to put an unreasonable amount of additional tension on the release in order to hunt with it. It then became very inaccurate due to me pulling excessively hard. I think a hinge, or a thumb button is a far better option. If you run a hinge with a click it can really save you from having an O sh!t moment.

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt exclusively with a silverback. I get excited about harvesting no matter what my target species is. Which is exactly why I hunt with a silverback. It's not as convenient as clipping on thumb button for whitetail but it helps keep me honest during my shot process.

I had target panic last season really bad, this season I shot my first robin hood at 40 yards and made the best shot of my life on the the biggest buck of my life. It "didn't go 20" (maybe 25). If your interested, I'll share what I think is a fool proof method to not only curing your target panic in 2022, but taking your archery and bowhunting game to the next level. At least, this is what worked for me.

1) There's a good chance you've already gone through the School of Nock on YouTube or are at least aware of it since your asking about hunting with a silverback. If you haven't gone through the video series and practiced what is taught. Start there.

2) Buy the silverback.

3) Get yourself setup with a safe blank baling setup. I hung a spiderweb target from the joists in my basement. There's probably a million way's to accomplish a blank bailing setup. As long as you have access to it often, that's what you're after. The goal is to continually experience a true surprise release. For me it was frightening at first. Once you've got a setup, then blank bale like crazy. Over and over and over again. Until your totally comfortable with feeling that surprise release. Then blank bale some more lol.

4) *This is probably the most important step to being consistently successful in the field and on the range. Listen to podcasts, YouTube videos, anything with Joel Turner talking about his controlled shooting process. Spend the $30, buy his book and read it. Implement what you've learned. It's a super short read but the knowledge and process itself is priceless IMO. This step changed the game for me and cured my target panic. Let's be honest, you can force a tension release to go off if you really want to. The silverback alone will help, but Joel will take you over the fishline.

I also have the nock 2 it and silverback, great combo and anchor point is the same. I used the silverback a lot when i first got it to overcome target panic. Now i just switch back a forth between it and the nock 2 it when practicing to not fall back into punching, collapsing and holding off target. I dont think i would hunt with the silverback myself but it sounds like it works fine for some people. My silverback doesn't have a hole for a wrist strap but the nock 2 it does which is nice. Not sure if there is newer version of the silverback with a hole in them or not, mine is pretty old. I do keep a backup nock 2 it in my pack while hunting anyway tho

OP
Jacob Chapman
I hunt exclusively with a silverback. I get excited about harvesting no matter what my target species is. Which is exactly why I hunt with a silverback. It's not as convenient as clipping on thumb button for whitetail but it helps keep me honest during my shot process.

I had target panic last season really bad, this season I shot my first robin hood at 40 yards and made the best shot of my life on the the biggest buck of my life. It "didn't go 20" (maybe 25). If your interested, I'll share what I think is a fool proof method to not only curing your target panic in 2022, but taking your archery and bowhunting game to the next level. At least, this is what worked for me.

1) There's a good chance you've already gone through the School of Nock on YouTube or are at least aware of it since your asking about hunting with a silverback. If you haven't gone through the video series and practiced what is taught. Start there.

2) Buy the silverback.

3) Get yourself setup with a safe blank baling setup. I hung a spiderweb target from the joists in my basement. There's probably a million way's to accomplish a blank bailing setup. As long as you have access to it often, that's what you're after. The goal is to continually experience a true surprise release. For me it was frightening at first. Once you've got a setup, then blank bale like crazy. Over and over and over again. Until your totally comfortable with feeling that surprise release. Then blank bale some more lol.

4) *This is probably the most important step to being consistently successful in the field and on the range. Listen to podcasts, YouTube videos, anything with Joel Turner talking about his controlled shooting process. Spend the $30, buy his book and read it. Implement what you've learned. It's a super short read but the knowledge and process itself is priceless IMO. This step changed the game for me and cured my target panic. Let's be honest, you can force a tension release to go off if you really want to. The silverback alone will help, but Joel will take you over the fishline.
I’ll check into the school of Nock and Joel’s stuff, thank you!