Similar system to Kryptek Vellus?

Titan_Bow

WKR
My Vellus has been used really hard over the last several years. It’s great for later season cold weather hunts. It’s quiet, waterproof, wind proof, and very warm. I use it for late season cow elk, winter rabbit hunts, whitetail tree stand hunting. You name it, if it’s cold, windy and snowing, I’m probably wearing it.
Saying all that, there are some things I don’t like, and I’m just testing the waters to see if there is anything comparable out there by the other hunting brands (or non hunting brands too)?
I hate that the leg zippers only come up to the top of your boot!! If they would have done a full leg zipper like on my Kuiu rain gear, I don’t think I would EVER use anything else for cold weather hunting! I also hate how bulky and heavy the set is. This may be unavoidable, but man, hiking into a tree stand spot, the top and bottoms damn near fill a backpack just my themselves! The other thing I don’t like is even though it’s fluffy fleece on the outside, it still has a waterproof membrane on the inside. When it’s really cold outside, trying to slip your hands into the pockets, the pockets basically contact this waterproof wind proof membrane, and it can be crinkly and loud. Especially sitting in a tree stand on a cold November morning!
Other than that, I love the set and have used the hell out it, just wanted to pick the brains of the WKR’s on this site and see what comparable options there are to the Vellus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
I have the Vellus Anorak and there’s really nothing like it out there—weatherproof and quiet. I didn’t get the pants, though, I just didn’t think they offered much in the features department.

Sitka’s Fanatic Line is really the only other option, but it isn’t made for hunting on the move—it’s for stand hunting. If you want weatherproof and insulation—you are looking at the Incinerator or Blizzard line from Sitka, which won’t be as quiet as the fanatic.

If you are willing to layer beneath it, you should look at the Sitka Thunderhead line…it’s a quiet outer layer on a goretex hard shell. I think it would perform well in cold weather. I have the gaiters and I’m impressed with how quiet they are for being waterproof.

There’s not much out there in other lines—maybe the Cabela’s Wooltimate stuff?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at their Aegis line? I don't have the Vellus but did a lot of research before getting the Aegis bibs. The outside is not as quiet as the Vellus but the bibs they are good enough for stand hunting. I would not use the Aegis top for stand hunting to much movement up top. The bibs have full length zips but not zip off and I have noticed no added noise using the pockets. As for packability not sure you will find anything but puffy down better and that comes with a whole new set of issues.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sitka Stratus is a more flexible option than the Fanatic line, but you still aren't going to get a full length side zip on them either. Everything is a tradeoff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk