Similar to a Cooper, but in a controlled round feed?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Since I must always have an ongoing research project, with unlimited rabbit holes and an end result that I purchase something that I *need*.....

I had been thinking about a larger bore rifle and had just about decided to add my 3rd Cooper to the safe (I have two model 52s, one classic and another Jackson Game, in 25-06 and 30-06, respectively). I had almost settled on the 300 Win Mag, but then switched to the 30 Nosler (90%), in part after reading the great "Battle of the 30's" thread (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/battle-of-the-30s.114369/). I even found a pretty sweet 52 chambered in 30 Nosler.

Then I got sidetracked on controlled round feed vs. push feed. I don't want to open up the CRF vs. PF debate here, but can anyone point me to something comparable to a Cooper that is CRF - and that is available in 30 Nosler? I've just spent some time looking at the Winchester 70s and Ruger Hawkeyes, but neither is available in 30 Nosler, and my *understanding/belief* is that each is maybe a bit lower in quality than the Coopers.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Sykes

WKR
The Fierce action is probaly as close as you'll get to a CRF in production rifle chambered in 30 nosler. Or for true CRF have something built.

The Fierce action is probaly as close as you'll get to a CRF in production rifle chambered in 30 nosler. Or for true CRF have something built.
Agreed. Fierce is probably the best bet for what his criteria is. Although. Sako also has CRF as well but I imagine the only intrest the OP would have from thier offerings would be the 300 Win Mag or the 338 Lapua Mag.

SDHNTR

WKR
Legendary Arms Works.

But again, for the same money, and similar action to the LAW, Alamo Precision could build you one of their Maverick models, built the way you want it, and you’d have it in 6 to 8 weeks.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Legendary Arms Works.

But again, for the same money, and similar action to the LAW, Alamo Precision could build you one of their Maverick models, built the way you want it, and you’d have it in 6 to 8 weeks.
Thanks for the names. I'm not familiar with either but will do some research. I've never ordered a custom gun. I think I understand the pros of doing so (such as I get exactly what I want), but I suspect there are tradeoffs too. Does a Cooper-like company obtain economies of scale that benefit the customer? And a Cooper-like company is a more known entity (I've held and fired them, and can go see others at various shops), whereas I can't do that with a custom shop. (I realize these questions are off my original topic.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for the names. I'm not familiar with either but will do some research. I've never ordered a custom gun. I think I understand the pros of doing so (such as I get exactly what I want), but I suspect there are tradeoffs too. Does a Cooper-like company obtain economies of scale that benefit the customer? And a Cooper-like company is a more known entity (I've held and fired them, and can go see others at various shops), whereas I can't do that with a custom shop. (I realize these questions are off my original topic.)

Good questions. If it’s of any value, I owned a Cooper .308 for less than a year. Beautiful gun, one hole groups, balanced perfectly. It just didn’t excite me and was too nice. I sold it and within minutes called up Alamo and had them build me another .308. They are that good. Customer service is fantastic.

Don’t be intimidated about the process. Call them and tell them how you like to shoot/hunt and they will offer good suggestions about the parts that can be customized. You’ll have more pride of ownership when you build it to spec. Even if it’s just the colors in the stock and Cerakote to make it your own.

I’m a huge CRF fan myself. I very much prefer that style of action. Your choices are either to buy a factory Winchester Model 70 or Ruger M77 (or a few others) and tear it down, likely rebarrel and do a lot of work to it, or have a custom or semi-custom build up from scratch on a custom CRF action. I’ve done it both ways and the latter is a much more efficient process. With the Maverick build at $500 off right now, it’s a no brainer IMO.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Good questions. If it’s of any value, I owned a Cooper .308 for less than a year. Beautiful gun, one hole groups, balanced perfectly. It just didn’t excite me and was too nice. I sold it and within minutes called up Alamo and had them build me another .308. They are that good. Customer service is fantastic.

Don’t be intimidated about the process. Call them and tell them how you like to shoot/hunt and they will offer good suggestions about the parts that can be customized. You’ll have more pride of ownership when you build it to spec. Even if it’s just the colors in the stock and Cerakote to make it your own.

I’m a huge CRF fan myself. I very much prefer that style of action. Your choices are either to buy a factory Winchester Model 70 or Ruger M77 (or a few others) and tear it down, likely rebarrel and do a lot of work to it, or have a custom or semi-custom build up from scratch on a custom CRF action. I’ve done it both ways and the latter is a much more efficient process. With the Maverick build at $500 off right now, it’s a no brainer IMO.
Is there a $500 off deal? I saw $2495 as start price. I did find one forum on which a few guys complained about promised vs actual completion dates. Maybe that could be mitigated with a lower deposit, or with an explanation of the other side of the story.

SDHNTR

WKR
Is there a $500 off deal? I saw $2495 as start price. I did find one forum on which a few guys complained about promised vs actual completion dates. Maybe that could be mitigated with a lower deposit, or with an explanation of the other side of the story.

That $2495 is $500 off. They used to be $3k. That’s your economy of scale. They do a lot of those Maverick builds so they buy the stocks, triggers and barrel blanks in bulk for better savings.

My experience has been the opposite. Between my buddy and I, they have done 3 builds. One exactly on time as promised, and the other two delivered a little earlier than stated. I’ve found them very easy to talk to, honest and reliable.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked at the X3 and it fits the bill, but I've also read about some CS and other complaints. Anyone here have one?

I have an X2 in .300 WSM. Not sure how it differs from the X3 but probably very similar. I've had it for about 4 years and have used it on a number of hunts. From warm weather to extreme cold. I've had no mechanical issues and it is very accurate. Smooth action and a good adjustable trigger...

Last edited: