Simple but possibly dumb question

I’ve been on here for a little while, and I’ve seen quite a few of y’all get very particular about barrel length, twist rate, and how all of these come into play for a more accurate/precise rifle. Is there a dedicated book/log/spreadsheet that would detail which barrel length benefits which caliber and heavier or lighter grain bullets?

Thank you

I don’t know of a particular spreadsheet for all that but I’m sure other members will post one if it exists. Reloading manuals usually specify the test barrel used for loads. Length, twist rate etc. from that one can usually surmise how going with a shorter or longer barrel can effect velocities. Most bullet manufacturers will specify ideal twist rates for stabilizing their bullets. Also they provide the minimum velocity for their bullets to still provide optimum performance. You kinda have to combine the two sources of information to make your rifle bullet combination work best for your application. For heavy for caliber bullets a fast twist rate is ideal. What’s fast for caliber can vary a lot. A fast 6mm would be 1-8” fast for .358 1-12”

OP
awildswanger
I don’t know of a particular spreadsheet for all that but I’m sure other members will post one if it exists. Reloading manuals usually specify the test barrel used for loads. Length, twist rate etc. from that one can usually surmise how going with a shorter or longer barrel can effect velocities. Most bullet manufacturers will specify ideal twist rates for stabilizing their bullets. Also they provide the minimum velocity for their bullets to still provide optimum performance. You kinda have to combine the two sources of information to make your rifle bullet combination work best for your application. For heavy for caliber bullets a fast twist rate is ideal. What’s fast for caliber can vary a lot. A fast 6mm would be 1-8” fast for .358 1-12”
Thank you for the help!!