Simple cooler upgrades

Until somebody buys me a nice roto molded cooler or I win won, I will be using the cheaper models. My complaint with them has always been that they never seem to hold ice as long as advertised. So, I decided to see what mods I could do to try and improve that.

20201006_155531.jpg

I started with an igloo polar 120 quart. I then added some ¼ weather stripping and some latches to pull the lid down tight and form a seal.

20201006_155543.jpg

Next up was the hinges. Some pieces of fire hose precut was sourced from amazon and came with stainless steel screws.

20201006_155558.jpg

20201006_155626.jpg

20201006_155652.jpg

For the inside, I used reflectix. Think of this as a roll of bubble wrap with a reflective film on both sides. It insulates very well and it is what I use for my diy coozie for cooking my dehydrated meals. Foil tape was used to secure the reflectix to the lid as I originally had it just setting on top of the ice and it worked very well, but I prefer this method more. Duct tape can be used to join the pieces together, but I found it doesn't do so well after sittling in water for days at a time. The other pieces were made to pull out to keep cleaning easy. The bottom piece just lays flat on the bottom, unsecured. The insert is also tall enough that when the lid closes, it folds in and sits against the piece on the inside of the lid, helping to try and ensure as much of the inside is insulated as possible

The lid strap was also replaced with a piece of ⅛ inch stainless steel cable.

20201006_155749.jpg

The latest piece i added was a pvc grate. I got tired of having meat and my meals ending up in a pool of water in the bottom. This was made with 1 inch pvc for a total of 2 inches of lift. It was cut to give a ½ inch clearance on all sides when installed. The grate keeps everything well above the drain plug and means there is no need to have the cooler tipped to one side to ensure it drains enough to keep things out of the water. Again, being removable makes cleaning easy.

Overall, I figure it keeps my ice another 2-3 days from what it originally did. I have since purchased another cooler and have done all of the same mods except for the reflectix, as my local Ace hardware was out.

I plan on doing a test on the ice longevity between the 2 to see just how much the reflectix actually does and if it is worth it, as its the most expensive piece of this project.

Here is a price breakdown:

Igloo polar 120 qt cooler $57
Latches $5 for 2
Weather stripping $1 (dollar store find)
Hinges $13
⅛ steel cable $1 for 2 feet
⅛ cable ferrule $3 pack of 4 (2 needed)
Reflectix $24 for 8 feet of 24" tall (cut from a bulk roll)
Foil tape $6
Total: $110

So for around a $100, I have a cooler that does pretty well for me.

EastMT

WKR
I have also filled cheap cooler lids with foam, use the non expanding drill an entrance hole, air hole on the other side up high. Fill it up. Helps a lot as well. That’s the biggest downside to cheap coolers, most don’t fill the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Nice, thanks for posting. May try the latches and grate at the bottom for starters. I've tried some other methods that work to keep the meat on top, plus putting bags of ice in contractor garbage bags on top of the meat, but the grate looks like a nice addition!

Luckyrxc

FNG
Thanks for sharing these mods. I’m going to inject the lid with foam and add the weather strip. I always keep a river strap around these cheapie coolers to keep the lids down but I like your ideas and will do them after my hinges and latches break. We all know that’s a matter of when, rather than if. I freeze a case of 16.9 oz water bottles and lay them in the bottom. They keep meat and food out of the water and blood And the cooler can still be drained when desired. They may work better for you since they add cooling and don’t introduce airspace.

TX_Diver

WKR
I like the PVC grate.

Just wrapping a cooler in a tarp to keep the sun off it makes a huge difference. I had lots of ice left at 8 days after my early september trip this year. Cooler was in truck bed under a Tonneau cover. Sunny with temps in the 70s almost every day. Had about 70lbs of ice and my food in it. Last year I struggled to keep ice more than 4 days in direct sunlight.

My other favorite is freezing 2L bottles of water (or even 1gal bottles) and using those instead of cubed ice. Much cleaner and also seems to stay cool a bit longer.

Also, if you can "pre-cool" the cooler by throwing 20-40 lbs of ice it overnight the day before you pack your cooler will make a huge difference.

Saiselgi

FNG
I’ve had the same igloo cooler sitting in the back of my truck under the sun for about 3 years. Still does it’s job quite well, I just need it for getting meat home. I’m not camping overnight. I’ve been tempted to get a roto molded cooler many times but for my needs it’s unnecessary.

Cool upgrades, way to be creative.

I have a hard time spending a bunch on a heavy cooler I only use a couple of times a year. I have the Coleman Extreme. I put frozen 2L bottles in it so I dont have water to deal with. My wife likes to order the meal kits so I have saved the insulation from them and I use it to line the cooler and fill the voids. I have yet to see my frozen 2L bottles thaw out before I got home from a hunting trip.

I never thought about the lids not being insulated. I will have to check that out and fill with foam.

I cut down my wifes cutting board for a divider for my 18 year old igloo,also use one or two plastic mike crates to use like a basket,you can even fasten standoffs to them to get them up higher.

Like your pvc idea i took an old metal shelving rack an bent it and cut it to fit my rtc to do the same thing. Is the 2' enuff? I made mine about 4-5 to keep meat above the ice but that also takes up a lot of space.