Simple cooler upgrades

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I recently built a big cooler out of 2" thick styrofoam insulation and fiberglass. I may redo it for a few reasons but one thing I did with the scraps I had left over was build an inner cooler, which fits inside the main cooler.

The inner cooler is made of 2 layers of 2" insulation, which makes for walls 4" thick. It was cut to fit inside my cooler, meaning a total of 6" of styrofoam. I haven't tested it to see how long it will keep ice but I would think a week in hot weather shouldn't be a problem.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I recently built a big cooler out of 2" thick styrofoam insulation and fiberglass. I may redo it for a few reasons but one thing I did with the scraps I had left over was build an inner cooler, which fits inside the main cooler.

The inner cooler is made of 2 layers of 2" insulation, which makes for walls 4" thick. It was cut to fit inside my cooler, meaning a total of 6" of styrofoam. I haven't tested it to see how long it will keep ice but I would think a week in hot weather shouldn't be a problem.
Would love to see pictures of that cooler if you're willing to share any.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

BKehoe05

FNG
Build the pvc rack the same as you would any irrigation system. Tees, caps, 90's etc., all watertight. In place of one slip on cap, install a threaded plug. Fill the pvc "rack" 70% full of water and freeze it. Kill two birds one stone, a reusable ice pack that keeps your meat off the wet bottom. If your freezers won't fit a rack that size, build two smaller ones and lay them side by side
I am totally in on this idea. Actually maybe just Pex tubing would work frozen as well as long as it was a predetermined shape.

Gonna have to try the non expanding foam idea. Thanks for that.

I do normally put a sheet of camping mat foam over the ice and it does help some. Anything to separate the ice from the warm air above it.

Mosby

WKR
I buy really good coolers and put cool stickers on the outside to make It look even.....cooler.

Then I fill it and put a wool blanket over the top when in use.

CapnKM

FNG
I did a one piece stitched together reflectix liner for mine that gets pulled out for cleaning. Then I like to do the frozen gallon bottles for block ice and frozen smaller water bottles to fill in the gaps and provide drinking bottles as we go. Don't have to worry about food floating when all the water is contained. Also had the weather bulb seal around the lid but it let go after a few trips and didn't bother to redo it. All this extended ice retention from a day or two out to about five days.

Definitely like the idea of foam filling the lid

CapnKM

FNG
Also for any of you fellers that have tried the reflectix cover on the outside of the cooler, how well does it work for you and how well does it hold up? My coolers get kinda beat up in the back of my truck so I'd imagine that cover would get thrashed pretty quick.