Single Best Workout to Prepare For Elk Hunting?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Diligence is your best workout 🤙 a little of everything routinely that you are committed to. When young it is easy, and as the decades pass you better find what works for you and stay committed. good luck and on to planning 2023🤙

Dgregory

FNG
I’m digging the suggestions here. HIIT, rowing, CrossFit. Last year all my prep revolved around stairs or walking with a pack at medium to full load. When I got to altitude I was woefully underprepared. Hiking on a flat surface at sea level didn’t do anything to prepare cardio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still contend the best way to prepare to move through the mountains, is move through the mountains. Realizing this isn't possible for everyone- a well balanced approach of lots of Zone 2 hiking/running (some Zone 3/4 splashed in on occasion); a progressive lifting regime that concentrates on large compound movements (squats/deadlifts/overhead press/bench/etc); a weighted rucking program (I don't start mine until 8 weeks out of season) that errs on the side of caution- injuries suck (never saw the need to train with 100 lb loads, but never had too much drama hauling 100 lb loads out of the field) and some daily mobility work

and the overlying tenent of everything- consistency; avoid the hype and don't look for miracles in the 8 week Rugged Tough Ass Mountain Man workout :D

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Consistency is the way. All my best gains have come from simple, intentional work that fits frictionlessly into everyday life.

If I could only do one thing for the rest of my life, it'd be my daily dog walk carrying a single kettlebell. Usually 30-40 minutes, lots of lunges, and alternating grips. This alone has been life-changing.

Luckily, my schedule permits me to do a bit more and It's been confidence-inspiring to say the least.

• 8 hours of sound sleep
  • A few minutes of mobility work every morning
  • Zone two cardio: Minimum 4 hours per week.
  • Lifting: 4-ish days per week. 1 compound lift, 1 or 2 movements to support that compound lift + a METCON.
  • Finally, a diet built around 200 g protein + Plenty of water
There's no replacement for being in the mountains, but dang if I haven't felt prepared every day I've laced up the boots these last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
I still contend the best way to prepare to move through the mountains, is move through the mountains. Realizing this isn't possible for everyone- a well balanced approach of lots of Zone 2 hiking/running (some Zone 3/4 splashed in on occasion); a progressive lifting regime that concentrates on large compound movements (squats/deadlifts/overhead press/bench/etc); a weighted rucking program (I don't start mine until 8 weeks out of season) that errs on the side of caution- injuries suck (never saw the need to train with 100 lb loads, but never had too much drama hauling 100 lb loads out of the field) and some daily mobility work

and the overlying tenent of everything- consistency; avoid the hype and don't look for miracles in the 8 week Rugged Tough Ass Mountain Man workout :D

This is the cold, hard truth right here.

Poser

WKR

Poser

WKR

Poser

WKR

This may be the single best “workout plan”
for Elk.

I’ll be hunting archery Elk for the first time in September. I live at around 750 ft elevation and there is nothing over 2k in the state. This is my loose plan for the year. Feel free to poke holes or offer advice. I believe I’m on the right track but I have limited experience with any altitude so that will be a wildcard. I’m 37.

So far, Jan1-Now I have been lifting 6 days a week. Mon-Sat with progression on squat and bench
Mon/Thurs
Bbell Bench and BBell rows
Tues/Fri
DB Shrugs, front and side raises
Wed/Sat
Squats and SLDL’s

After lifting Ive been hitting the treadmill for low intensity work.

Monday I’ve been doing a treadmill ruck/ workout with my pack on. Started weight at 36 lbs and am now at 49lbs and intend to stay there.

Tues thru Sat no weight just jogging 30 mins at 6 mph, which is a nice easy conversational pace for me.

Next week I will be on vacation and will only do some light jogging. When I return my plan is 6 weeks of progressive 5x5 with 2 workouts alternated. Lifting only Mon/Wed/Fri alternating below workouts
5x5 Squat
5x5 Bench
5x5 Bbell rows

5x5 Squat
5x5 overhead press
1x3 Deadlift

I plan to continue Mon treadmill rucks 60-90 mins and 30 mins of jogging Tues-Sat during this time.

After those 6 weeks it’ll be mid April. I plan to then strength train only twice a week, with some programming involving squats, hang cleans, walking lunges and Bulgarian split squats. For upper body I will switch to push-ups and pull-ups.

At this point I’ll keep rucking Monday only with a lot time spent at 12% incline and some outdoor days as well. Tues/Thurs will be easy run/jog working up to 7 miles. Wednesday will be training at a higher intensity. I’ll probably alternate tempo type runs and 400-800m intervals. Saturday will be a long slow run progressing to 10-12 miles as summer gets going. I plan to continue this up until my trip with some tapering the last 3 weeks.

I like working out, being fit and having something to work towards.

Poser

WKR
This may be the single best “workout plan”
for Elk.

I’ll be hunting archery Elk for the first time in September. I live at around 750 ft elevation and there is nothing over 2k in the state. This is my loose plan for the year. Feel free to poke holes or offer advice. I believe I’m on the right track but I have limited experience with any altitude so that will be a wildcard. I’m 37.

So far, Jan1-Now I have been lifting 6 days a week. Mon-Sat with progression on squat and bench
Mon/Thurs
Bbell Bench and BBell rows
Tues/Fri
DB Shrugs, front and side raises
Wed/Sat
Squats and SLDL’s

After lifting Ive been hitting the treadmill for low intensity work.

Monday I’ve been doing a treadmill ruck/ workout with my pack on. Started weight at 36 lbs and am now at 49lbs and intend to stay there.

Tues thru Sat no weight just jogging 30 mins at 6 mph, which is a nice easy conversational pace for me.

Next week I will be on vacation and will only do some light jogging. When I return my plan is 6 weeks of progressive 5x5 with 2 workouts alternated. Lifting only Mon/Wed/Fri alternating below workouts
5x5 Squat
5x5 Bench
5x5 Bbell rows

5x5 Squat
5x5 overhead press
1x3 Deadlift

I plan to continue Mon treadmill rucks 60-90 mins and 30 mins of jogging Tues-Sat during this time.

After those 6 weeks it’ll be mid April. I plan to then strength train only twice a week, with some programming involving squats, hang cleans, walking lunges and Bulgarian split squats. For upper body I will switch to push-ups and pull-ups.

At this point I’ll keep rucking Monday only with a lot time spent at 12% incline and some outdoor days as well. Tues/Thurs will be easy run/jog working up to 7 miles. Wednesday will be training at a higher intensity. I’ll probably alternate tempo type runs and 400-800m intervals. Saturday will be a long slow run progressing to 10-12 miles as summer gets going. I plan to continue this up until my trip with some tapering the last 3 weeks.

I like working out, being fit and having something to work towards.

I’d say the biggest factor is whether or not you actually need the volume of 5x5 vs. 3x5. Doing progressive 5x5 squats 3 days a week is a serious amount of volume. Depending on your age, training history and how much sleep you are getting, I’d venture that it may be unnecessary volume that you don’t need. The thing with strength training is you don’t get extra credit for doing extra volume. You only need enough volume to drive the adoration to our 5 lbs on the bar for the next session. Excessive volume will stall your progress more than it will help it (I know, I know… “keep hammering” and all of that bullshit, but the goal here is maximal strength not IG stories)

I’d say the biggest factor is whether or not you actually need the volume of 5x5 vs. 3x5. Doing progressive 5x5 squats 3 days a week is a serious amount of volume. Depending on your age, training history and how much sleep you are getting, I’d venture that it may be unnecessary volume that you don’t need. The thing with strength training is you don’t get extra credit for doing extra volume. You only need enough volume to drive the adoration to our 5 lbs on the bar for the next session. Excessive volume will stall your progress more than it will help it (I know, I know… “keep hammering” and all of that bullshit, but the goal here is maximal strength not IG stories)
For sure, that makes sense to me. To clarify the 5x5 will be total and include lighter warm up sets working up to a top set. Example, Bench 135, 185, 205, 225, 235 all for 5. In 6 weeks it’ll be a total of 18 squat workouts. For squat I intend to start at a top set of just 225 increasing 5 lbs a workout gets me to 315 as a top set at the end of 6 weeks. I have a fair amount of lifting experience, I think I can handle the volume. I do love sets of 2 or 3 on squat….I’ve been lifting pretty consistently the last 4 years fall to spring. After pretty much a decade off since college.

The thing I’ve gone back and forth on is the the jogging. I’ve always found it easier to gain strength with little to no running. But I would prefer to keep a decent base fitness level while trying to progress strength. I think by keeping it to just 30 mins of easy jogging I’ll do ok. If it seems too taxing I can cut back. I’ll need to eat and sleep well like you said.

Poser

WKR
For sure, that makes sense to me. To clarify the 5x5 will be total and include lighter warm up sets working up to a top set. Example, Bench 135, 185, 205, 225, 235 all for 5. In 6 weeks it’ll be a total of 18 squat workouts. For squat I intend to start at a top set of just 225 increasing 5 lbs a workout gets me to 315 as a top set at the end of 6 weeks. I have a fair amount of lifting experience, I think I can handle the volume. I do love sets of 2 or 3 on squat….I’ve been lifting pretty consistently the last 4 years fall to spring. After pretty much a decade off since college.

The thing I’ve gone back and forth on is the the jogging. I’ve always found it easier to gain strength with little to no running. But I would prefer to keep a decent base fitness level while trying to progress strength. I think by keeping it to just 30 mins of easy jogging I’ll do ok. If it seems too taxing I can cut back. I’ll need to eat and sleep well like you said.

Couple of conditioning alternatives to jogging that are more “gains friendly”: prowler intervals (pushing is more productive than pulling), rowing intervals, KB swings. Could also consider sprints if you just prefer to run. It doesn’t take as much volume as many people seem to think to maintain a baseline conditioning effect if you are already strength training. If you have your strength and baseline conditioning in order, pretty efficient to get “in shape” for a hunting trip on a ~6-8 week timeline.

Just do something. Anything active.

Don’t think too much about it and get out there and make it a habit.

I love misery afterwards but never upfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiking up and down hills with a heavy pack then pack it heavier until you can do it with a 100 Lbs
This would be stupid. This kind of weight isn't feasible for 95% of the back country hunters and only encouraging someone to injure themselves. Train within your limits and build stamina and balance and yes increase your pack weight but not to the point it can injure you if have a miss step or fall. Trust me been there done it!

MAP1

FNG
Running hands down. I’m from out east so my time in the mountains off season is zero. I run a few days a week and lift. come elk season I have zero problems in the mountains.