Single Best Workout to Prepare For Elk Hunting?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
this has always been one of my favorite workouts :D

Qt2tNoK.png

beejwest

FNG
@beejwest by "great workout", you mean "death"; right? :) In all seriousness, I've found little that compares to weighted pack progressions (look up Mike Prevost's ruck plans) and weighted tire drags. They're both miserable and insanely effective.
Gets you ready for those steep pulls while loaded! I love it!

WKR
I agree with everyone who said some variation of rucking/hiking/weighted carries. This is the most valuable thing because it is specific physical preparedness.

But are you likely to be able to do that more than once or twice a week? Probably not.

So the gym work on the other days has value too for general physical preparedness. Training for general strength and mobility develops the hunter’s chassis and prepares it for the specific work.

Retired spec ops soldier Pat McNamara has certainly done a lot of rucking. Yet he speaks of the importance of developing the “combat chassis.” I believe there is a lesson there for hunters.

Last edited:
44 replies… I think this entire thread could be summed up with get out there and hike with some backpack weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwpete21

FNG
I havent been on an Elk Hunt, but I have done the Bataan Memorial Death March a few times. Actually putting in miles with a pack is the best for getting better at putting in miles with a pack.

That said I also use the stair stepper, high rep squats and deadlifts, and running.

*zap*

WKR
Sure, hiking/rucking is great but there is a lot of benefit from doing the correct types of full body strength training....especially the mid section from your mid core to your mid thigh..that is probably the weakest link that many people have and I believe the area that declines first as we age,.

JD Jones

WKR
Not sure if it’s best but I focus on cardio and it works but I lift and do CrossFit style workouts as well. Rucks with my pack all year and plenty of regular backpacking

Seeknelk

WKR
-Hiking hills with and without pack for the Best Single Winner of Elk Training!
But
- Don't spend a ton of time with a super heavy pack. 80 percent of time in zone 1 and 2 heart rate. 20 percent high level heart rates.
- Don't chase fatigue and failure constantly, as a measure of training effectiveness.
- The proper dose for best progress is less than your maximum survivable dose.
-Maybe once a month train into that gnarly zone....it's called testing. Maybe something from mountain tough or simply summit that certain climb for a new PR.
Others
-Sprint hills 1 time a week if you want. Go easy at first.
-Simple and sinister kettlebell.
- Strength train, 2 or 3 full body sessions with the basic , big compound lifts. Follow a measured progressive plan like starting strength, 5x5, etc.
Now I need to get to it!😁

rdfish1

FNG
Interesting to see how much feedback there is in response to the question. Guess I’m not adding much to what has already been said but I put weight in a backpack and climb 18 flights of stairs, 4 times, usually 1o min each trip up and down for 40 min. I also do other cardio but the stairs seem neat

JesseBYOE

FNG
Running bleachers is the best I've found. Thankfully even small town TX high school stadiums have some serious bleachers. Running them works both your lungs and your legs. I've added up to 30 lbs on a weighted pack before. Once I tried 50 and hurt my knee and set myself back two months. But just running them without weight is better than anything you can do on flat ground IMO.
I like the resourcefulness! Going to have to find a stadium nearby.

Ruck, but do at a decent pace to get your heart rate up.

Last season I felt my legs were in great shape, but man was I sucking wind!

rodney482

WKR
Im 50 and fat
Cardio and pack training

I will jog 15 miles a week and hike w my pack (50#) another 10 miles a week.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly man just get in the groove of flipping grinding it out. Embrace the suck, enjoy the DOMS. After 5 years of trying all this shit I’ve come to the conclusion that two a days work best for me. One 45 minute strength workout and one 45 minute rucking working. Depending on what your comfortable with adjust the weight. I started with heavy weight walks which was 50% of my body weight for 45 minutes. Then as the year would progress I would mix up lower weight rucks and I put ankle weights on and do the same.

I have tried so many different “fad” type programs and would feel real good the first 3-4 days or first 20-40 miles but then I’d just crash day 5-10…doing seperate cardio and strength sessions EVERY day has helped. Make sure you pound the water and daily vitamins every going at it day in and day out all year.

Don’t be the guy who waits till July.

Nothing gets you ready for carrying heavy stuff up and down steep hills better than carrying heavy stuff up and down steep hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. SAID.