Single Bevel…worth it?

TheViking

WKR
I have shot two bulls now with a single bevel broadhead. One was a Kudu Point 125 and most recently was an Iron Will. Both heads left great entry wounds, both ended up lodging in the offside shoulder. Both killed the bulls quickly.

Both times the broadhead came out pretty beat up. Which is understandable, they went through ribs and into bone in the shoulder. Not many heads survive this situation.

Single bevels inherently have a weaker edge, but give you that rotation, which in my opinion does leave a bigger entry wound, and in theory does more tissue damage. Why wouldn’t it, it’s rotating?

But if that edge gets damaged easier, it loses its sharpness and retention a lot quicker.

When you shoot a high end head, that is one of the main advantages - strength and edge retention. But if you’re losing that retention with the weaker edge, are you really gaining anything?

This post is not nock on either head, they are both fantastic and two of my favorites.

So is it worth it to shoot a SB?

The kudu was shot out of a Mathews VXR 31 at 77#s, 30” DL, 565 grain arrow, 43 yard impact.

The IW was shot out of a Mathews V3X 33 at 72#s, 30” DL, 500 grain arrow, 48 yard impact.

Both setups have a lot of energy. Again, not many heads would hold up very well.

Here are a few pics of the heads:

748c51c6e75bb7693a95594012042430.jpg

b95ba236916cbb1d2ab3d8c8ddee67cb.jpg

9c5ec9a301b1e4de94a775d4532f15eb.jpg

5c20c4e31e35e8264b0966f98cf2580e.jpg

a0902ac089079cf555d3d3e9c1288700.jpg

Ive killed a couple bulls and other animals with the Kudu’s . Each time the head was beat up and I’m fine with it because it did its job. This was on a bull

0c3fb7156e908fd6ef0ac854f64c859f.jpg

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
Hmm, I wonder the same. My SB 125gr Ironwill this year was wrecked too. Double lung didn't break through any ribs, the fletching hung up on the offside hide. Didn't hit any big bones, the broad head was lying on a rock with the arrow broken next to the dead bull but it certainly didn't impact the rock.
Not the best picture, I zoomed in on a wider picture, but you can still kinda see the chips out of the edge.

AE502B21-E5E8-4C50-A8D9-63DA2FDE4EBF_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• AE502B21-E5E8-4C50-A8D9-63DA2FDE4EBF_1_201_a.jpeg
    AE502B21-E5E8-4C50-A8D9-63DA2FDE4EBF_1_201_a.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 61

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
Chips out of the edge wouldn’t concern me as much as the bent blade on the Kudu point. Gives me the impression that it could turn to the side on a hard bone hit on entry rather than punch through…just my impression though.

Hunt260

FNG
I don’t like the bent blade on the kudu, I wouldn’t use them for that reason. I don’t think the single bevel offers a ton of advantage for a guy shooting high poundage and long draw, let’s be honest, a 4 blade fixed head would have probably gone through and lodged in the off shoulder. A good mechanical might have too.

Edge bending/chipping is definitely more of a risk with a single bevel head than with a double bevel. If the chipping on your IW blade can't be smoothed out with a sharpener, IW might replace it under warranty.

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
Edge bending/chipping is definitely more of a risk with a single bevel head than with a double bevel. If the chipping on your IW blade can't be smoothed out with a sharpener, IW might replace it under warranty.
I filed a claim and showed them the pictures. The bleeder blade was banged up, but I said that I could potentially work the main blade out on a stone, and left it up to their discretion. New main blade and bleeder in the mail the next day - fantastic customer service.

MThuntr

WKR
I think the Kudu is a lighter metal than the IW. I think the rotational forces on those heads is a bit much for the metal used. They're fairly wide too so maybe that has something to do with it. A recent few podcasts by someone at IW suggested they preferred the double edge of the broadhead. I feel like the bleeders are a "consumable" portion of IW heads and a pack should include a couple extras.

I've been a fan of Magnus broadheads but the last few deer have bent the front of the broadhead. I need to send some 6 heads for their lifetime replacements. I recently ordered some Crimson Talon Cleavers which are an economy single bevel because I can't justify the cost of IW with a risk of losing them or them not honoring a warranty (not that it's a risk since they seem to be great people). The heads from Crimson Talon spin great and are less than 1grain variation but are going to require extensive sharpening before I can hunt with them. If they don't work I'll go back to my Magnus.

Long Cut

WKR
IMO guys with higher draw weight and length don’t benefit from single bevels on deer, elk etc...

Single bevels shine with trad bows, lighter/shorter draw setups and extremely large African game.

I draw 72# at 29” hunting 100-200# Whitetails... I’m shooting mechanicals or 4 blade fixed blades.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there would’ve been a different end result had you used a heavier (200gr.) of either model? End of the day, two beat up broadheads = 2 dead bulls

Fullfan

WKR
Hmm, I wonder the same. My SB 125gr Ironwill this year was wrecked too. Double lung didn't break through any ribs, the fletching hung up on the offside hide. Didn't hit any big bones, the broad head was lying on a rock with the arrow broken next to the dead bull but it certainly didn't impact the rock.
Not the best picture, I zoomed in on a wider picture, but you can still kinda see the chips out of the edge.

View attachment 459019
Did you contact IW? Curious as to what they will say and do about a warntee. Let me know

mtnkid85

WKR
Did you contact IW? Curious as to what they will say and do about a warntee. Let me know
I didn't, I was able to mostly resharpen it. It still has a few chips in it but Ill use it as my practice head and put it in 3rd place in my quiver. This is the first IW Ive actually recovered, some how Ive killed 3 other critters and lost all the broad heads on the shot before this one, so Im just happy that I got this one back!

Long Cut

WKR
I didn't, I was able to mostly resharpen it. It still has a few chips in it but Ill use it as my practice head and put it in 3rd place in my quiver. This is the first IW Ive actually recovered, some how Ive killed 3 other critters and lost all the broad heads on the shot before this one, so Im just happy that I got this one back!

Jesus!

I lost one after a broken arrow pass through. I literally got a metal detector to find that dang broadhead

mtnkid85

WKR
Jesus!

I lost one after a broken arrow pass through. I literally got a metal detector to find that dang broadhead
Thats a good move! I might pack a metal detector into one of the spots! The damn bull died within sight, but he rolled ~75yrds down a steep timbered hillside. The arrow broke into three pieces and I found two of them, I think the front of the arrow got pushed into the ground! The other one the bull went a long ways and I never did find the arrow, then I passed one through a sheep and watched the arrow ricochet off a rock and get sent into space out over a big cliff, didn't even bother looking for that one!

After loosing those, then wrecking this single bevel Im seriously considering going back to a cheap head. When the big selling point is being able to reuse these heads, its pretty disappointing when one gets wrecked under normal use.

Long Cut

WKR
Thats a good move! I might pack a metal detector into one of the spots! The damn bull died within sight, but he rolled ~75yrds down a steep timbered hillside. The arrow broke into three pieces and I found two of them, I think the front of the arrow got pushed into the ground! The other one the bull went a long ways and I never did find the arrow, then I passed one through a sheep and watched the arrow ricochet off a rock and get sent into space out over a big cliff, didn't even bother looking for that one!

After loosing those, then wrecking this single bevel Im seriously considering going back to a cheap head. When the big selling point is being able to reuse these heads, its pretty disappointing when one gets wrecked under normal use.

Completely understand that. Ive gone back to smaller cutting mechanicals like Sevr & Grim Reaper for that reason. I hunt Georgia and a big buck might Weight 200# live weight. With my draw weight in the mid 70’s I’m not overly concerned.

Love Iron Wills but they’re not any cheaper than buying a 3 pack and tossing them after 1 shot lol