Single cam bow and tube peeps

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
My old (no longer new) bow has a single cam on the bottom limb. The guys at what seems to be a reputable shop in Anchorage said I couldn't possibly use a lighter peep sight without a tube.
I'm trying to get it set up specifically for whitetail hunting (tree stands mostly) at the farm and would love to get rid of the rubber band. I had it pop off last summer which didn't cost me anything but would be a bummer drawing on a live critter.

True or false:
A single cam bow has to have a peep with a tube attached to keep it straight?

OR Archer

WKR
False. Not sure where they got that nonsense from. A good loop tied properly should bring the peep straight at full draw. Now if the string is old and warn it can cause issues. Weight of the peep has zero influence on peep rotation.

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Weight of the peep has zero influence on peep rotation.

I was looking to go lighter; they didn't indicate the weight had anything to do with it but that the single cam necessitated a big, heavy peep with a tube. Strings are in great shape so that shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds like I need to start skipping the cool kid bow shop in Anchorage.

Single cam here.
Struggled with the peep twisting without a tube until I pointed out to the tech that the loop wasn't square to the peep.
Problem solved.

jmez

WKR
How long has the current string been on the bow and is it a factory string? Just because it looks ok doesn't mean a lot. Strings stretch as they age and wear. The stretching of the string is what will make the peep not want to come back straight. You may have to replace the string. You don't need a peep tube.

Ive shot the Bowmadness for quit sometime , never had a tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot Mathews Solo Cam bows from 2003 - 2015 and never used a tubing peep. Get the conventional peep installed right with a good string loop and you should have minimal alignment issues.

TJ

WKR
Like others have said, a good string and correctly tied loop you won't have a problem.

bwlacy

WKR
False. You can shoot a single cam without a tube or loop is so desired. Just need high quality string and the peep tied in correctly and you won't have any rotation problems. I've set up dozens of single cam bows with no tubing. Some with loops some without. If they wrap the serving in the wrong direction when tying in the peep or reserving the string you will have rotation problems even with a high quality string.
I'd find a new shop!

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone.
The string (factory) is less than a year old but was shot a few times every week for the first six months of ownership.
As I mentioned, I'm trying to get this bow set up specifically for tree stand hunting in wisco; it's small enough to travel easy and in all but one of my stands at the farm 30 yards would be a looong shot, so relatively low performance doesn't bother me.
That said, the tube needs to go. Maybe I'll get a set of new, high quality strings ordered up to boot.

Looks like I'll be driving 45 minutes to get to a bow shop from here on out....

bwlacy

WKR
Thanks everyone.
The string (factory) is less than a year old but was shot a few times every week for the first six months of ownership.
As I mentioned, I'm trying to get this bow set up specifically for tree stand hunting in wisco; it's small enough to travel easy and in all but one of my stands at the farm 30 yards would be a looong shot, so relatively low performance doesn't bother me.
That said, the tube needs to go. Maybe I'll get a set of new, high quality strings ordered up to boot.

Looks like I'll be driving 45 minutes to get to a bow shop from here on out....

Honestly just get some tools and do most of that simple stuff yourself. Serving, tying in peeps, kisser buttons, loops, etc... are all really easy to do and it's a good skill to have anyway. If something happens during the season and you need a quick repair it sucks to have to drive to a shop.

Tons of great info online, articles, you tube, etc...

It does become an obsession though. Next you'll want a press, scale, draw board, arrow saw, etc.. Now I do work for several guys every year :)