Single man shelters

I’m looking at a couple options for single man shelters, just for myself, my packs feelings won’t get hurt getting left outside for the night under the pack cover. I always rock a tarp out as well so I can set that up for better sitting room. I just want something light, floored, enough room to sleep in, I’m only 5’10 but 240 lbs

So far I’ve got on the list is the

stone glacier sky air full set up (tent mesh vestibule) what ever you need for a full tent

Big Agnes copper spur 1 man

I don’t see to many options for 1 man tents

Looking for some reviews on the two above or any other options out there, not two man tents, I already have a tipi if I share with 2-3 people.

BBob

WKR
There are lots of 1 man tents out there. A few to get started on.
Tarptent: Aeon Li, Notch Li or the new Dipole Li
MSR
Hilleburg
Durston
Z-Packs

OP
Brook.Trout
There are lots of 1 man tents out there. A few to get started on.
Tarptent: Aeon Li, Notch Li or the new Dipole Li
MSR
Hilleburg
Durston
Z-Packs
Any reviews on these tarptents? Never looked into those or even duration I’ll have to check em out. They looks like wind would shred them apart, I have an msr two man and it leaks no super impressed. I’ve heard bad things about a packs.

BBob

WKR
Any reviews on these tarptents?
Many on Rokslide use them. They’ve been discussed quite a bit here and there. I have a Notch Li that I use a lot. Sometimes just the fly with a bivy under but if bugs are out I’ll use the whole thing. mtwarden has a Aeon Li he uses and shows in many of his trip reports. Many others so you might search. They also make other 1 person tents that aren’t DCF so they are a little heavier but also lower cost.
The new Dipole:

EdP

WKR
Here is my Kuiu Summit Star one person tent and Seek Outside DST tarp set-up. There is actually more sitting room than the pic shows because the tent vestibule is down. There is enough room for me in the nest and room for my pack in the vestible. The pack doesn't have to go outside. The tent pole does double duty as the center prop for the DST.

Attachments

• 20211110_150202.jpg
    20211110_150202.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 280

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Six Moon Designs - Lunar Solo is another option. It’s relatively light and inexpensive with good room inside for one person. I haven’t had mine out that much but I did ride out one storm that was pretty wild and the tent didn’t shred apart. I trust it to hold together even if it isn’t real pleasant.

The Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2 is under two pounds and freestanding. Compare that to the 1-person Big Agnes Copper Spur you listed above, which is 2 lb 6oz. Hard to beat if you are prioritizing weight-to-space and packability over durability, warmth, etc.

Steelhead

FNG
Another TarpTent user here for "floored" shelters.
I have a Moment DW for true single-man size and use. Super easy and quick to setup and can be used with just the inner net or outter tarp if you want to go floorless.
You might consider looking at a two-man tent just for some extra elbow room without much weight gain. I used the TT Double-rainbow for several years until an asshole bear destroyed it while I was out of camp this season. No food or good smells inside, just a jerk bear moved in and hammered a couple of our groups tents!

I havent fielded mine yet but I have high hopes for my durston 1 person shelter. I would say think twice about gear outside. Soaked and semifrozen gear sucks in bad weather. Better to have it under cover IMO.

Hard to beat Hilleberg. Hilleberg Soulo is the best of the best if weatherproof and durable are your top concerns. Followed by the Hilleberg Akto and then the Enan.

If you are looking for lighter weight and durability is not as big of a concern (along with saving yourself a few bones) MSR Hubba and Big Agnes Copper Spur would be where I would look.

AndyB

WKR
Absolutely no complaints with the summit star.
Plenty of sitting up room. Pack and bow under the fly.
Fly, mesh inner with bathtub floor, and footprint under 1kg.

Attachments

• F4667AC0-177A-4ECB-8645-845FFF4F3140.jpeg
    F4667AC0-177A-4ECB-8645-845FFF4F3140.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 233
  • F5865550-9A90-4FB2-8AAB-85A0DB651D89.jpeg
    F5865550-9A90-4FB2-8AAB-85A0DB651D89.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
I own BA Copper Spur UL1 and Zpacks Duplex. I love both! The zpacks is waaaaay lighter but waaaaay more $.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Certainly spend some time on backpacking light, good info there.

I have a lot of experience with one man tents. One thing you 100% need is good ventilation. Multiple ways. Single wall one mans especially. Lots of them really suck. For summertime things are all good, but for extended backpack hunts not as much. The Deeper into the season you go the more this becomes apparent.

The SG design is good, can handle wind, and fits places. It’s crazy light. Downsides are snow can really deflect it, extended, very heavy rain can slightly wick through seams if unsealed, and while wide, with the innner changing requires some laying down gymnastics. But being light as hell, makes sense. It’s better early season than when weather is possible.

I think the durston xmid, having seen and been in one in-person, is a really compelling design, like too dawg for trek pole supported 1 mans. Dual poles really change the game for livability and gear space.

Hunthigh1

WKR
A Bear killed my tarptent rainbow after 6 years of use this year. I can’t bring myself to buy something different to replace it. 35 OZ, under $300, the ability to add extra support for high wind or snow load. That “1p” tent has enough space to keep my pack and gear inside, or camp with the lady as a 2 person. Something you def don’t get with the BA fly creek. Tents

MT_Wyatt

WKR
A Bear killed my tarptent rainbow after 6 years of use this year. I can’t bring myself to buy something different to replace it. 35 OZ, under $300, the ability to add extra support for high wind or snow load. That “1p” tent has enough space to keep my pack and gear inside, or camp with the lady as a 2 person. Something you def don’t get with the BA fly creek. Tents
I lost an Anjan 2 to a bear. Well, sow and cubs. Had 2 seasons. TOUGH scene.

I will get struck down for saying this but I have crushed the 3F UL gear Lanshan 1 pro .

It's straight outta you know where but gets the job done light and easy
I was honestly getting on here to suggest that. I have the original 2, and it is made very well. Tremendous value.