Single man shelters

I like the big Agnes copper spur personally. I’ve ran the 1 and 2 man version. The atko is my favorite 1 man that I’ve used when extreme wind/snow might be involved, but the copper spur works for me until big snow is forecasted. Currently use the copper spur 2 man for my son and I. Whatever you are looking at, side entry has some big advantages. For me, it’s the ability to enter the tent more easily and less rain gets in with it as well vs a front entry. I ran a fly creek for a few years trying to go super light and water would tend to get in when raining with how it’s designed. Went to side entry after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the big Agnes copper spur personally. I’ve ran the 1 and 2 man version. The atko is my favorite 1 man that I’ve used when extreme wind/snow might be involved, but the copper spur works for me until big snow is forecasted. Currently use the copper spur 2 man for my son and I. Whatever you are looking at, side entry has some big advantages. For me, it’s the ability to enter the tent more easily and less rain gets in with it as well vs a front entry. I ran a fly creek for a few years trying to go super light and water would tend to get in when raining with how it’s designed. Went to side entry after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree side entry is now a must for me. I've owned several (dozen?) front entry shelters- no more :)

OP
Brook.Trout
Depending on the OP’s targeted climate I think the Solus could be a great option. For reference my favorite 1 man shelter to date has been a Hilleberg Akto. The Solus has potential to claim the throne. It’s essentially an old Bibler with modern updates.

Modular tent setup that’ll allow the user to go minimalist or full bomb shelter. Very happy to see another company going to a rainfly first pitch design as an option. It has an incredibly small footprint with the option of staking in one of the side vestibules. When forced to camp on a bench there have been several times that vestibules are a major disadvantage.

There are a few things about the Solus that I need more real world use to form an opinion on but that should be put to the test this weekend as long as the seas aren’t too rough.

I’ve used several of the tents mentioned in this thread and will not trust them for where I guide/hunt. They have their place in more favorable conditions but I won’t use them. Big Agnes makes a great lightweight tent but I’ve seen a Copper Spur break poles, the Tigerwall folds under high wind. Full disclosure my 2 man tent is a Copper Spur Expedition, I’d almost call it a budget Hilleberg.

When someone mentions a Tigerwall and you hunt in the mountains where pitching in a perfect spot isn’t an option, remember this photo…that’s a body outline inside the tent.
be1d43dcecd4554521f8f0cdd140a9eb.jpg

Mostly I would use the intended tent I’m looking for in northern bc, north west bc, it’s either terribly buggy or bad weather and chilly. 95% of the tenting would be above tree line. Definately tented in crappy spots

OP
Brook.Trout
@SLDMTN my only concern with solid double wall is high temperature. This past season was just about 30 degrees Celsius everyday on top of the mountain on my sheep hunt

You already have plenty of options to sort through, but I'll throw the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo in for consideration as well. I believe it comes in at 26 oz.

I also have the REI Quarter Dome SL 2. It's a great tent, but I've reached the point of not wanting to finagle with a tent body, fly, poles, and the whole bit. The SMD (and the other options here) let you pitch a trekking pole/stick in the backcountry and be done with a handful of stakes.

Six Moons Lunar Solo

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
They make a two
The sea to summit alto tr series has appealed to me but I’ve heard of too many people say they leak like a siv in the rain. And that just won’t do where I’d take it to hunt.
Interesting. I bought the 3 season one right when it came out but I've never used it.
I'll test it out the is coming summer and find out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If I were looking for something from Tarptent to camp exposed, it would be a Scarp 1, with the crossing poles in bad weather, without them in better weather. Plenty of videos on YouTube of them in nasty weather. Can get it with a mesh inner, partial solid, or package deal with both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I really like my tarptent moment DW. Have both the solid and mesh liners as well as the extra pole. Adds a lot of versatility for me and the weather expectations on a hunt. Really comfortable for 1 person and pack fits nicely in the vestibule.

brian_

FNG
A super low budget choice would be the Eureka Solitaire. Not much fun to hang out in - but since they changed the poles from fiberglass to aluminum it's a decent option for sheltered locations considering the low price.

I prefer to be able to sit up in a shelter, so it's no longer one that I'd choose.

*zap*

WKR
lightweight will offer constraints...if your willing to go up a few pounds your options expand quite a bit.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Any way to mitigate those issues? Any single wall tents better than others?
Double wall shelters get the same amount of condensation you it’s just harder to brush up against it because of the inner net tent. I would avoid big agnes personally
Get as much airflow as possible, don’t camp near water, in gulleys, don’t overheat yourself in your bag, find trees for thermal cover but there’s only so much you can do at the end of the day.

Attachments

• A3D215F4-6043-4D54-B3EB-DB846E56B998.jpeg
    A3D215F4-6043-4D54-B3EB-DB846E56B998.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 48

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any way to mitigate those issues? Any single wall tents better than others?

site selection - avoid, low moist areas; timbered areas will help was well as areas that have some wind moving

if you can keep the door open just a little it will help; in inclimate weather have your door on the downwind side so you can crack it, even just a little will help

have a microfiber cloth to wipe condensation off the walls