single pin hunting sight?

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
so I am planning on getting a new bow sometime in the near future, and with that all new gear to go with it.

my question is how many of you guys hunt with a single pin? I've got the sdp and all though I like it I feel its to cluttered. before that I had a 5 pin and liked it as well but thought it was cluttered to. so im thinking of trying a single pin sight. what's the pros and cons here? I hunt up on the west side of wa in the thick woods for black tail and elk the shots range from 15 to 40 yds with the occasional longer shot on a elk. im thinking of getting the spot hogg hogg father or the fast eddie.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have had good luck with a single pin HHA for over a decade. The advantage less clutter disadvantage need to adjust over a certain distance. I keep it at one setting in my jungle country and never look to move it come action time. I had an HHA single pin for a decade and it never failed and bought another one with my last bow purchase two years ago. It will now go on my new bow next month. I like simple durable stuff for archery and it fits the bill.

I had this same dilemma with my new bow. Through some back and forth with a couple pro shops and reasearch I felt the MBG pure gold in a 3 pin with a 6" dovetail was the best fit for my hunting rig. I wanted less clutter than my current 4 pin slider without sacrificing in the moment accuracy. I really wanted to run the double pin Hogg father but their lock down for the dial is why I didn't go with that sight. I still might buy the Hogg father and put it on my back up bow and use which ever I like best on my new rig. I figured the dual pin sighted in at 25 and the extra pin would be roughly 40 which should cover most shots on an elk or deer. S and S archery was awesome to talk to. They were the only people who weren't trying to push their favorite product on me and giving me straight up feedback on these two sights

That was a great link to the go hunt article.
He was talking about the "trick pin" system without really saying it.

I just switched from the 7 pin spot hogg to the Montana Black Gold Ascent single pin. Still just getting everything dialed in but really like the single pin so far.

Here's the trick Pin article

The "Trick-Pin" System

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a vital bow gear site that no longer exists. I would be looking to HHA or Black Gold if I were to be in the market for new one.

OP
H

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
What the thought on the spott high hog father or fast Eddie? I ask because I've always been a high guy and always see the hha and black gold sights mentioned way more. I am going to certainly look at the ones mentioned but just curious why these ones are so much more popular.

i have shot hogg fathers on 3 target sights and tommy hoggs on all my hunting bows since they came out... I will not buy another brand, period. I have owned HHA inthe past and they are good, but the hoggs are much better built and more adjustable. I just ordered a new fast eddie for my new carbon defiant.

i got the double pin system for my tommy and loved it. I set the top pin at 35 and the bottom falls around 50. the new double pointer will make that even better.

Joe