Single pin or multi

Luked

WKR
Wanting to get a new sight soon and I am back and forth on weather to go single pin or multi.
I have had both before but was curious as to your alls opinion on if you havw ever had issues in thr elk woods with a single as far as the animal moving while your drawn down at a set range on the sight.
I have shot a 3 pin movable in the past like a MBG Verdict which seemed to work well just using the bottom pin as my movable out past 40 yards.
But the single pin open sight picture I shot in the past I really liked as well.
I know this will probably be a pretty opinionated reply, but I just wanted to hear your opinions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Single pin cons-
Limited range if you care about shooting long distance.
You cannot use other pins for trajectory analysis when shooting through the woods
Obviously have to move it.

Just have to ask your self why and what applies the best to you. Have you ever used the wrong pin? Have you ever forgotten to move your single pin back or not had to time to dial it. Does multi pins cause you target panic?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I started off using 3 pin sights and thought I would never change. Then I bought a HHA single pin and loved it. With my “slow” whitetail setup I can shoot to 40 yards without moving my pin off of 30 yards and still hold on target.

With your 3 pin setup, you should be able to set your first pin at 30 yards and be dead on from 0-30. Second pin at 40 and 3rd pin at 50.

It really boils down to what you think you’ll have the most confidence in.

I’ve played around enough with my single pin to know that I won’t go back to a multi pin sight.

TXJacob

FNG
I've been hunting with a single pin for 2 years now and love the sight picture but did get burned on a whitetail hunt this year. Deer was walking on a string to me after I rattled some antlers and I saw him coming from 150 yards away. Trail was right at 30 yards in front of me and I expected him to walk right down it as he was looking for the source of the rattling. I drew back when he was around 50 yards away while a tree was between us but instead of him continuing down the trail like I expected he stopped about 12 yards short at 42 yards. If I had a second pin I would have been able to take the shot but with my single pin I waited hopping he would keep walking forward. He lost interest while I was waiting at full draw and walked away.

I think the big advantage of the multiple pins are they help you judge your drop, this way you can better calculate where you should hold if the deer isn't exactly where you thought they would be. I'm looking at getting a double pin sight from Spot Hogg, this would still give you the great sight picture but would give you a little more flexibility when hunting.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been hunting with a single pin for 2 years now and love the sight picture but did get burned on a whitetail hunt this year. Deer was walking on a string to me after I rattled some antlers and I saw him coming from 150 yards away. Trail was right at 30 yards in front of me and I expected him to walk right down it as he was looking for the source of the rattling. I drew back when he was around 50 yards away while a tree was between us but instead of him continuing down the trail like I expected he stopped about 12 yards short at 42 yards. If I had a second pin I would have been able to take the shot but with my single pin I waited hopping he would keep walking forward. He lost interest while I was waiting at full draw and walked away.

I think the big advantage of the multiple pins are they help you judge your drop, this way you can better calculate where you should hold if the deer isn't exactly where you thought they would be. I'm looking at getting a double pin sight from Spot Hogg, this would still give you the great sight picture but would give you a little more flexibility when hunting.

Aiming at his spine would have put it in the kill zone. No need to have letdown in that situation.

They're expensive, but Option sights can be used in single pin or multi-pin mode. I shoot an Option 8s customized with 4 fixed pins + 1 mover.

MKern85

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same feeling like the clear site window of the single pin and easier to focus. But I went back to a 3 pin bg ascent whitetail mainly due to not having to make any adjustments from 40 on in and then still being able to shoot out further if necessary.

svivian

WKR
IF you are shooting a slower heavy arrow i would go 3 pin. If you are shooting a light fast arrow i would go single pin.

WCB

WKR
Used a single pin for 1 part of 1 fall and couldn't throw it far enough fast enough. Had a deer at mid 20 yards spook and run out to 50ish. by the time I ranged and moved the pin got drawn and settled he started walking almost straight towards my again to like mid 20s (normally top pin) no way I could move the pin again and he ran off. I also antelope hunt spot and stalk. rarely have time to range and draw let alone range change pin to whatever distance then draw. I know guys that do it but between my 1 experience with an animal and seeing a couple missed opportunities while guiding no go for me.

I am a 3 pin slider guy. 1st pin 27yards (30 yd pin) then 40 and 50. 50 is my slider.

bmejia

FNG
I have a fast eddie triple stack for sale in the classifieds.

Personally I like 5 horizontal pins but the triple stack may check both boxes you mentioned in your post; open sight picture and options for a moved target.

You should use the equipment that YOU are most cmfortable with. Everyones opinion will vary with explanations to follow. Use what you are comfortable with. Ed

manitou1

WKR
HHA used to have a "loop" for your bow hand trigger finger and could be adjusted while aiming. My brother and I used them extensively. I don't know why HHA quit offering that accessory as it was great IMO.

born2kill

FNG
I had a HHA single for a while. Never cost me a deer but was always afraid of having one that required quick adjustments. Swapped to a Spot Hogg 3 pin and have been happy since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a fast Eddie xl single pin for three seasons now. I like the single pin but have been contemplating changing to a 2 or 3 pin. In my experiences (whitetails only) I’m not taking a shot past 30yds and keep my sight dialed to 30 however I do shoot in the yard at further distances. What I could suggest is with the single pin, practice at different yardages and know where you need to hold. I could see this being beneficial when your unable change the yardage.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Running a Fast Eddie XL Double Pin. Gets me out to 40 yards on the second pin. Top pin is set at like 24 yards. I've been really happy with this setup. I may consider the triple stack in the future for that added 3rd pin, but for now, I'm not seeing enough value to add it.

DanimalW

WKR
I ordered the MBG dual trac. Two adjustable pins on single vertical post. I’ve always been a fan of fixed pins, but hoping the clearer sighs picture will be easier with aging vision. I hope I “see” it as an improvement.

I have an HHA Tetra Single PIn and I love it. I hunt whitetails and so far the single pin has not caused any issues having only one pin. I love the uncluttered sight picture and I have seen increased accuracy with a single pin. I love my single pin but might upgrade to a dual pin sight like the Ultraview Double Pin sight someday.

Travis907

WKR
They all have their pros and cons! I use a HHA single pin and love it for now. I’ve used 7 pins,5 pins, 3 pins and now single pin! I like like the single pin, personally it makes me concentrate more on the shot and I’ve also increased my accuracy at longer ranges! Someday may switch to a 2 pin with slider, but we will see.
See what works best for and practice,practice,practice!