Single pin or multi

Ches

FNG
I guess it depends on how and where you hunt. I only hunt Whitetails from hang on tree stands. For that a 4-5 pin fixed site works good. Most shots are within 40 yards. Bucks come in too fast during the rut to be moving pins and I shoot 500 grain arrows. I suppose if I hunted out west or in open fields, a slider might come in handy. I just like the simplicity of a fixed pin site.

WVHick

FNG
I’m a single pin guy. Just love the clear sight picture. I understand it has its limitations however.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I'm mainly an elk hunter, elk can and will cover a lot of ground when walking, and that's why I stay with my five pin slider Black Gold. I want to be able to just pick a pin and shoot, as for hunting, I only use my five pins locked down, but say I shoot an elk and it runs out to say 80 yards, I'll then use the slider and stick another arrow into it.

born2kill

FNG
I'm mainly an elk hunter, elk can and will cover a lot of ground when walking, and that's why I stay with my five pin slider Black Gold. I want to be able to just pick a pin and shoot, as for hunting, I only use my five pins locked down, but say I shoot an elk and it runs out to say 80 yards, I'll then use the slider and stick another arrow into it.

I love a multi pin slider. Gives me the option to cover the short distances quickly. But, if theres time and the conditions for a longer shot, I can make the adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I used a single pin for about 25 years then just switched to a 5 pin slider this past fall. I don't think I'll go back. I love having the ability to shoot 0-60 without adjusting anything. It also gives me to option to dial it up to crazy long shots (even if it's just for target practice so the other shots seem nice and close).

There's not many times where I haven't had time to adjust the sight, but I fear that the time I don't have time will be when I REALLY don't want it to be an issue. My experience is with whitetails, but a big reason I wanted to switch was for elk where I may not know exactly where they're going to show up.

I upgraded multiple things on my setup at the time I upgraded my sight, so I don't know what did it, but I'm seeing an increase in my accuracy with my new sight. Also love being able to practice at 80-100 yards.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Love the single pin for when the animal cooperated. Had a season where an elk and a whitetail didn’t. Switched to the spott Hogg double pin because of it, and I love it. Helps me cover what I need for whitetail without having to move anything. If an elk is past the yardage for my second pin, I should probably be ranging and adjusting anyways.

nphunter

WKR
Multi-pin slider for me, I've seen my buddy miss opportunities at elk more than once using his single pin setup that he has been using for years on whitetail. When elk are weaving back and forth through timber and popping in and out of clearings you have very little time to range let alone make an adjustment. Watched a bull walk across an opening, my buddy adjusted and then he came back out 20 yards away in another opening and he had to re-adjust, this all happened within about 30 seconds.

I like being able to have fixed pins for thick cover and the ability to adjust for a longer shot. Out of my last 6 bulls I've shot I adjusted my site for 1 of them, used the fixed pins for the rest and all of them were at different ranges that I would have had to make an adjustment if I had a single pin.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Multi-pin slider for me, I've seen my buddy miss opportunities at elk more than once using his single pin setup that he has been using for years on whitetail. When elk are weaving back and forth through timber and popping in and out of clearings you have very little time to range let alone make an adjustment. Watched a bull walk across an opening, my buddy adjusted and then he came back out 20 yards away in another opening and he had to re-adjust, this all happened within about 30 seconds.

I like being able to have fixed pins for thick cover and the ability to adjust for a longer shot. Out of my last 6 bulls I've shot I adjusted my site for 1 of them, used the fixed pins for the rest and all of them were at different ranges that I would have had to make an adjustment if I had a single pin.

Do you remember how far you shot your last 6 bulls?

nphunter

WKR
Do you remember how far you shot your last 6 bulls?

53, 14, 20+/-, 80, 35, 55. The further 3 were ranged, the others were ranged after the shot and approximates.

The 80 yard shot i though was a follow up, my first shot was closer but hit a rock and he kind of stumbled off, must have been because it was on a rock slide, I though he was hit so I ranged, adjusted and shot him.

N2TRKYS

WKR
53, 14, 20+/-, 80, 35, 55. The further 3 were ranged, the others were ranged after the shot and approximates.

The 80 yard shot i though was a follow up, my first shot was closer but hit a rock and he kind of stumbled off, must have been because it was on a rock slide, I though he was hit so I ranged, adjusted and shot him.

Were these elk in wide open spaces or were they at the backside of an opening?

Been using an HHA Single pin for almost 8 years. Giving the Spot Hogg Triple Stack a chance this season. Same sight picture just two extra aiming points.

nphunter

WKR
Were these elk in wide open spaces or were they at the backside of an opening?
They were in different places, 4 different units. Open logged-off timber, vine maple thicket, steep big timber hillside, sagebrush bench, windblown river bottom, and an open grass ridge.

CAFF30B2-3671-4316-85D0-586561B748B6.jpeg

0F64925D-FB85-42BD-99A4-45A40154033B.jpeg

CDDDA5A8-94F5-4890-956A-C56C24B95E41.jpeg

B25591A3-C1B0-4326-9F66-06D0DABF1346.jpeg

675EAA17-1463-4678-892A-D83BE27FC443.jpeg

24381AD1-4590-4B3E-A595-2F11F31604A9.jpeg

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
They were in different places, 4 different units. Open logged-off timber, vine maple thicket, steep big timber hillside, sagebrush bench, windblown river bottom, and an open grass ridge.

View attachment 386164

View attachment 386168

View attachment 386165

View attachment 386166

View attachment 386167

View attachment 386169

Awesome pics. Sorry for all the questions. I’ve had a theory I’ve been playing around with and was just curious if it would have worked out in your situations.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.