Single Pin Set @ 'X' Yards Hold Over/Under

bozeman

WKR
So I have a MBG Ascent slider single pin. Shooting right @ 280 fps. Sweet spot seems to be set @ 35yds, can cover out to 45 yards with a little 'hold over'..........this works for me in the yard.......real world? Is this a good idea? I have tried to search for this as I know this has had to have been discussed in the past, but not finding much results. Any real world feedback for those that have tried it and not just some who may theorize on it. Almost like 'it looks good on paper, but not when implementing it' kinda deal. Thanks all for the info.

Tagged. I gained a little bit of speed with my latest arrow build and currently run a multi-pin slider. FWIW, my arrows are also now coming in right at 280 FPS.

Austink47

WKR
I shoot my single pin fixed at 40 and dial for longer shots. It works well for me, as long as I can keep my crap together.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
For some, a single pin set at a certain yardage with a hold high/low works well. For me, the 3 years I hunted with a single pin set at 30 yards, i'd forget to hold a little low at 20. Still worked out to be a higher lung shot, but i've since gone back to multiple pins for hunting. Just seems to work better for me.

I tried the trick pin for a while but settled on leaving it at 35 while hunting. I could not mentally adjust to where I needed to hold the trick pin. I've practiced a lot at close ranges and have minimal hold under with 35. Main place I have to watch is between 17-23 ish yards. If I hold dead center I'm flirting with the top of the vitals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the trick pin for a while but settled on leaving it at 35 while hunting. I could not mentally adjust to where I needed to hold the trick pin. I've practiced a lot at close ranges and have minimal hold under with 35. Main place I have to watch is between 17-23 ish yards. If I hold dead center I'm flirting with the top of the vitals.

Might work to train your mind for pin on bottom of the chest. There's no guess inches or anything with that, just bring the pin to bottom of the rib cage.

Do what you find works for you, just a suggestion.

I think regardless of what you do with your pins you have to hold your crap together and think for a second, wether it’s thinking about which pin to use or to slide your sight or hold over. I know Dan with Eastmans uses the single pin hold over method and does quite well. Remi Warren also has started using this method. I think we would all be better off for hunting if we just stuck to a certain system and arrow trajectory for long period of time and learned to master our setup so in the heat of the moment we knew what to do automatically.

Might work to train your mind for pin on bottom of the chest. There's no guess inches or anything with that, just bring the pin to bottom of the rib cage.

Do what you find works for you, just a suggestion.

Yeah it absolutely makes sense, but I was struggling as I only get to point it at an animal a couple times a year. I was struggling to make it function correctly at the range in my head.

I find that the small amount of hold under inuaventi deal with at ~20 is m7ch easier to keep straight. Anything requiring his over I range and dial.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a lot of time gapping or holding under with mine before heading west. I ended up leaving it as 30, as at the time 45ish would of been my max. But as stated, your mind will be the deal breaker if you don't get it drilled to think about where to hold.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I set mine up at 30 yards and use no hold over or under inside of that. Anything over 30 gets dialed.

Pramo

WKR
I started using the Spot Hogg double pin for the extra indicator, I have the top pin set at 25 and the bottom comes in a 39. I can easily gap at 30 then hold above and below for anything else and dial past 45 yards. I really like the vertical pin versus a multi-pin slider from a sight picture perspective.

I started using the Spot Hogg double pin for the extra indicator, I have the top pin set at 25 and the bottom comes in a 39. I can easily gap at 30 then hold above and below for anything else and dial past 45 yards. I really like the vertical pin versus a multi-pin slider from a sight picture perspective.

I'm strongly considering this set up and then using the top of the bubble as a third indicator / hold over point. In theory, this should cover any shot scenarios I can think of. If I have time to dial, great. If I don't, I should have enough info from the sight to know how to hold.

I'm strongly considering this set up and then using the top of the bubble as a third indicator / hold over point. In theory, this should cover any shot scenarios I can think of. If I have time to dial, great. If I don't, I should have enough info from the sight to know how to hold.

Have you looked at the new 3 vertical pin housing?

Have you looked at the new 3 vertical pin housing?

I have and it looks really promising. I'm keeping an eye out for reviews. My initial thoughts were that remembering three yardages that you dialed to would be a bit confusing, but it's something I think I could get used to.

dkime

WKR
I have used a single pin setup for the last 6 years; set it at 25yds and kill everything inside of my 40yd circle. If Its further I range and dial. I am 2.5" high at 20 and 6.5" low at 40. I don't normally hold over, I just put the pin where I would put it normally and find the animals at the end of my blood trails. 500gr at 275fps (roughly from year to year)

I have and it looks really promising. I'm keeping an eye out for reviews. My initial thoughts were that remembering three yardages that you dialed to would be a bit confusing, but it's something I think I could get used to.

It comes with three independent adjustable indicators. So if you look at your sight tape it will refresh your memory.

I'll do a review once I have mine if nobody else has.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I had a 5 pin vertical sight several years ago and hated it. I’m not a fan of the multi pin vertical setup or anything over 3 pins. I left that and went to a single pin. Not really crazy about it, but haven’t went back to a 3 pin, yet.

I have used a single pin setup for the last 6 years; set it at 25yds and kill everything inside of my 40yd circle. If Its further I range and dial. I am 2.5" high at 20 and 6.5" low at 40. I don't normally hold over, I just put the pin where I would put it normally and find the animals at the end of my blood trails. 500gr at 275fps (roughly from year to year)
What’s the max range you can get out of your single pin with the pin set there? I adjusted to a single pin this year but can only get 75-80 yards with about 275 FPS, 470 grain arrow and peep height is around 6 1/8”