Single pin sight in hunting situations

KHNC

WKR
I changed to the Option 6 sight a few years ago when it first came out. I was a singe pin user for years. No place for single pin when elk hunting. Whitetail is much easier when in a tree stand. The option sight does it all! Best sight i have ever used.

nphunter

WKR
I’ve seen a single pin cost my buddy two different bulls. First one popped out on a old road for just a second and he dialed. Came back into the road 20yards further and stared at us for a few seconds and kept going. Took too long to dial.

PHo

WKR
Seriously, for all of you guys who are trying to dial in the exact yardage for shots that are 40yds and less read that article I posted about the trick pin system and put it into practice. It's a way more efficient way to aim and it's even more consistently accurate than multiple pins.

nexus

FNG
Seriously, for all of you guys who are trying to dial in the exact yardage for shots that are 40yds and less read that article I posted about the trick pin system and put it into practice. It's a way more efficient way to aim and it's even more consistently accurate than multiple pins.

PHo you may be beating your head against a wall on this one. I have used the system you are talking about for several years and it never fails when applied correctly. I have actually, brought 3D targets to the range to prove the concept to many disbelievers. Just some guys are not comfortable implementing the trick pin. It is a great trick on the 3D course also to win a beer or two.

That being said, I have found a limitation with the trick pin when shooting hard angles or in high sage brush (belly high). But, those scenarios rarely present themselves where I do not have an enough time to both range and dial as needed.

Reactions: PHo

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
I set my 3 pin slider to 30 40 50. feel confident with that. my Hoyt rx shoots flat enough that the difference between 20 and 30 is very very minimal

Gumbo

WKR
6-pin for me, fixed or moveable. There seem to be so many disadvantages to 3-pin/fewer systems and the trick pin thing is intriguing but too imprecise for me, and I think switching from species to species would complicate matters. But then again I have no trouble picking the right pin or gap shooting from 20-70 yards. I know, however, I would have trouble dialing or fudging yardage by holding over/under. KISS is a good mantra and for me 6 pins is as simple as it gets for all of my shots out to my max hunting range.

I’ve used a single pin slider for a few years now, and while I don’t hate it I do find that it gives me some anxiety in dynamic situations. With practice I learned to adjust it to the middle of the range I expected a shot to occur, and remained conscious of how much to hold over/under when a shot presented itself. It works, no doubt, but everything works for someone.
I decided to give a 3 pin slider a try and picked up an MBG Ascent Verdict Assault. The plan here is to dial my top pin with it adjusted to the centre of the housing, similar to a single pin set up. When hunting I’ll dial the sight to 25 yards, and the two pins below will land on 40 and 50 yards. This way I’ve got all of my typical shot distances covered, and I’ve still got the ability to dial the exact distance for more precision shooting, longer shots, and sending it in practice sessions.
I’ve talked myself into this theory, for this year. Part of the fun of archery is messing with this stuff and trying new things. Just be careful of messing too much to be confident in your setup before season.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thess87

WKR
Tried one during one summer. But as hunting season rolled around I just felt like it would and something else to worry about in the moment of truth. MBG 3 pin slider for me (I hunt more whitetails then anything though I could see it more out west).

I shoot the MBG Ascent Verdict sight on both my bows (3 and 4 pin versions). I like the simplicity of shooting the fixed pins at distances up to 50 yds., while having the flexibility of dialing it up for long distance target shooting and the occasional deer or antelope opportunity. Pins really stand out in low light conditions. System has been bomb proof for me.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from a single pin to a 3 pin slider, both were MTB. I primarily hunt whitetails and the single pin did alright but when they would move/walk off and there were multiple deer around it’s a little difficult to let down and adjust with a bunch of deer looking around. Using the 3 pin takes the guess work out of it. Anything. Further than 40 yards I have plenty of time to dial in the bottom pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDW

FNG
Because of my short draw length a single pin dose not afford me a shooting window of 10-15 yards as individuals with higher speed bows. With faster equipment your distance is not as critical as any 3D shooter will admit. I agree that 3-5 pin sights do clutter your sight picture but I have found that with concentration I have been able to overcome this problem.

MattB

WKR
Tried a single pin and switched back to a multi-pin. That was based on actual in-field experience, not on reading an article.

Sled

WKR
Tried a single pin and switched back to a multi-pin. That was based on actual in-field experience, not on reading an article.

one thing i've come to realize is that one persons experience may differ greatly from anothers. what works for one person may differ to the next. in different situations one may be better than the other. so, people should pick what works best for them in the majority of situations they encounter and get good with it. for me, that's a single pin about 90% of the time. if i didn't know where my arrow would land (within 6") anywhere from 7' out to 50 yards without moving my single pin, then i might go back to a multi pin. i'm happy with my sight but i can certainly see how someone else might find the multi pin more useful. to each their own.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I've used one for years, and I'm much more accurate with it. Tried to go back to a 3 pin slider last year and it was a train wreck. I learn to hold over/under from 20-50 when it's set at 40, and dial for everything else. I have an Axcel Accuhunter frame with a smaller scope.
this method works for me. Using my Hogg Father on a fast bow, 475gr arrow set up....dial pointer set at 40.
but at 50-60-70-80, I will move the wheel/pointer to those yardages on the sight tape. That single pin remaining in the center at longer yardage gives a good sight picture with out a cluttered effect. Instead of using a 5th bottom pin and using only the lower 1/3 of the sight picture.
And this fall, excited to use my new Vertix in the field with this Spott Hogg Father single pin. So far, practice has been amazing and a whole lot of fun.

I love my cbe single pin on hogg father base. Leave it at 30 and theirs barely any hold over/under for 20/40 and then I dial out the rest. It’s helped me a ton with target panic and pin clutter I didn’t even know bothered me until I finally used a single pin for the first time. The only thing I don’t like is shooting 60 and beyond I find my sight housing not being centered in my peep anymore, but I watched a recent video on here the other day and figured out what I was doing wrong

What video did you watch?

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
What video did you watch?
Man I’m sorry I can’t remember it’s been a while now. Basically center your peep and scope housing around 40-50 yards. So 20 it’ll be a little high and 60,70,80 it will be a little low. But not as extreme as centering in at 20 and being way off at 60+