Single Pin Slider

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone here have any experience with sighting in at 25 yards and holding under/over on shots at 20 and 30? As opposed to moving the dial.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I shoot 0-30 yards with my pin set at 30. My pin stays on 30 and gets adjusted for shots farther than that.

LostArra

WKR
Look into using the trick pin system. There is a great article on here about.

Agree. It worked well for me.

When I had a single pin I would keep it 33 yds -> will have to check my notes but there was an equidistant drop (I think 6") from 20 yds - 33yds - 40 yards. So by keeping it at 33 I would know 20 yards and 40 yards would have the same hold.

Obviously, you need to figure out the drop for your specific set up.

I wet with a single pin. Went back to multi pin after a few hunts. User error. I just couldn’t dial fast enoughfor a couple of shots.

Joshk358

FNG
I really like the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL with 2 pins. I never move them unless the shot is past 40yds. Top pin is 20 and 2nd pin is 40. I shot the single pin for awhile and It was fine, but the double pin is where its at IMO.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I just looked at the trick pin article. Ain’t no way I’m doing that. I like aiming at my target and not having to guess how low to hold.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I tried it. For a tree stand with known yardage it's fine.. I missed a few shof opportunities while spit and stalk hunting axis deer . 3 pin for me.. I'm gonna give the 3 pin tripple stack from spot hog when it comes out.

LostArra

WKR
I just looked at the trick pin article. Ain’t no way I’m doing that. I like aiming at my target and not having to guess how low to hold.
I agree if you are treestand hunting and you can pre-range different spots in shooting lanes.

I only use it for elk. Where it worked beautifully for me was when I was caught in the open with elk moving and changing distance. I had zero chance to range or adjust the distance on the sight. I didn't guess at anything. I shot just like I practiced using the trick pin.

Knowing how the trick pin works allows me to keep the sight set at that distance but if I get a chance to range and set the sight distance I definitely will. Last fall I sat at the base of a juniper next to a water hole exactly 30 yards away. I set my sight to 30 and waited for the elk to reach the pond. The trick pin is a tool and a good one. It also works much better than it reads.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I agree if you are treestand hunting and you can pre-range different spots in shooting lanes.

I only use it for elk. Where it worked beautifully for me was when I was caught in the open with elk moving and changing distance. I had zero chance to range or adjust the distance on the sight. I didn't guess at anything. I shot just like I practiced using the trick pin.

Knowing how the trick pin works allows me to keep the sight set at that distance but if I get a chance to range and set the sight distance I definitely will. Last fall I sat at the base of a juniper next to a water hole exactly 30 yards away. I set my sight to 30 and waited for the elk to reach the pond. The trick pin is a tool and a good one. It also works much better than it reads.

I’m glad it works for you. Most of my shots aren’t at pre-ranged distances, either.

It reads like something else you have to remember at crunch time. Seems crazy to me to aim 12” low, often times, off the animal to make a shot. I like to keep things simple and this doesn’t seem as simple as what I like to do.

Just too much guess work for me.

I’m mostly a whitetail hunter, but after using a fixed 5-pin on an antelope hunt, I switched to 3-pin slider (CBE Engage Hybrid). It’s the best compromise IMO - moderate clutter, long range adjustability, no adjustment necessary for 80%-90% of my shots.

I’ve only shot 3 whitetail past 22 (0-22 or so has no effective difference) and shot at a hog that was 50-something. I took antelope shots at 41 and 62 (quick follow-up shot). Other than the follow-up shot, my 3-pin would cover everything. My expectation is that I’d have time to slide to anything past 40-ish.

@StraightWayOutdoors
Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings

Last edited:

Jeterry

FNG
Fast Eddie XL is awesome...has 2 pins that both slide. For my bow, one is at 20yds and the other is at 31. Any further and I'll have a chance to adjust

406unltd

WKR
I use the double pin as well. My 30 is good for 0-30 when whitetail hunting from a stand. I hunt elk though with the top pin at about 38. When I do that I can just aim at their elbow/elbow level depending on angle, for 20-30 and it climbs perfect into vitals. It gives a perfect, easily identifiable spot to aim for. That’s puts my second pin at exactly 50. Then I have a white nail polish dot below the 50 that gives me a 60 pin. Altogether I can shoot affectively 0-60 with a double pin and not touch my dial. I want that triple stack though.

Anyone here have any experience with sighting in at 25 yards and holding under/over on shots at 20 and 30? As opposed to moving the dial.
I just switched to a single pin this winter. Definitely like the sight picture, I will be setting mine at 30 and figuring out my range forgiveness for shorter or longer shots. Probably won’t have to dial at all until 37+ yards. One thing I have been thinking about that I like with multiple pins is you can use the to figure out your arrow trajectory and if your arrow will hit or miss a low hanging limb. Now I can’t do that with a single pin. Anyone else not like the single pin for that reason?

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a Spot Hogg fast eddie xl with a double pin last year. Top pin at 20, bottom pin at 36 and top of bubble was 45 yards. I shot all spring and summer and was comfortable out to 45 without dialing. I had time to dial in the field if shooting further than 45.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Replaced single pin with 2 pin housing to my Hogg Father.
1st pin set at 35 yards, makes 2nd pin at 50 yards, checked & ingrained-2-brain by many practice sessions.
so 30 yards-under hold a bit low, 40ish a bit high ( bit meaning couple inches ).
Over 50 adjust yardage wheel.
However I limit my hunt-shot range to max 70 yards in good conditions.

2020 public land Avatar buck shot at 65 yards. perfect crease placement, buck went 40 yards and down, expired in under 30 seconds from shot release.

Last edited: