Single Pin vs. Double Pin vs. 3 Pin w/ Floater

breeds13

FNG
What is everyone's preference for deer hunting? Looking to make a move from my fixed 5 pin which has a lot of clutter in my opinion. I mostly hunt out of pop-up blinds and tree stands with 20-40 yard shots. Like the idea of having two fixed pins with a 3 pin w/ floater and also like the idea of having less clutter with a single pin. Seems like a double pin could be the best of both worlds, but I've only seen a few from Spot Hogg that offer those.

I have trouble with a mover, I have shot pins so long I don't frequently think to move it.

For what your looking for I would consider a 3 pin head on a slider, set first pin at 25 or 30. That would get you to 45-50 yards without touching anything. Then you can use the middle or bottom pin as the mover. I say middle as a possibility because you will probably shoot the center of your housing the best.

The other option is a single pin slider set on 38-42 yards. Learn to shoot a little high/low and it will get you to 45 yards.

My problem with the mover is when I go practice at 90+ yards and forget to set it back to "zero" for my housing. I normally shoot a 5 pin housing so I'm covered out to 65 -70 yards without touching anything.

Edit: remembered the double pin ?
From what I have seen of the double pin from spot Hogg is the benefit of open sight picture just like a single pin, but the second pin isn't adjustable. The tape pointer has a second pointer that corresponds to the second pin, but I don't trust that it's dead on. Too many variables, probably really close tho.

Last edited:
I’m quite happy with my 3 pin slider. Switched in January from a fixed 5 and I’m really glad I did. Less clutter in the housing and easy to dial the bottom pin. Mine is set up 20-30-40.

satchamo

WKR
I used to shoot fixed pins, switched to 3 pin slider, helped but wanted less so I went to a single pin, moved back to a 3 pin slider and now I want a single pin again. I just can’t deal with all the clutter. My eyes go in and out of focus with it and I can often hardly tell which pin I’m even holding on target.

A single pin opens up your target, removes the clutter and lets you focus. I think everyone would shoot at least a small percentage better with a single. The only reasons I went back to 3 was because I’m always overthinking and worried about that bull coming in quick and not having time to adjust my sight but I. Reality if you learn your equipment, you can figure out how to make a single pin useable to damn near 40 without ever touching it...

Sammymusi

WKR
I had the spott hogg double pin for the past 2 seasons ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, went with a mbg pro 3 pin slider . Not loving it as much but im finally shooting out to 70 consistently and back to fully confident. If i could do it over i would for sure go double pin hogg. Top pin is set to 20 and your bottom pin will be roughly 35 ish yards .. perfect scenario

jgrg1215

FNG
I have the spot hogg double pin and really like it as well. I figured out that the best option for deer hunting was to be able to shoot out to around 40 yards without having to move the sight, and the double pin lets me do this without the clutter. My first pin is 20 yards and my second pin (nonadjustable) is 34 yards. I also use the top of my bubble as a reference for certain situations. I practice hold overs/ unders all the time to get me out to around 40 yards and everywhere in between. This has worked well in hunting situations, because I have found out the hard way that as an animal approaches, the last thing you want to do is be ranging, moving pins, ranging again, moving pins again. For an animal that is stationary feeding (think maybe a mule deer stalk) then moving the pin is most likely great, but a buck cruising thru checking for does or an elk responding to a call is not the time to move your sight in my opinion.

+1 for the Spot Hogg double pin. I leave my top pin at 30 and the second pin ends up right on at 40. I know how high I hit inside 30 yards up to point blank range so the only time I move the sight is for shots at 40+

CJF

WKR
+1 for the double pin. I love mine. I shot single pin CBE for 15+ years before switching to the double. That second pin has saved me from shooting a hold over a couple times.

qwerksc

WKR
I shoot a Hoggfather 3 pin, 20-30-40, 40 pin is the rover, love this set up. just picked up a new one, for a target bow, with two housings, single and a double, putting it on a new bow and am looking forward to trying both.

406unltd

WKR
That double pin spothogg is dead on actually at any and every distance you put it on.

wayoh22

WKR
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL Single pin. Used to have a 3 pin but the clutter killed me. Have never shot better now that I'm with a single-pin

Crschnei

FNG
+1 for 3 pin with floating 3rd pin. Set to 20-35-50. Anything outside of 50 and should have enough cover to adjust before the shot. Anything inside of 50 and you are ready to go. Also thinking about running a single pin for 3D and switching back and forth depending on what I’m doing.

jmriness

FNG
Currently shooting a 4 pin slider and love it. I came from a single pin and just didn't like having to move my pin for everything

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Black Gold Verdict 3-pin slider with dual indicator.
25-35-45. Upper/lower pin are the slider.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
One of my setups is BG Verdict slider 4 pin (20-50), new to me this year is another BG Pro 3 pin slider (30-50, dual indicator). I'm still adjusting to using the top pin from 0-30, but it's not bad. Anymore than 4 pins and I start to get lost in them. For the record, my 4 pin was actually a 5 but I took a pin out (didn't know you could custom order them at the time).

Man I am in the same boat. I have been shooting single pin for last 3 years and love it and haven't shot better, but hunting whitetail this year during rut I had deer popping in and out all over and it was very annoying dialing everytime since most of this action was under 40 yds which I had alrady pre ranged. I'm either going to stick with single pin or go to 3 pin slider 25 - 40 - 50, which would have me covered out to 55 yds before I really need to move the slider.

Beendare

WKR
Ive seen a bunch of guys screw up shots with adjustable sights.... chalk up another one today.

a very experienced bowhunter buddy ( ex ASA shooter, hundreds of deer/ elk inc multiple 190”+ mulies) just mispinned a 160” whitetail at 15 yds.... shot right over his back.

fixed pins req less thinking and less movement at crunch time.

——