Single shot rifle for elk?

Mojave

WKR
I used to own a 30-06 in a Blaser K95. I sold it last year.

Recoil is too much for me in a 5 pound rifle with no brake.

Looking at the K95 with the new carbon fiber thumbhole stock. And I am looking at a 7mm in that rifle.

I shot a friends 300 Weatherby in a K95. He has no brake. I don't think I would ever want to do that again.

Recoil was violent.

LightFoot

WKR
View attachment 278671
Never thought I would find a single shot interesting but these rifles are intriguing to me and surprisingly accurate. Due to their design, they clearly don't have free floating barrels yet it doesn't seem to affect their accuracy. My only possible explanation is that the break action and lock up design results in a very aligned cartridge/bullet to barrel alignment.
Dream rifle right there....

Blaser K95 in 270 Win or 7x64 would do everything short of grizzly.

I cannot imagine those guys shooting them in magnums with no brake. I'm not that tough.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
7x64 with tough 160's would do any cloven hoofed animal on the planet and I'd use it on all the bears.

Mojave

WKR
If I end up moving back to Europe I am going to buy that exact combo. Except I think it is a 7x65R as I don't think you can get a 7x64 in a kiplauf.

Dinger

WKR
If I end up moving back to Europe I am going to buy that exact combo. Except I think it is a 7x65R as I don't think you can get a 7x64 in a kiplauf.
Here;s mine in 7x65R (and 8x57R)....you are correct a 7x64 is a rare beast in a klippauf, but in a modern action like the Blaser you can run the 7x65R at 7x64 pressures.

20170425_070335-X4.jpg

i-wT5QCtD-X3.jpg

i-3crzhGF-X3.jpg

hobbes

WKR
I've a coworker (actually just retired) that shoots a single shot 7mm RUM. He doesn't appear to have any problems killing elk with it.

WCB

WKR
I'm going to be the negative Nancy on this one. I cringe when I see guys on hunting shows using a single shot then watching them take forever to get off a follow up. I get it I get it everyone is a expert marksman and make the first shot count and it won't matter. But shit happens.

Now with that said I know guys that can probably shoot faster with a single shot than most with a bolt. If that is the case and you are practiced up go for it. Have a shell ready (not in a pocket) for a follow up.

Nice looking gun by the way.

I'm going to be the negative Nancy on this one. I cringe when I see guys on hunting shows using a single shot then watching them take forever to get off a follow up. I get it I get it everyone is a expert marksman and make the first shot count and it won't matter. But shit happens.

Now with that said I know guys that can probably shoot faster with a single shot than most with a bolt. If that is the case and you are practiced up go for it. Have a shell ready (not in a pocket) for a follow up.

Nice looking gun by the way.
That goes with anything really. Practice cycling and reloading! I see people short-shuck pump shotguns, short-stroke bolts, look completely clueless with muzzleloaders, etc.

I used a ruger #1 in 30-06 on a buck. just to be able to use the rifle. don't know if need to anymore, but i am glad i got that one with the #1. pun intended!