Single shot rifle for elk?

I hunt for food, I have one of those it is a bit earlier than yours red recoil pad, 7mm mag. great rifle, Also just picked up #1 in 30.06 looked for one almost five years, went too buy my hunting license the other day there is a small gun shop next door so I walk in and lookie there three of them, my lucky day, and a decent price so home the rifle comes with me.

Get you a sharps, 45-70 and use black powder cartridges, there is a single shot rifle for you. My C.SHARPS ARMS RIFLE does a number on white tails out too 200 yards with open sights, just put a Malcome 4 power scope on it this past month have not shot it in yet but figure a 3-4-hundred yard shot will be good, them big lead slugs get the job done, I have a sweet spot for the single shots.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted with a Ruger #1 since I was 14 years old. (I'm left handed and my dad didn't think me buying a left-handed bolt action was a very good idea)
With a butt stock shell holder, follow-up shots can be very fast.
This year I shot this elk at about the last rib, because I hurried the shot kneeling up before he could cross into the next unit. Before he could take another step, I put another bullet in his neck to finish him off.
Stainless 7mm Rem. mag
I also have a 6.5 cm in walnut that took an antelope a couple whitetail does this fall. The single shots have treated me well. At almost 10 lbs. the recoil isn't bad.
IMG_3730~2.jpg

Fatcamp

WKR
I've hunted with a Ruger #1 since I was 14 years old. (I'm left handed and my dad didn't think me buying a left-handed bolt action was a very good idea)
With a butt stock shell holder, follow-up shots can be very fast.
This year I shot this elk at about the last rib, because I hurried the shot kneeling up before he could cross into the next unit. Before he could take another step, I put another bullet in his neck to finish him off.
Stainless 7mm Rem. mag
I also have a 6.5 cm in walnut that took an antelope a couple whitetail does this fall. The single shots have treated me well. At almost 10 lbs. the recoil isn't bad.
View attachment 351679

We all want your rifle. Or at least better pictures.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
I traded a 788 6mm REM towards a 6mm Ruger No 1 decades ago and have hunted extensively with single shot rifles ever since. Latest fun has been with Cooper Model 22s, now looking to do another in 280 ackley.
While I haven’t needed very many follow ups over the years, a little practice using the extra round In left hand hold and you get pretty fast, especially with the Rugers.
My only exception is when we are in heavy bear areas and then I do carry a bolt with full mag since I don’t carry pistol.
Otherwise hunt elk w single shot, it’s fun.

I love hunting and shooting with my 2 Ruger #1B's. One is 6mm Remington and the other is 30-06. I have used both to take elk with. Also shot many deer and antelope. I have NEVER felt handicapped using a single shot rifle. Last fall I shot a nice mule deer doe at about 75 yards and just as I was squeezing my buddy yelled buck buck. I was able to put another round in the chamber and kill the buck as he was hauling the mail getting out of dodge. He was just about to disappear from sight when I hit him on the run and dropped him about 25 yards from where the doe had fallen. Something special and classy about single shot rifles. Love the lines and they carry very nicely. Oh, and they shoot. Both of these rifles I have are very accurate.
David

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Contender and an Encore in my stable. If your shot placement is good, it's plenty fast. If you use a pic rail up top and or are cool with some adhesive you can attach a carrier to the side ("matchsaver" or quiver is the parlance I believe) for a quick reload. So far I haven't needed it, but I'd rather let an animal walk than take a bad shot, no matter what rifle I'm using.

Been hunting with a muzzleloader in Iowa for 20 years, so used to the restrictions of a single shot. As a result, when I heard that Iowa legalized a bunch of high power calibers between .35-.500, I recently picked up a .35 Whelen in the CVA Scout V2 platform. It has a 25" fluted stainless barrel with muzzle break and 1:14 twist. I have some light 180 loads for whitetails, and will be shooting 200 grain TTSX for elk in the future.

It will be fun to have two legit elk hunting rifles in case my daughters or a buddy want to go out West with me some day.

Attachments

• CVA .35.png
    CVA .35.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 19

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
We all want your rifle. Or at least better pictures.

How about this one?
IMG_20201022_175520608.jpg

Haha just kidding. Here's one of the pair. I love them, but I use them, and it hurts a little when they get battle scars from packing them up the mountain, but I'll never sell them so I guess I shouldn't be too bothered by giving them a little character.

IMG_20200524_104253548.jpg

Fatcamp

WKR
How about this one?
View attachment 351991

Haha just kidding. Here's one of the pair. I love them, but I use them, and it hurts a little when they get battle scars from packing them up the mountain, but I'll never sell them so I guess I shouldn't be too bothered by giving them a little character.

View attachment 351992

Maaannnn, that green rifle has me thinking.

I killed my 1st elk with a Ruger #1 in 7 STW. Killed a pile of deer with it over the years and fell in love with it. Several years ago it was stolen from my home and I thought it was gone forever, I literally cried, but the cops caught the asshat and I got my baby back! It's the only thing I own that isn't for sale.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
My first rifle was a single shot NEF Handi-Rifle in 243. I shot a double with it once, missed a first shot and hit the second shot once. It was the ejector model so fast follow ups were no problem. I now have a No.1 in .375H&H. 8 pounds without scope and I love it. I will eventually carry it for elk. For now it'll be my moose and paper gun.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

How about this one?
View attachment 351991

View attachment 351992
All the big green needs is some checkering done on it!! Beautiful. I sure love those Ruger single shots!

GLB

WKR
Did someone say single shot!? I will be hunting with this one in the near future. Its a 45-70 and I have a couple good loads for it. It‘s now setup with a tang peep and very accurate.

Attachments

• 42A356AC-93E6-4E1A-A9B4-D4A6BD344AA4.jpeg
    42A356AC-93E6-4E1A-A9B4-D4A6BD344AA4.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 15
  • A1D94098-ACA0-4616-ADB4-1F3DC32A15FB.jpeg
    A1D94098-ACA0-4616-ADB4-1F3DC32A15FB.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 15
I'm thinking about getting a 300 win mag barrel for my single shot rifle but not sure if it's a good idea. Getting a second shot off is pretty fast but obviously not as fast as a bolt action. The rifle is also 5.5lbs w/o scope so I suspect the recoil could be a handful. My normal go to is a 13 year old Sako Finnlight in 300WSM and I really enjoy shooting it. Recoil has never bothered me with that gun so thinking I might be able to make it work with the single shot.

The obvious benefit will be a lighter rifle in the field and it's an awesomely accurate rifle with the .243 and 6.5x55SE barrels. It would also be a great memory to take an elk with that rifle. I suppose the worst case is that I reduce the loads to 30-06 speeds if I have to. My preferred bullet is the Barnes 175gr LRX so that can help keep it manageable. Curious if anyone else hunts with a lightweight single shot for elk.
seeing that there is no practical reason to do it, if you want to buy a barrel and kill an elk with that rifle, just do it... if recoil is a concern, just get a 30-06 barrel, it won't bounce off.

your finnlight is a great elk rifle, so it comes down to your own personal desire to kill an elk with that single shot... there is no "reason" to do it, but if it interests you, there is no reason not to either.

Maverick1

WKR
I’ve shot quite a few elk with my single shot…..bow! LOL. Some of the guns in this thread look really nice.