Single stage press question

tdhanses

WKR
So since I got back into reloading a few years ago I have use a lee breech lock challenger press, it is their lower priced option made out of cast aluminum. Is it worth upgrading if all I use the press for is full length sizing? I would assume the die is the key component in the equation for this task.

If it is worth upgrading what is the better option and why is it, no progressive or turret presses please.

rayporter

WKR
you are correct that the dies are the heart of reloading and not the press. all the press does is give you the mechanical ability to get a case into a die. in fact presses are not needed at all. I have loaded thousands of rounds with Wilson dies and when I started with them I tapped the case in with a hammer before I got an arbor press.

my only complaint with the lee is that it does not cam over. I have one and I think it is limited to what can be resized in it.

my first press was a lyman c press bought in 1965 and it is still going strong. my go to press for stuff larger than 6br. and up to 300 win mag.
I use a hood press for the small stuff and keep the the lee for odd stuff like pulling bullets. you can buy these used quite reasonable. last year I picked up a spare lyman for 20 bucks and 2 years ago bought the lee for 10$ at a gun show.

the smaller o presses will give some extra strength and make you feel like you can do a little more. and if you have real big cases they are needed. if you get into forming brass for wildcats they may be necessary. but so far I have got by with my lyman c press making wildcats.

there are some great alternatives also, like the forrester co-ax which is strong and has easy to change dies. perhaps even easier than the lee breech block and you don't need extra blocks to put the dies in.

so to answer your question outright,,,maybe. if you have trouble sizing cases or plan to get a larger caliber it may be worthwhile.

but just cause the lee is a lee. don't bother to upgrade.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah I use Wilson seating does and an arbor press. I never seemed to have an issue FL sizing my 270wsm with it so probably just stick with it for now.

Shrek

WKR
I love my Co-Ax and think it was money well spent but if I wasn’t using a Co-Ax I’d be using a Lee Classic Cast. I’m supposed to help a friend learn to load sometime this week on a Breach Lock press I found for him. First time I used a Breach Lock is years ago and hadn’t used anything else so I had no reference. The Breach Lock got the job done but it didn’t have a smooth beefy feel to it as I remember. Everything I’ve ever used made by Lee has worked well and the collet neck dies are the best of the best imo.