Sirui ST-124 with VA-5. Your thoughts?

Trees91

WKR
Who is using one? I have a cheaper Sirui tripod with a VA-5 and really like it, but the tripod could be a little more sturdy. The center post has some wiggle to it no matter how much I tighten it. I am wanting to get a new tripod and va5 set up and make mine a back up/loaner.

I really like the VA-5, don't need anything better for a head......wondering if the upgrade of tripod is worth it. Does it seem pretty sturdy?

Also what does the whole ST-124 set up weigh with the VA 5 head?

Thanks.

I have a Sirui ST-124 tripod with the VA-5 head and am very happy with it. I use it for my Meostar S2 82 spotter. I was using a Slik 634 but the ST-124 is more stable in the wind with the spotter and is only 0.6 lbs heavier. It has a much heavier load rating than the Slik 634. i think the ST-124 and VA-5 head together weigh 3.5 lbs. I still use the Slik 634 for my Meostar 15s.

Last edited:
OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
5 plus pounds sounds hefty. I'll have to weigh mine. I wanna say it's around 3 but could be wrong. The ST-124 must be a much beefier tripod....it's hard to tell the differences online just looking at pictures.

jestanw1

FNG
I am using it and I’m very happy with it. Very stable and the head seems to work pretty well. I might try the step up in the VA fluid heads next year but this is a solid tripod. Mine weighs 3.6 lbsimage.jpg

jestanw1

FNG
Also the center post is actually a triangle and I think that design is much sturdier then round posts. I can stand up and glass through 15’s with the center post extended and it doesn’t have any wiggle to it. Not sure what your center post is but this one is pretty sweet.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
The one I currently have now is round. The triangle is what caught my eye. Makes it much more compact diameter wise when folded up too...I think I'll need to order one.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I was hoping 5lbs was wrong...that would weigh as much as my rifle! Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:

jestanw1

FNG
If you’re ordering one make sure to call Cameraland NY and get the rockslide discount. Mine also came with a mail in rebate at the time. Not sure if that’s still available though

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I have the discount code still and it appears to be working when I added it to the cart. Not sure on the rebate dates though.

jestanw1

FNG
I called them and the guy I talked to brought it up. May be worth giving them a call in the morning. It was either $30 or $50. Can’t remember for sure.

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely call instead of buying online. With the code online you’re at ~$297 and qualify for a $15 rebate but if you call they’ll ring you up at $300 and you’ll qualify for a $30 rebate.

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up this setup from the guys at cameraland, which has been a favoirte of mine since i won a pair of binos from them years ago, and can’t wait to mess around with it. I’m going to run my binos on it and my father will run his spotter. I found this post when doing some quick research on it and thanks to those and this site for pushing us over the edge to get it.

Kostrize

WKR
Very happy with mine. I also tried it with a Triclawps and ball head and it’s worked great. Best tripod and head I’ve found for the money

j43097

FNG
Very happy with mine, has any one been shooting off of it? haven't tried and am curious