Sirui T-024SK vs ST125

Kayl

FNG
I am buying a new tripod with the VA5 pan head. I think I have narrowed it down to the T-024SK and the ST125. In looking at the online reviews, it appears that the spec weight of the T-024SK is actually lower than what it really weighs. Does anyone know what the actual difference in weights between the tripods are?

FWIW, I'm 6'4", so a taller tripod is of value to me. I already have a MeFoto Globetrotter CF that I use for photography, so the thought of the T-024SK's light weight and compact profile is interesting, but the water/dust proofing of the ST125 is also very attractive. Intended use will be mostly standing with binos for me and the family while in several western national parks this summer.

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know about the weight difference, but the T-024SK will be to short for you to stand behind glassing. I'm 6-2" using the tall Outdoorsman adapter and the tripod is a couple inches to short for me to stand upright behind. I like the setup, but would enjoy it more if I could stand sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have sold hundreds of each. Without a doubt go with the ST125. In addition to the height you get weatherproof twist locks and retractable spikes. Use code TS22 at checkout to save 15%

Thank you

Joel

svivian

WKR
I know everyone is different.... I'm 6'3" and I bought a tripod that I could use standing. I only use it standing less than 10% of the time, if I plan to hang out a while I'm going to be sitting. Additionally opening that many sets of legs to get it tall enough yet be able to get it compact enough for a pack has made me realize a taller tripod is not necessary. I'm sure as you know with photography, that at that height if its a light tripod you will also get a lot of movement and stability issues. Just my .02

JStol5

WKR
I chose between the ST124 and T-024SK. I picked up the ST124. More stable, more compact when folded up, and waterproof where it counts. Small difference in price to pay.

OP
K

Kayl

FNG
I chose between the ST124 and T-024SK. I picked up the ST124. More stable, more compact when folded up, and waterproof where it counts. Small difference in price to pay.
I went with the ST124, should be here Monday or Tuesday! :)

I just got the ST-124 w/ VA-5 head from Cameraland as well coincidentally. Blown away by the quality, stability, and weight. It’s a little long folded down for my tastes, but was just the ticket for standing while looking through a straight spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JStol5

WKR
I just got the ST-124 w/ VA-5 head from Cameraland as well coincidentally. Blown away by the quality, stability, and weight. It’s a little long folded down for my tastes, but was just the ticket for standing while looking through a straight spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got mine today too from GoHunt... felt the same way. You can always remove a leg section if you want to shorten it up. I think that would work.

OP
K

Kayl

FNG
I got mine today too from GoHunt... felt the same way. You can always remove a leg section if you want to shorten it up. I think that would work.
I got mine yesterday. I'm happy with it overall, just wish it were a bit shorter folded up. Even with the fluid head it's lighter than my other carbon fiber tripod, so I'm happy with that!

JStol5

WKR
I got mine yesterday. I'm happy with it overall, just wish it were a bit shorter folded up. Even with the fluid head it's lighter than my other carbon fiber tripod, so I'm happy with that!
Been using a hand me down crappy plastic and metal tripod from my dad from the 90s... strictly used for filming holidays! This is a big upgrade.

ToolMann

WKR
Do you know if you remove a leg section can you attach the foot piece to what would then be the lowest section. Figured I'd ask before pulling things off 😁.

JStol5

WKR
Do you know if you remove a leg section can you attach the foot piece to what would then be the lowest section. Figured I'd ask before pulling things off 😁.
I think you can. I saw a Stone Glacier video about tripods where one of the guys did that. I would do it on my ST124 for a backpack hunt

ToolMann

WKR
I think you can. I saw a Stone Glacier video about tripods where one of the guys did that. I would do it on my ST124 for a backpack hunt
Have a backpacking scouting trip coming up. I may try removing the bottom sections from my ST124 and see how much weight it saves and if I can reattach the "feet".

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Have a backpacking scouting trip coming up. I may try removing the bottom sections from my ST124 and see how much weight it saves and if I can reattach the "feet".

I know this is an older thread but I have been wondering about this for a while now. Has anyone been able to remove leg sections of the ST-125 and find a solution for the feet?

sr80

WKR
I know this is an older thread but I have been wondering about this for a while now. Has anyone been able to remove leg sections of the ST-125 and find a solution for the feet?
what ive done with carbon tripods when i remove leg sections is, ill take the bottom leg out. Measure how much of the carbon material is needed for the twist lock to bite and grab on to when tightened. And then cut the left over carbon leg off with a hack saw. Then ill slide it back into the leg it came out of and then grazy glue the twist lock and lock it. So the twist lock is still there as well as the foot but the foot of carbon leg inside is no longer. Saves a bit of weight if you do say two leg sections. Other than that you'll just have open holes in the bottom of your legs where the legs were removed. You'd probably want to plug them with something and protect the carbon legs or they'll break.