Sirui Tripod for a Shooting Platform

Kostrize

WKR
Hi all

I’m pretty set on a Sirui ST-124 for binos and spotting scope stability. My question is: would it be stable and robust enough for a lightweight rifle? It is rated for 22 lbs. I’ve never used a rifle on tripod but would like the dual use as an option. Also considering the Sirui W-1204 or some FLM tripods if I need a heavier duty platform

I saw that a lot of tripods guys are shooting off of are 10 layer carbon and are rated to 40 lbs or more. I’m not carrying a heavy PRS style rifle or anything but don’t want to load the tripod with my bodyweight and risk breaking it. Anybody using a lightweight tripod rated for load bearing in the 20 lb range for shooting?

Thanks!

mthayr

WKR
Check out the Sirui AM-254/284. Paired with a leveling head and an Arca QR clamp its almost exactly 3 pounds and stable as heck. You can get an extension column for it if you want to stand glassing, but you'd be more stable shooting off a knee and using your pack as an arm(pit) brace, for which its a perfect height. The 254 (which I have) is rated to 26.5# and for half a pound more in weight the 284 (which now I'm wondering if I should have bought) supports up to 33#. Not bad for a sub-3# set of legs.

I was actually going to start a "What shooting/glassing platform are you using?" thread tomorrow once I got some pics of mine. Unfortunately my stock is out being dipped so I can't show-n-tell with the rifle on it.

Hey I don't know if you've pushed the go button on this but give Joel at Cameraland a call. They carry Sirui and he will take care of you. Tell him you're from Rokslide.

If you don't need the 62" of height this one offers, it might be overkill and you could get more stability or weight capacity in a slightly shorter tripod or even just shed some weight.

I went thru this whole wanting to shoot from a tripod this winter phase and ditched my old aluminum tripod and pan head for one of leofoto's ranger class CF tripods and a ball head. I have had it out a few time now and it's ridiculously steady.

OP
K

Kostrize

WKR
Thanks I went through CameralandNY, couldn’t be happier with the setup for glassing. Great price too. Haven’t worked out a rifle Setup for it yet

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if the OP i still considering this or not but I have been running the Sirui ST-124 with a Sunwayfoto 44 GNN ballhead for the whole summer/fall here. Occasionally I toss a hog saddle on and shoot with my hunting rifles and the tripod can definitely handle shots even in the standing.
Have not shot off anything else other than a PRST tripod but for the size and weight, the ST-124 is pretty badass both for glassing and shooting.

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all

I’m pretty set on a Sirui ST-124 for binos and spotting scope stability. My question is: would it be stable and robust enough for a lightweight rifle? It is rated for 22 lbs. I’ve never used a rifle on tripod but would like the dual use as an option. Also considering the Sirui W-1204 or some FLM tripods if I need a heavier duty platform

I saw that a lot of tripods guys are shooting off of are 10 layer carbon and are rated to 40 lbs or more. I’m not carrying a heavy PRS style rifle or anything but don’t want to load the tripod with my bodyweight and risk breaking it. Anybody using a lightweight tripod rated for load bearing in the 20 lb range for shooting?

Thanks!

I have the Sirui ST-125 and I love it. I run two different heads on it depending on the circumstances. It definitely seems robust enough from the seated and kneeling positions, but I can't vouch for it when standing. It's light enough to comfortably carry and I was mostly concerned about getting my little girl in a good position to shoot a deer this last fall. Here's a clip of her practicing. (Note: I should have lengthened the legs instead of raising the center column, I've since switched to a short column for my RRS Anvil-30 head.)

IMG_6054.jpg

I have the Sirui ST-125 and I love it. I run two different heads on it depending on the circumstances. It definitely seems robust enough from the seated and kneeling positions, but I can't vouch for it when standing. It's light enough to comfortably carry and I was mostly concerned about getting my little girl in a good position to shoot a deer this last fall. Here's a clip of her practicing. (Note: I should have lengthened the legs instead of raising the center column, I've since switched to a short column for my RRS Anvil-30 head.)

View attachment 506830
Where did you find the shorter center column?

ofl0926

WKR

View attachment 506830

How are you liking that setup with the RRS anvil. I’ve been killing myself trying to find a setup without spending RRS money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider
How are you liking that setup with the RRS anvil. I’ve been killing myself trying to find a setup without spending RRS money.

Do I like the Anvil head? Absolutely. It’s worth the money to own. Is it the perfect all in one hunting/shooting head? Probably not. It’s definitely more geared toward the avid shooter. Since I spend the majority of my time in the field looking through glass, and a very small percentage, if any, shooting from it, it’s probably overkill. I’ve been using that interchangeable system this past year but I’d also like to drop a pound of weight if I can. Everyone’s definition of a perfect setup is different. For me, 28mm legs are about perfect. I have a Leofoto 324c and it’s awesome, but just too bulky for me to pack around. If you have to have a center column, the Sirui ST-125 or ST-124 are great options. If center column isnt a must, id definitely recommend the Leofoto 284c. I just ordered one and I’ve been trying out the Leofoto panning ball heads this winter. The LH-30 and LH-40 with the LSC-50 picatinny/arca clamp have both been awesome so far. To each his own, but these are some great options I’ve personally tried.

08A08E0F-8487-490C-A880-2B97EBA141CD.jpeg

5A83D730-FD8F-44F2-AAF9-4A66A9897E1E.jpeg

BABFEEF3-3D6E-499A-9188-9ED2A98CFC0E.jpeg

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 506830
So, you simply switch out center columns for different heads?

dwhicker

FNG
Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet but they have the ST-124 + VA5 head for 280 on Amazon. Ships directly from Camerland. I ordered one a few months back and it’s a phenomenal tripod and head. I don’t shoot off of mine but it handles large spotting scopes with ease so I’m sure it would be robust enough especially with the center post all the way down.

I have been using the Two Vets no name junior with an Anvil 30 with good success. Unfortunately the stoped offering that tripod.

For a shooting tripod I wouldn’t go any smaller than 28mm legs.