Sirui VA-5 Plate Tolerances

Netherman

WKR
I currently have a VA-5 head and two 70A plates and am looking for a smaller plate for my outdoorsmans bino mount (fits better in bino harness). I've tried the cheapy arca plates on amazon and the sirui TY-C10 plate. Both of them do not index the same as they have a less deep v-notch than the 70A. Has anyone found a smaller plate that indexes the same as the 70A? Did I just get an off tolerance C10?

Kostrize

WKR
I use the Outdoorsmans adapter with their bino Mount and it fits perfect on my VA-5

I believe it’s this part:

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
I use the Outdoorsmans adapter with their bino Mount and it fits perfect on my VA-5

I believe it’s this part:

Do you use the 70A plate as well? Looking for something that doesn’t require the set screw to be adjusted switching between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cfujan

FNG
Do you use the 70A plate as well? Looking for something that doesn’t require the set screw to be adjusted switching between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you ever get anything figured out with this issue? I am running the exact same setup with the VA-5 and then the C10, 50E, and 70A plates. Hate that I have to adjust the screw when going from one to the other.

BBob

WKR
Did you ever get anything figured out with this issue? I am running the exact same setup with the VA-5 and then the C10, 50E, and 70A plates. Hate that I have to adjust the screw when going from one to the other.

I did not. I mounted a Kirk quick release clamp on the 70A plate and left that assembly on the VA-5. The Kirk has a knob and will quickly adjust to any ARCA plate. The only other way around it would be to buy a bunch of the same exact plates to use on every optic you own. I don’t know why the Siriu plates vary, should be consistent within a manufacturer.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
I ended up returning the C10 and amazon plates and tried the outdoorsman's arca attachment for their bino adapter. It's not 100% perfect but workable with a 70A plate. The outdoorsmans arca is a bit bigger than the 70A but can be used on the same set screw setting.

willidru

WKR
I don’t remember the plate off had but it was Sirui plate on my VA5 and it didn’t fit. Called to retailer and they said it wasn’t uncommon and sent me a new plate.

I had the same issue. I bought the Outdoorsmans arca adapter plate for my bino adapter, but I hated that I had to adjust the screw to get it to index when switching between my spotter on the TY-70 and my binos. I tried the C-10, and it didn't index the same as the TY-70 either, so I bought the TY-50, and it works perfectly. Indexes exactly the same as the TY-70, and it's shorter and fits into the side pocket of my Kuiu Pro bino harness.

nphunter

WKR
I think it will just need to be trial and error, I have an old vortex skyline that's discontinued that I have multiple plates for. I just bought a surui setup and the plates interchange between the two. I also build a VA-5 window mount for my work truck and plan to use the same plates for every piece of glass I own. I'm very tempted just to cut one of the 70's in half and count it to my bino adapters, my outdoorsman adapter is only about 22mm across at the base and it would be nice to just cut one to that size, a person could probably make a couple out of a 70 and pick up a screw from the local hardware store. The big plates are great for tripods and cameras but no so much on little bino adapters, it's a pain to have to take them off and on, I'd like one small enough I can just leave it on the bino adapter permanently.

One thing about the VA-5 that took me a while to figure out. Maybe all y'all already know this? Can't hurt to add...I have two TY-70As that are different sizes. I couldn't figure out why the second plate I ordered was smaller and wouldnt cinch down. Then I realized that you can get more than one rotation out of the VA-5 Quick Release Clamp Locking Knob by pulling out on the knob, and then continuing to spin until the clamp is as tight as you need it.