Sissy stix trekking pole?

Ive used black diamonds for years and can vouch for them. There are lots of different threads you may want to search for on this forum highlighting different opinions. Both black diamond and leki have a lot of different options (carbon vs aluminum etc). Ive no experience with sissy stix but anything that gritty swears is "the best ever" automatically gets a huge amount of skepticism from me. I would stay away from sissy stix and go with something that is a little more tried and true.

Gapmaster

WKR
I use Black Diamond. No complaints from me. I don’t have experience with any other brands so hard to compare. I would suggest what ever you get, cork handles are nice. I had rubber first then went to cork, wouldn’t go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Are Sissy Stix still in business? Black Diamond is a known quantity. Good product.

I second the comments on going cork. Much nicer on the hands than rubber.

Jeremy

I’ve broke a pair of Lekis. I was a little skeptical on the sissy stix but gave them a try and I’m pleasantly surprised how well constructed they are. They are lightweight but feel super sturdy compared to my all carbon Leki. I’ve done a rugged sheep hunt and elk hunt with them with zero issues and at just over $100 I would give them a try!

Pezboat

WKR
I had an absolutely terrible experience with Sissy Stix. I’ve run BD for years. Decided to switch it up. Terrible idea. I’m back to the BD’s now. Customer service with Sissy Stix was a nightmare. The one positive with them is they send you every accessory you could want.

I have had a couple pairs of REI brand poles, they have been good. The first pair were twist lock to adjust the length and one stripped out and wouldn't tighten. I just put a small sheet metal screw in it to fix the length of that section and they still work fine. I've since bought another pair of REI brand poles that have a quick release tab to hold the tension. They have been great for me over the past 2-3 seasons. Fairly inexpensive, maybe $65 or so.

I saw them on a Gritty podcast. Half aluminum and half carbon I think? I'm still on my first set of REI brand carbon poles that have stood up to my test which consists of scouting and humping camp and meat. I don't use them while I'm hunting but they are on my pack

Last edited:

JMDavies

WKR
I have a pair of Leki carbon poles. They work well but I'm sure I could have spent less money and gotten the same performance. I'll end up trying another brand when I retire the Leki.

Black Diamond for me. Alpine FLZ cork. It’s not just about their products it’s also about customer service. I use their headlamps too.

MAC1585

FNG
I fall in to the black diamond crowd as well. That being said I got my boy some of the Costco ones mentioned above and for the money they are really nice. Never had any experience w/ sissy sticks sorry.

TX_Diver

WKR
I don't have experience with either of the ones you mentioned but was highly impressed with the S&S trekking poles I bought and beat up on an ibex hunt last year. They also have a rokslide discount code.

Worth looking into if you're open to another option. Cheers

LBuchser

WKR
Ive used black diamonds for years and can vouch for them. There are lots of different threads you may want to search for on this forum highlighting different opinions. Both black diamond and leki have a lot of different options (carbon vs aluminum etc). Ive no experience with sissy stix but anything that gritty swears is "the best ever" automatically gets a huge amount of skepticism from me. I would stay away from sissy stix and go with something that is a little more tried and true.
I sense a little animosity towards The Gritty Bowmen . Let's touch on that. Hahaha!

Vaultman

WKR
Reviving an old thread....
Anyone know if Sissy Stix are made in USA? It doesn't say so on their website so I have my suspicion, but does anyone see it where I am missing it?

If they aren't anyone know of any trekking pole brands that are. I see one near me (CNOC), that is made here but has some China sourced parts.