Site Tape New Arrows Looking for Input and Thoughts

NYSKIER

WKR
Been shooting and MBG 5 pin slider for over three years and love it. Also been shooting the same arrows the victory rip tko's is the same fletching and tip setup. The weight of these arrows have remained consistently between 3 grains plus or minus year over year. I just got a brand new batch of 24 which I put together. I weighed each one and they are still hitting the arrow weight that I always aim for most arrows being only 2 grain difference 3 grain difference max. Today I went to shoot those arrows and only really shot three of them but the oddest thing was happening to me. My fixed pins were fine but when i used my slider I was shooting high at all ranges (ex I had to put my slider at around 47 to hit at 50 otherwise I was like 6 inches or more high. At 90 I was way high so this seemed to be reinforcing my though that I might need a new sight tape. It was the first day I've shot them so I'm not changing anything right away but anyone have any input on this? Could it have something to do with the spine of the arrow? They still fly pretty true with my bareshafts at 20.

MT257

WKR
I’d just make new sight tape with sticky note once finalized to your preference then tape over it

Question for clarification. When you say they are hitting high based on your site tape setting, are they also hitting high and grouping above your old arrows? How does the point of impact for old arrows compare to new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say your tape wasn’t perfect before and now it needs to be fixed. The spine wouldn’t affect that if your fixed pins were good and your tape isn’t.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Same fletching all around and the new ones poi is above the old. My old 50 is now around 47 with the new ones. RosinBag any reason why I would see the difference so much now? I've been shooting with the tape for a while and if my form was true I could shoot pretty decent out to 100 yards. Just really puzzled I'll start making new marks on my old tape and then see how I'm doing at the end of next week

If you go out and shoot 5 of your old arrows and 5 of your new arrows and they don’t group the same then something is different about the arrows and it has nothing to do with the tape. If they group together and your broadheads shoot fine the as said before either re-index or use another tape to get them back on at the appropriate yardage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a couple issues that may lead to what your experiencing, but I doubt that is the issue. If you arrows weigh the same and the same spine, I doubt there is that much variance with the arrows you are shooting.

There should be a sticky about how to build accurate sight tapes. If it is not a sticky, it’s on the home page as an article.

Or call me anytime.

916 607-1211

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
There are a couple issues that may lead to what your experiencing, but I doubt that is the issue. If you arrows weigh the same and the same spine, I doubt there is that much variance with the arrows you are shooting.

There should be a sticky about how to build accurate sight tapes. If it is not a sticky, it’s on the home page as an article.

Or call me anytime.

916 607-1211
Thanks Rosin Bag I'm going to use the article that just got put up by Rob at S&S archery hopefully after that I'll be good to go

Definitely shoot a group of old arrows then shoot a group of new at 60 or so to see the difference. Did you change from offset to helical? I fletched some with a slight offset then the crazy helical of the mini max or whatever it’s called and the helical dropped more the further I shot

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Definitely shoot a group of old arrows then shoot a group of new at 60 or so to see the difference. Did you change from offset to helical? I fletched some with a slight offset then the crazy helical of the mini max or whatever it’s called and the helical dropped more the further I shot
Did not change a thing have had the same helical the whole time

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Is you anchor point the exact same and your peep hasn't moved or have you had some string stretch? All these can cause an arrow to hit high to some degree. But this is me reaching for a conclusion.

It could honestly just have been an off day of shooting. This same situation has happened to me before and I ended up chasing my sight around. Which ultimately had me back at the same sight tape.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Is you anchor point the exact same and your peep hasn't moved or have you had some string stretch? All these can cause an arrow to hit high to some degree. But this is me reaching for a conclusion.

It could honestly just have been an off day of shooting. This same situation has happened to me before and I ended up chasing my sight around. Which ultimately had me back at the same sight tape.
Yea I know what you mean that's why I'm waiting to shoot for at least a week before I move anything

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Update I shot all last week and tuned my bow and now everything is back to normal. Not quite sure if I just had two bad days or I was out wildly out of tune. I went step by step got back in tune made sure I had no rest contact and then I was back to normal and my old tape worked just fine.