Sitka advice

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone,
I appreciate all the help this community gives to each other. I had a question I wanted to get some quick advice on.
I'm taking my kids to western Utah this year for their first Mule deer hunt on a general tag. We are used to hunting Blacktail deer in Aug/Sept. I'm working on getting my daughter set up with some Sitka gear because she's done growing and loves the open country pattern. I already got her a mens small Jetstream jacket on a great deal from camo fire. The rest I've been looking for as new or used. She has a good pair of 240g smart wool thermals as a base layer for those cold days. She also has a good puffy from marmot.
My question is what other layers would you recommend for her for Utah in mid October? I'm used to First Lite and Kuiu so having trouble discerning what the best layers for her would be in Sitka. I'm just not familiar with the specifics of Sitka gear. Thinking a lightweight core long sleeve shirt and a core lightweight or midweight hoodie?? I hunt Idaho and I assume the weather will be similar, could be hot, could be nice or could be cold. We'll be hunting with some friends and are using a wall tent for camp. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Matt

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Core heavy weight hoody or fanatic hoody, both come in women's sizes. I would get a light weight hoody as well for base and hiking in or packing out.

bozeman

WKR
Apex pant, Apex hoody and be done...

Core lightweight crew and a heavy weight zip to go under the Jetstream would also work..best of luck.

OP
srfdmatty

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it! My son and daughter are really excited about their first mule deer hunt!

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
If I were your kid being taken on a mule deer hunt and having Sitka given to me, I'd be excited too!
You just might win Dad of the Day!

OP
srfdmatty

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. She's hunted in hand me downs, used gear and what ever I could find for free the last 5 years while we hog and black tail deer hunted. Since her job, school and sports are shot this year due to corona I thought I'd treat her. As long as she has a good time hunting that's all I care about
She'll be happy with just being successful no matter what the size of the buck!

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on styles there were some killer deals on the closeout women’s on the sitka website. I do recommend looking at the women’s specific gear. My wife is so happy with the fit of the cloths and she says it keeps her motivated to stay fit because she doesn’t want to buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of fit, my wife saw me trying on a pair of Apex pants the other day and said "why can't you get non hunting pants that fit that well?" I'm confused - if it isn't for hunting, who cares how it fits?

OP
srfdmatty

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of fit, my wife saw me trying on a pair of Apex pants the other day and said "why can't you get non hunting pants that fit that well?" I'm confused - if it isn't for hunting, who cares how it fits?
Haha yeah no kidding! That's the truth

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
In Utah, make sure you've got blaze orange to go over all that fancy Optifade.

406unltd

WKR
Depends on how active the hunt is. I do a mixture during late season. Early and late in the day I am active and midday I bunker down more. With that said decent pants and heavyweight fleece and baselayer for active and then puffy top/ bottom for sitting. Will get you close. Add layer up top as needed.

HNTR918

WKR
Core Heavyweight base layers.
Mountain pants.
Kelvin Active while moving or warm weather.
Kelvin Puffy Pants and WS Kelvin Hoody when glassing over the top.