SITKA Ambient Collection

SITKA

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
SITKA has introduced its most advanced line of insulation pieces to date with the new Ambient Collection featuring PrimaLoft Evolve insulation. Each piece is engineered to adapt to changing weather conditions as well as levels of activity. This means when users are static and temperatures are low, the pieces insulate to deliver warmth. When wearers are active or temperatures rise, the pieces breathe well to expel heat.

img_SITKA_HS_2022_600042-PY-Ambient-Hoody-Pyrite_Studio_00843-HR-Large.jpeg

“These active insulation products adapt to changing conditions allowing for more efficient layering,” said John Barlow, SITKA’s Big Game Product Manager. “The Ambient Collection transitions seamlessly from outerwear when active to a mid-layer as activity slows and temperatures drop.”

The Collection features a Men’s Ambient Jacket ($309), a Women’s Ambient Jacket ($309), and a Men’s Ambient Hoody ($279). Each item is constructed with post-consumer recycled PrimaLoft Evolve insulation, 20-denier ripstop nylon fabric for durability, a DWR finish for enhanced weather protection, and mechanical stretch to provide comfort and a full range of motion.

The PrimaLoft Evolve insulation mimics properties found in animal fur with fibers of differing lengths and deniers to create natural highs and lows in the material. This produces highly open structures that maximize airflow when on the move, and air entrapment when at rest, for optimal thermal performance with low bulk. Additionally, SITKA designed the pieces without a traditional liner, making the garments two layers instead of the commonly used three-layer construction. This creates a more efficient transfer of heat and moisture.

img_SITKA_BG_2022_600043-OB-Ambient-Jacket-Optifade-Open-Country_Studio_0306-HR-Large.jpeg

Each item is available in GORE OPTIFADE Subalpine with other select GORE OPTIFADE Patterns and solid colors available. To learn more about the collection, view a video overview and explore available colorways visit www.sitkagear.com/ambient.

Attachments

• img_SITKA_BG_2022_600044-SA-Ws-Ambient-Jacket-Optifade-Subalpine_Studio_0193-HR-Large.jpeg
    img_SITKA_BG_2022_600044-SA-Ws-Ambient-Jacket-Optifade-Subalpine_Studio_0193-HR-Large.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 167
  • img_SITKA_BG_2022_600043-OB-Ambient-Jacket-Optifade-Open-Country_Studio_0306-HR-Large.jpeg
    img_SITKA_BG_2022_600043-OB-Ambient-Jacket-Optifade-Open-Country_Studio_0306-HR-Large.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 165

H80Hunter

WKR
Is that picture outdated? It seems like a hoodless full zip, and a hooded half zip. The one pic shows a hooded full zip.

prm

WKR
While I understand it are active insulation, does the hoody offer much in the way of wind blocking? How would it compare to a Kelvin Active in terms of wind?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by the new material, primaloft evolve. I was expecting this garment to contain Polartec Direct Alpha like the Alpha Jacket and Hoody but this is a new active insulation material. How do the two insulation materials compare on properties like:
- weight-to-warmth
- dry time
- moisture wicking
- thermoregulation
- durability (in terms of longevity from compression as opposed to from brush busting)
- warmth when wet
- breathability

I'm intrigued but unsure how this compares to something like the Arrowhead hoody.

@mtwarden do you reckon this new piece can be included in the mid layer shootout. It offers a distinct perspective of garment type.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Put a hood on the men's jacket too, thanks. We've only been asking for an active insulation piece with a hood since the Kelvin Active came out. If you can do it on the women's jacket you can do it on the men's as well.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Put a hood on the men's jacket too, thanks. We've only been asking for an active insulation piece with a hood since the Kelvin Active came out. If you can do it on the women's jacket you can do it on the men's as well.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
This is such a weird concept...is it supposed to replace the KAJ? I was about to pull the trigger on the pyrite hoody until I realized it didn't do a full zip...

H80Hunter

WKR
One of the barklow videos he has an EVII version of the jacket so my guess is it’s also going to replace the Celsius midi which remains on sale and is likely discontinued.

280$ hoody… yikes!

I bet they are nice pieces, I just can’t see paying that for an active insulation item… I guess if the reviews are really good I may consider it, and it does look to be pretty versatile in its niche.

I am confused. In the videos Barklow talks about sweating through the system using puffy… not that I hike in puffy insulation a ton, but if you can hike to glass using it (ambient) as active insulation, then glass in it… does this line look to replace down/aero lite gear?
Cheers.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ it won’t replace a static insulation piece (puffy); except maybe a warm early season hunt

prm

WKR
I am confused. In the videos Barklow talks about sweating through the system using puffy… not that I hike in puffy insulation a ton, but if you can hike to glass using it (ambient) as active insulation, then glass in it… does this line look to replace down/aero lite gear?
Cheers.
The video I saw, Barklow said hike to your location wearing Ambient then add static insulation once there. The exception being early season hunts not requiring static insulation (puffy). Edit: I’m a little offended by a $280 tag AND still made in Asia somewhere. I don’t doubt its a good piece, but going to have to think hard about that, and whether any benefit above my current system justifies the price tag.
Does the hoody have any hand pockets? I do see a small chest pocket.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Looks like a cool piece. But I think some of the pseudo-science marketing is getting to peoples heads. As others have mentioned, the pricing is getting insane on these types of glorified fleeces.