SITKA Ambient Collection

Not to derail but adding these thoughts here for those considering the ambient line.

after a little research and looking at @mtwarden review, I went with the arrowhead version. Key points for me were:
  • I wanted a hood AND pockets
  • i like coyote
  • I believe / hope it was roughly the same insulation value as the ambient hoody (90vs100 gram)
  • Price was $225 shipped with welcomeback code so slight cheaper than list on the ambient.
so it arrived next day (+1 for US Elite Gear) and here are initial thoughts:

• For reference, I am 6’3”. 250#. On the dad bod side of the CrossFit spectrum. It is not fat, it is power.
  • XXL weighs in at 15oz
  • hood is snug but not tight. Could wear a ball camp under it but maybe not a bulky beanie. No draw string
  • left breast pocket is ample size for phone, map etc. hand warmer pockets are quite large.
  • no draw string at waist.
  • overall fit is roomy but not billowy, some room to layer underneath
  • sleeves are extra long. Actually cuffs come 3” below my wrists and I wear 36-37“ sleeves. Sleeve fit is not loose but also thankfully NOT that skinny jeans / stick arms sit that Sitka has been putting out lately.
  • exterior fabric feels a little crepey but is quietish, has some stretch.
  • insulation feels like it’s on par with a grid fleece Like a heavyweight hoody but feels thinner and more airy. It looks like a carpet from the 70s.
overall, i am impressed and I am hoping this thing is what I always wanted my kelvin active jacket to be. It seems to sit in a sweet spot between wearing a fleece and a puffy. Time will Tell if the added warmth for comparable weight story holds up. It will be a while before I see the weather to prove this thing out but I am happy to answer questions. Not having seen the ambient in person, I have to imagine that anyone who is contemplating those pieces ought to give the arrowhead stuff a look.

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
Got my large ambient jacket on for the first time today. Fit is not snug but definitely designed to maximize contact with the base layer to move moisture. Could esily fit a base or two under if needed, but not another mid layer as that would get bulky (i know its not designed for that just pointing out the obvious).
Standing in the house i coupd really feel the burn of heat starting to develop quickly with this, might be just because its dang hot in TX right now, but i don’t remember heat building as quickly from my other mid layers. Anxious to give it a run in Ireland in September. I am strongly leaning on the OR foray 2 as my rain/wind shell for that trip and will see how the combo handles mid September Ireland weather. From there it will see time for sure hunting, and likely skiing as well.

Bulkwise, the ambient jacket is about on par with the celcius midi jacket, should easily layer under a similar sized stratus jacket, fanatic jacket, and puffy jacket. For conparison, the kuiu peloton 240 is less bulky but also a tighter fit, the strongfleece hoody is next in line in bulkiness, about the same fitment as the ambient, and then the ambient jacket, and then celcius midi barely a little more bulky with a similar fitment. I can see why sitka is replacing the midi jacket with the ambient, if the ambient does what it is supposed to with moisture but keeps that heat trapped for insulating value.

I feel i can easily wear a fanatic hoody/hvy wt base under the ambient and evem a layer of long johns, a second layer of above bases and the ambient without being too bulky. I do not know if that would be necessary tho as the design will prob make it just a one layer under and then the ambient. Time will tell.

For reference, i am 5’10” and about 185-190 and wear a large in nearly everything i have top-wise.

After spending some more time with the ambient hoody, I think it is the ideal piece I have been looking for as a mid layer. I have tried various hoodies, grid fleece, and merino. For reference, I am 5’11” ~ 200 lbs and I live in a pretty cold and windy area. I run pretty hot generally and the ambient jacket is just too heavy to fit my needs. I have whittled my mid to late season active pursuit systems minus insulation and snivel gear to a core lightweight hoody, the ambient hoody, and a Jetstream. I’m looking hard at a Kelvin aero lite vest as I prioritize warmth to weight ratio. The ambient hoody is light as a croissant, packs down really well, and the outside fabric is quiet enough for me to fit the bill for any bow hunting needs. I wear an XL in all Sitka tops and the ambient hoody fits me in my preferred way. If anyone is familiar with the Kelvin lite hoody [not remotely comparing these two as interchangeable just as fit] they know that the arms are snug [in my experience]. The ambient is roomy but not too roomy in the arms. I think the torso could be a touch tighter but they have a drawstring at the bottom to tighten it down. I am a big fan of the fit of the hood and how soft and comfortable the whole piece is to
wear. I got mine in open country and the camo on it is a bit brighter than my Jetstream and core lw hoody. It doesn’t matter to me but just including it for those who it does. It moves moisture really well but doesn’t have much for wind resistance hence why I am using the Jetstream. Pit and hip zips save lives.

Hey guys - was curious your on your opinions, if you don't mind:

I am looking for a mid layer that I could also have the option of layering over another mid-layer... I know its weird, but I have tried numerous jackets (Jetstream is my current one) and I just don't like how heavy and cumbersome they feel, especially when bow hunting. I obviously have shells and down puffy's for when that type of garment is needed, but I am talking about something I can put over a Peleton 97 or 200 quarter zip (or the like from a different manufacturer, I just happen to have those Kuiu tops) that will be much less bulky than a "jacket" but still provide extra warmth while retaining mobility. The goal is to skip the "jacket" all together, and preferably run another mid-layer, albeit one that is a little heavier that has a more technical face so its better with moisture and the like. I do understand this is marketed as a stand alone mid-layer, which is a bonus for me, but whatever I buy I'd like to fit both purposes.

I was originally looking at the Sawtooth Hybrid and Origin Hoody. I like how Kuiu fits, but nothing in their line strikes me as great for my use case.

The new Ambient Hoody looks like it might be perfect, I just want some additional insight, especially at how well it would layer.

FWIW: I am 6'3, 190 and usually a LT in Sitka and I'm a L or XL in Kuiu, depends on the garment.

@Justin Crossley if you have an opinion, please chime in as well. The more the merrier!

dkell

FNG
@R_burg

Let me preface by saying I am not a big KUIU guy. However, I feel that I am familiar with it enough to give cross-brand comparisons.

FWIW: I am 5'11 - and usually have somewhat of an unusual fit due to my build (wide shoulders, long arms, and a comparatively narrow waist). I usually run an XL in tops from Sitka and an L in First Lite.

I tried on the ambient hoody with a few different items on underneath. A MTN OPS Merino LW Hoody + a First Lite Klamath and the MTN OPS hoody with a Badlands QZ.

In both of these pairings, there was ample room for the hoody to remain tight enough to the base layers to do its job and not feel overly restrictive.

I own the Sawtooth Hybrid vest and it also fits comfortably underneath the hoody with another layer.

Just my two cents, as I said earlier I do have somewhat of a unique fit in my upper garments.

Hope this helped.

R_burg

WKR
@R_burg

Let me preface by saying I am not a big KUIU guy. However, I feel that I am familiar with it enough to give cross-brand comparisons.

FWIW: I am 5'11 - and usually have somewhat of an unusual fit due to my build (wide shoulders, long arms, and a comparatively narrow waist). I usually run an XL in tops from Sitka and an L in First Lite.

I tried on the ambient hoody with a few different items on underneath. A MTN OPS Merino LW Hoody + a First Lite Klamath and the MTN OPS hoody with a Badlands QZ.

In both of these pairings, there was ample room for the hoody to remain tight enough to the base layers to do its job and not feel overly restrictive.

I own the Sawtooth Hybrid vest and it also fits comfortably underneath the hoody with another layer.

Just my two cents, as I said earlier I do have somewhat of a unique fit in my upper garments.

Hope this helped.

That works great, thanks... I appreciate the insight. I think a Kamath is somewhat close to Peleton 200 in weight.

Out of curiosity, is your initial impression that the Ambient is a better piece of kit than the Sawtooth Hybrid? 7oz is 7oz after all, haha.

@R_burg i do often multiple up on the mid layers vs wearing an extra bulky top layer, esp in the middle of WT season. I have not tried this yet, but based on fit, i would gues the jacket would fit very well over a base and another mid layer such as you described. I can not speak to the ambient’s ability to fully maximize moisture movement with another mid layer underneath though, seems a little counter to what it was designed to do.

I look forward to trying the ambient jacket under the stratus jacket for whitetail hunting, and hope it gets me into the 30’s and maybe low 30’s with some sun for static WT hunting, but time will tell.

Hope that helps

dkell

FNG
@R_burg

To me those two items serve different purposes in different scenarios. The ambient hoody is going to be a part of my active/still hunting set up where as I generally use the sawtooth as an insulation piece when I am stand/sitting hunting. I kind of pieced together two kits one based off of merino (odor management) for stand hunting and the other more synthetic based for moisture management. I have long extremities and Reynauds so I generally have to use a bunch of insulation for stand hunting. Plus I live in Minnesota haha.

R_burg

WKR
@R_burg i do often multiple up on the mid layers vs wearing an extra bulky top layer, esp in the middle of WT season. I have not tried this yet, but based on fit, i would gues the jacket would fit very well over a base and another mid layer such as you described. I can not speak to the ambient’s ability to fully maximize moisture movement with another mid layer underneath though, seems a little counter to what it was designed to do.

I look forward to trying the ambient jacket under the stratus jacket for whitetail hunting, and hope it gets me into the 30’s and maybe low 30’s with some sun for static WT hunting, but time will tell.

Hope that helps

Thanks a lot, certainly does help. Bolded is my thought as well, haha, but we can't have it all.

@dkell Makes sense. I hunt MN and upstate NY every other year or so, and I have long arms and legs (luckily no Raynauds tho), so I get it, haha. :)

I'll be buying this mainly for western hunting. Again, thanks for the insight!

Snicolio

WKR
For the people that have the ambient hoody, do you feel the arms run a little shorter. I have mostly everything in a large but had an issue with the length of the sleeves for this piece.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the people that have the ambient hoody, do you feel the arms run a little shorter. I have mostly everything in a large but had an issue with the length of the sleeves for this piece.
The LG was slightly short on sleeves for me. I went LG/Tall and like the arm length, but wish it wasn't quite so long in the torso.

H80Hunter

WKR
I’d 100% agree the sleeves run a touch short… not short enough to exchange for a tall size for me but if you are close I think it’s fair to say they are a little short. Nothing ridiculous though.

As a deaigned mid layer, the sleeves shouldn’t be longer than the outside layer.

I dont find the sleeves too short but i am not an albatross either. If you have long limbs, you may feel the sleeve cut is a little short.

FWIW the sleeves on the arrowhead jacket I bought are extra long. Easily fit my 37” sleeve length with a couple inches to spare.

FWIW the sleeves on the arrowhead jacket I bought are extra long. Easily fit my 37” sleeve length with a couple inches to spare.
I have an active jacket and an arrowhead hoodie in the same size, the sleeves are definitely longer on the arrowhead.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I received a Ambient hoody today as part of our upcoming mid-layer "shoot out".

A couple of quick notes- I have a size Large and it fits me uncannily good- I'm 5'11" 180-ish. Sleeve length is perfect (forearm room is good), torso perfect as well and like the hood too.

I weighed it at 12.2 oz, so a little under their spec of 13 oz on their site- which is always nice :)

Looking at the Evolve next to Alpha Direct- I'm having a hard time distinguishing between the two. I'll look closer with a magnifying glass, but safe to say they are definitely very similar (which is probably a good thing as I have nothing but praise for the Alpha Direct)

Just another fyi, i got my shell jacket in today and it layers perfectly over the ambient jacket (large and large). I got the Outdoor Research Foray 2 jacket as my shell component for potential skiing in moderate temperatures, my trip to
Ireland as a wind and water shell, and potentially for a hunting shell if needed for western hunting or even early season WT hunting, but i do have a thunderhead jacket as well in subalpine (wish it had the pit zips the foray jacket does).

I just wanted to let you all know the ambient jacket layers nicely under similar sized outer layers.

A lot of positive posts on the Ambient Hoody and I have to agree with all of them. My Core HW Hoody is now out of the rotation. The sleeve and back length on the Core HW Hoody were both longer but too long in a bad way. The Ambient feels good. I’m 5’11” 180 43” chest and a 32” waist, normal torso, and leg length.

I wish they would trim up the stomach just like all of their large pieces to not be as baggy or boxy feeling. This is where Kuiu and First Lite get it right for me. I wish I had a medium to try on. Mediums for me get the stomach profile right but the chest and shoulders are too restrictive.

Breathability on the go is nuts, I’ve never been able to say this about a mid-layer before. When stopping it really does keep you surprisingly warm. In light 5-7mph wind, it feels great.

It weighs 12.1oz for a large

I hope Arc’teryx makes a more fitted piece like this so I can use it ski touring.

Last edited:
I do find the sleeves run a little shorter than most Sitka pieces, they are about the same length as the kelvin active jacket - but the body is longer that the KAJ by id say close to 2".

That being said, the ambient hoody lacking a kangaroo pocket got the best of me. I cut a kangaroo pocket off an old hoodie and had some subalpine material from a core lw longsleeve crew that ripped a while back. Attached the subalpine to the face of that kangaroo pocket and sewed it on the Ambient hoody. It may trap some heat in that 1 spot where i put the kang pocket, but this thing is now the perfect midlayer piece that has more function as an outer layer now.

Attachments

• 9949A143-6153-4CF8-9E0D-CDB3ED05BC2F.jpeg
    9949A143-6153-4CF8-9E0D-CDB3ED05BC2F.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 92
  • EBD7A675-B709-4EE3-96AA-381CB252DE71.jpeg
    EBD7A675-B709-4EE3-96AA-381CB252DE71.jpeg
    660 KB · Views: 96
Last edited: