SITKA Ambient Collection

I was very impressed woth how the ambient jacket shed 10-15mph winds, to the point i felt no influx from coolness with simply a short sleeve shirt on. Temps were low to mid 50’s, very comfortable.

I also was impressed with the dwr on the jacket as it shed some light rain without problem. I was hoping to be able to put the jacket thru its paces while in ireland last week, but the weather didnt cooperate and it was too warm most days and too dry most days to give any outer lyer any attempt to be used. But i did get a couple of days of using the ambient jacket in the early mornings.

I think this jacket is going to he in its wheel house in the 40-30’s woth a simple base layer and either active or static. My guess is the hoody will be about 10-20 degrees above this, More testing is needed, deer season approaches.

I was very impressed woth how the ambient jacket shed 10-15mph winds, to the point i felt no influx from coolness with simply a short sleeve shirt on. Temps were low to mid 50’s, very comfortable.

I also was impressed with the dwr on the jacket as it shed some light rain without problem. I was hoping to be able to put the jacket thru its paces while in ireland last week, but the weather didnt cooperate and it was too warm most days and too dry most days to give any outer lyer any attempt to be used. But i did get a couple of days of using the ambient jacket in the early mornings.

I think this jacket is going to he in its wheel house in the 40-30’s woth a simple base layer and either active or static. My guess is the hoody will be about 10-20 degrees above this, More testing is needed, deer season approaches.
Great to hear, I’m leaning towards picking the jacket up for the mid season into November. I just wish it had a harness port.

Bmarcks31

FNG
I haven’t used other active insulation layers previously so I suppose I can’t tell you if the ambient is any better than the kelvin active series, but I too was very impressed with the ambient hoody. Almost could’ve gotten away with not taking my kelvin light puffy on my Colorado elk hunt this Sept at 10-12k feet. As advertised, the ambient hoody was warm when static but I didn’t overheat when hiking/climbing with a weighted pack. And it’s nice and light!

sr80

WKR
ill be curious how the outer layer on this jacket holds up, ive noticed some pilling and scuffing just from pack straps on mine. Mine is black though so its probably more visible than say a camo pattern. I havent worn mine going through any kind of brush, i dont think i would want to. Seems pretty fragile.

First impressions of the Ambient Hoody:

Ok first of all just go buy this piece and thank everyone on here later. Mine arrived last week and I took it out this weekend for a rifle backpack hunt. had temps 28 - 65 degrees and was so impressed how it works. sheds light wind better than I thought, was quit warm when stationary and really breathes well when moving. I felt less sweaty than my grid fleece while hiking hard. when it was 28 - 30 degrees in morning I put my superdown Pro over the Ambient hoody and was toasty warm.

Fit: I got size large and it fits awesome it is very comfy like I don't even want to takt it off type of comfy. I will say its a little looser in the mid section than I thought it would be, but still fits great.

I honestly do not see a use for my grid fleece anymore. Weighs the same and is much more useful in a wide range of temps.

Welcome to true technical performance.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

Ok first of all just go buy this piece and thank everyone on here later. Mine arrived last week and I took it out this weekend for a rifle backpack hunt. had temps 28 - 65 degrees and was so impressed how it works. sheds light wind better than I thought, was quit warm when stationary and really breathes well when moving. I felt less sweaty than my grid fleece while hiking hard. when it was 28 - 30 degrees in morning I put my superdown Pro over the Ambient hoody and was toasty warm.

Fit: I got size large and it fits awesome it is very comfy like I don't even want to takt it off type of comfy. I will say its a little looser in the mid section than I thought it would be, but still fits great.

I honestly do not see a use for my grid fleece anymore. Weighs the same and is much more useful in a wide range of temps.

I was literally going to post this exact same description after heavy field use last week. Warmth when stationary is quite good, and on the move, it amazes me how well it breaths. It holds back some wind, will take a decent amount of rain, and hiking it dry is easy. I was suprised how wet I could get it yet not feel like it was "leaking" when on the move. The hood is great, cut is good.

Only downside I would echo is in order to gain that performance, you loose outright toughness compared to fleece. That's a trade I'm willing to take for the performance. I've got a bit of rub from my chest rig, as well as a fabric pull from the timber from wearing this.

Very light/comfortable to wear, and I agree, I don't want to take it off!

Drenalin

WKR
I was literally going to post this exact same description after heavy field use last week. Warmth when stationary is quite good, and on the move, it amazes me how well it breaths. It holds back some wind, will take a decent amount of rain, and hiking it dry is easy. I was suprised how wet I could get it yet not feel like it was "leaking" when on the move. The hood is great, cut is good.

Only downside I would echo is in order to gain that performance, you loose outright toughness compared to fleece. That's a trade I'm willing to take for the performance. I've got a bit of rub from my chest rig, as well as a fabric pull from the timber from wearing this.

Very light/comfortable to wear, and I agree, I don't want to take it off!
If I remember right, you've got some experience with the Kuiu Kenai and the SG Cirque too? Unless I'm misunderstanding the specs, the Ambient Hoodie has slightly more insulation than the Kenai. How does it compare for warmth when stationary?

Most of what I've read indicates the Ambient line is primarily intended as a mid layer, but I rarely need more insulation than the Kenai provides and it's starting to look like the Ambient could actually replace it for me.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If I remember right, you've got some experience with the Kuiu Kenai and the SG Cirque too? Unless I'm misunderstanding the specs, the Ambient Hoodie has slightly more insulation than the Kenai. How does it compare for warmth when stationary?

Most of what I've read indicates the Ambient line is primarily intended as a mid layer, but I rarely need more insulation than the Kenai provides and it's starting to look like the Ambient could actually replace it for me.
Yes - I use it as a mid layer to replace grid fleece, as you suggest, so just a baselayer under it. Works well there because the face gives some wind and water resistance.

Cirque isn’t even on the same planet - much, much warmer, true “puffy” to me and cut that way. The kenai is body mapped so does have 90g/m2 in the chest, with 60g/m2 used in arms etc. The ambient specs call out 100g of insulation - it’s really thin though, lots of loft, hard to wrap my mind around that number. Warmth wise, when static, to me it seems like the kenai would be warmer just because it’s a much thicker piece all around. Having used both now, the ambient seems to punch above its weight in static warmth, and I think it can certainly replace the kenai - I don’t think it is ultimately warmer than a kenai though.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved

Would your description and use be the same for an archery hunt? How’s the loudness of the material?

Would your description and use be the same for an archery hunt? How’s the loudness of the material?

very much so. I am more of an archery hunter and do the occasional rifle hunt. I would not hesitate to use this spot n stalk archery or in a tree stand in whitetail woods. Face fabric is very stretchy and is non coated so its soft.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
very much so. I am more of an archery hunter and do the occasional rifle hunt. I would not hesitate to use this spot n stalk archery or in a tree stand in whitetail woods. Face fabric is very stretchy and is non coated so its soft.
Awesome thanks for the feedback

slowelk

WKR

What base layer were you wearing under it?

I wore the ambient hoody in south OK this weekend with a sitka light wt hoody under in a morning hunt that dipped into the 48-50 degree temps, but dead calm. I was hunting in a box blind with my xbow.

Even in the dead calm i was quiet enough to not spook any deer that came to my area, i had deer easily within 10 yards of me and my movement noise did not bother them at all. So the outwr face, while louder than say the stratus, is quiet enough for archery hunting.

Comfort wise, as said above, super comfy. Fit was awesome, hood was nearly perfect cut. I was warm enough all the way to my hands in a purely static situation in those temps i was actually shocked. I fogured i might have a little coolness, but the hoody was great in these temps in a box blind (i think adding about 5 degrees for being somewhat/mostly enclosed vs being in a tree-stand, so reality is prob mid 50’s was very comfortable static). Very pleased.

RAPTOR

WKR
I don't feel like typing a ton, but I've lived in this thing since I got it. I have the hoody. I bought another one in pyrite, and have been using it for whitetail stand hunting. It's quiet as hell in the stand. I do wish they'd have put in a kangaroo pocket but it's not a deal breaker. I'm going to wear this or bring it every day this year to the stand. It is light, warm, sheds light precip, and breathes really well on the walk in. I just run my harness out from the neck area to the tree, or wear my rock climbing harness. May buy the jacket just so I can put it on when I have my full harness on without disconnecting from the tree. Side note: I also bought the UA infil windstopper pants and those have been pretty badass. I'll reevaluate when it dips into the 20's, but the side vents are a nice addition. This is coming from someone who wears stratus pants religiously and has been begging for Sitka to get with the party and put size zips on their pants.

@SITKA - The ratings on your website rate the Fanatic Hoody as having a 5/5 on moisture wicking Vs 4/5 on the Ambient. They both rate the same on “breathability” (4/5).

This can’t be right the way the Ambient is marketed, can it??

Beckjhong

WKR
I love this hoody, but beware. I’ve got some pretty good fabric wear and loose threads where my bino harness and holster ride. Less than 10 days in the field so far.

I love this hoody, but beware. I’ve got some pretty good fabric wear and loose threads where my bino harness and holster ride. Less than 10 days in the field so far.
Thats a bummer. Time will tell for me, but I sure hope fabric durability isn't an issue. At this price point no way something should be wearing after 10 days.

@SITKA - The ratings on your website rate the Fanatic Hoody as having a 5/5 on moisture wicking Vs 4/5 on the Ambient. They both rate the same on “breathability” (4/5).

This can’t be right the way the Ambient is marketed, can it??
A little on this, i am no sitka expert but have both the pieces you speak of.

Temperature wise, they are probably close to same, breathability is close to same as well, i would probably give the fanatic hoody a little higher breathability while the ambient gets a little better warmth.

Where there are differences is in wind and wet. The ambient cuts wind decently. It is not a windbreaker fabric, but you really can not feel much below a 10-15 mph breeze. The fanatic hoody allows wind to go right thru, so your warmth level will diminish quickly in amy kind of wind.

The ambient also sheds light precip really well, while the fanatic would just soak it up.

With the correct weather or puter layers, the ambient hoody and the fanatic will be quite similar. But the ambient is designed more as a mid-outer layer where the fanatic is a mid with an ideal world outer layer indication.

Hope that helps