Sitka and the patterns

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning/afternoon everyone. So I haven’t completely bought into the whole Sitka movement as of yet but I find myself getting closer to purchasing their clothing. I have tried on several articles of clothing and I have really liked it. The only thing is I am not sure of which pattern to really go with. Now I have hunted long enough to know that you can harvest any animal really without the use of “camo” per say but when they only offer 3 types of deer or big game type of patterns then you have to wonder which one. I live in North Alabama so a lot of my hunting is sitting either in a stand or a blind or shooting house so I think the elevated II would work great. Now I do go occasionally to New Mexico to the San Juan area around unit 6A to elk hunt spot and stalk. Here in Alabama as the season goes on a few areas I hunt when the leaves fall etc it gets gloom and doom pretty much. So based on experience which pattern would anyone on here recommend or prefer in both scenarios. Thanks

Jimss

WKR
I like having a selection of camo. Obviously color and pattern can change from season to season and from location to location. I usually set out the different camo patterns in the country where I'll be hunting. The pattern/colors that blend in the most are the ones I choose. A pattern/color in August may be totally different than the pattern/color I choose a month or 2 later at the same location. It's also nice having snow camo....nothing stands out more than a darker camo pattern against snow! Another consideration is changing the color/pattern on top vs your bottoms. I'd say around 85% of hunters choose the same for both...which I believe is a mistake! I really think it's important to break up the human profile. Choosing different patterns does this!

With that said, if possible buy a selection of camo patterns and colors. If you are pinched for cash possibly buy a couple patterns (tops different than bottoms) that are closest to the colors and patterns where you intend on hunting the most.

FlyGuy

WKR
Sitka tends to match the pattern to the activity. There is lots of crossover, but the elevated is primarily for stand hunting. I don't own any of it but believe it to be designed more for sitting still.

The subAlpine and OC are more for moving/hiking/climbing and staying dry, then glassing w/o freezing. Not really the best for stand hunting but it works for me since my deer hunting is way down here by Houston so it never gets very cold.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

My current setup is Kuiu Vias Pants, Reeltree Max-5 Merino Jacket and various solids. I've archery killed whitetail from a treestand, elk from the ground, turkey etc. Be still, play the wind buy whatever feels right and is on sale.

Whip

WKR
I've gradually purchased morea nd more Sitka stuff over the past few years. I love most of the pieces that I've tried, but am more drawn to the function of the garment rather than the pattern. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, but I do really like the Sub Alpine for hunting out west. Elevated II is great as well if they offer it in the particular piece you are looking at.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good morning/afternoon everyone. So I haven’t completely bought into the whole Sitka movement as of yet but I find myself getting closer to purchasing their clothing. I have tried on several articles of clothing and I have really liked it. The only thing is I am not sure of which pattern to really go with. Now I have hunted long enough to know that you can harvest any animal really without the use of “camo” per say but when they only offer 3 types of deer or big game type of patterns then you have to wonder which one. I live in North Alabama so a lot of my hunting is sitting either in a stand or a blind or shooting house so I think the elevated II would work great. Now I do go occasionally to New Mexico to the San Juan area around unit 6A to elk hunt spot and stalk. Here in Alabama as the season goes on a few areas I hunt when the leaves fall etc it gets gloom and doom pretty much. So based on experience which pattern would anyone on here recommend or prefer in both scenarios. Thanks

There is a lot of thought and technology that has been put into the Sitka patterns.

Micro-pattern of small fragmented shapes that consider the way ungulates perceive color and space, making you fade into the background. The same way a leopard's spots help it evade detection while poised to ambush.

Macro-pattern of large fragmented shapes that break up the symmetry of the human body, making you unrecognizable as a predator. Similar to the way a tiger's stripes break up the shape of its body as it stalks prey.

Gore Optifade Subalpine:
This patterns is meant for close ranges 50 yards and under in green vegetated areas. This pattern is meant for early season archery or black powder. I know some people that use this pattern in to the first and second rifle seasons. Some products are only made in certain patterns for certain reasons.

Gore Optifade Open Country-
This pattern is meant for ranges 40 yards and above. The farther away you are the more the "Human Figure" will break up. It is a Rifle season pattern. Most guys use this at high elevations hunting sheep or goats or late season rifle when all the vegetation is dead or dying.

Gore Optifade Elevated II-
This pattern is meant for ranges 80 yards and under. Its is meant for white tail hunting. The technology is made to be sitting in a tree stand and is supposed to blend in with the sky behind you as well as the vegetation below.

This all being said.. I would either recommend the Subalpine pattern or the Elevated II pattern. I have been to Alabama a few times and its usually pretty green there at least till early October from what I remember. I am not going to pick a favorite just because there is a science around each pattern. If I were in your foot steps I would go with the Elevated II just for the fact that you primarily are hunting from a tree stand.

Mt Al

WKR
Spend your money on what you want, however:

Read the sarcasm above, it's all true. Doesn't matter. No offense to those who think it does, who may just be selling, but it doesn't.

Patterns changing over a season!?!?! Really? Patterns change over a half mile hike, at least in the West. Am I supposed to bring multiple pull over smocks to fit the patch of trees I'm walking through (product idea!)? It's marketing, trying to sell some of us a second set of gear - and it works and good on them. We're part of a marketing formula, period.

I love Sitka gear, materials, fit, features, performance. I'm near fan-boy status, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy into the next color scheme.

As above, buy what looks cool in the hero shot.

TravisIN

WKR
I’m a Midwest whitetail guy but everything but my fanatic hoody are subalpine “big game” pieces. I was treestand hunting in sub 20s the other day with snow on the ground in timberline pants and a kelvin active as my outer layers in subalpine. The big game stuff is so much more versatile than whitetail stuff. I haven’t used a bunch of whitetail stuff so I guess that’s just mainly speculation. But if your being mobile and layering right it’s hard to beat the big game stuff for whitetail. Plus it’s great for going out west and blends in super well in the spring chasing turkeys. So for me it’s more about getting the most bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Whichever you think looks best in the hero shot.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

This is all that is really critical. I like to look my best on Facebook after i kill something.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I own the full gambit of Sitka Open Country. More so because of the quality of the clothes than the pattern. Sitka and I'm sure Kuiu, its the quality of the garment that stands them apart. The manufacturing of these are next to none. The thought put into each piece is because the guys that make it, understand the usefulness of each piece, because their hunters themselves. It's certainly not cheap, but will stand years of abuse. The layering systems they provide are light, warm and wind resistant when the correct clothing is matched. I'm not downgrading other clothing manufacturers, but Sitka is just awesome stuff.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord