Sitka Apex for September archery?

07jkjeeper

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone hunting in Sitka Apex for early September hunts? Needing some lighter gear for my archery hunt in New Mexico this year just curious what others think of it.

TravisIN

WKR
I thought the apex pants were perfect for sept in southern Colorado. I love those pants. Can’t speak on the hoody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
07jkjeeper

07jkjeeper

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the apex pants were perfect for sept in southern Colorado. I love those pants. Can’t speak on the hoody.

Awesome! Did the tapered legs fit well around your boots?

Used the pants for two hunts in Colorado last year. Archery pronghorn and muzzle-loader elk. Favorite pants so far for those situations. They held up well and were not too hot, which is what I struggled with when it came to other pants. Sitka's old ascents, Kuiu Alpine and Kuiu Attack.

OP
07jkjeeper

07jkjeeper

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect! How were they in the early morning, did you need much layering?

TravisIN

WKR
Awesome! Did the tapered legs fit well around your boots?

Yea no issues. It’s not tight at all. It’s just tapered to keep them from swishing together. I didn’t need any layering with them. This turkey season when it was in the 40s first part of the day I’d throw the core lightweight baselayer on. But I was pretty much sitting. Once I got moving I didn’t need them

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the apex hoodie , i ended up pairing it with the mountain pant . I can say i like the hoodie but i do wonder about the desirability of the Merino as a outer layer. But i haven't worn hunting yet so cant help you there. sitka also has a new pant traverse pant pretty light weight.

OP
07jkjeeper

07jkjeeper

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the apex hoodie , i ended up pairing it with the mountain pant . I can say i like the hoodie but i do wonder about the desirability of the Merino as a outer layer. But i haven't worn hunting yet so cant help you there. sitka also has a new pant traverse pant pretty light weight.

Thank you for the info. I going to go ahead and order the Apex gear

renagde

WKR
I got the hoody last summer and used it for whitetail hunting and it was a great piece. This year I added the pants and I'll be using them for September elk. I really like the fit of them. I replaced my mountain pants with the apex pants. The mountains were more stretchy and overall I thought more comfortable because of that. But the apex are lighter and that should translate to cooler so I'm anxious to give them a shot.

OP
07jkjeeper

07jkjeeper

Lil-Rokslider
I got the hoody last summer and used it for whitetail hunting and it was a great piece. This year I added the pants and I'll be using them for September elk. I really like the fit of them. I replaced my mountain pants with the apex pants. The mountains were more stretchy and overall I thought more comfortable because of that. But the apex are lighter and that should translate to cooler so I'm anxious to give them a shot.

Thanks! I ordered the Apex pants and hoody today. Now I just have to wait until September for the first hunt.

Trial153

WKR
Wore the apex hoody for two weeks last September....its a great peice. The temp range is amazing.
I dont like the material for pants however.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love my Apex pants and us it all the time(turkey and September elk hunting mostly) if you run it though make sure you take the knee pads out for hiking and put them back in for stocking. No one told me this and my knees were rubbed raw by the end of a three day hunt three years ago.

OP
07jkjeeper

07jkjeeper

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Apex pants and us it all the time(turkey and September elk hunting mostly) if you run it though make sure you take the knee pads out for hiking and put them back in for stocking. No one told me this and my knees were rubbed raw by the end of a three day hunt three years ago.

Ouch! Good to know. Thank you

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve had the knee pads in 100% of the time in my apex, timberline, mtn pant and ascent pant. I’ve never had any trouble with rubbing from the pads??? Are you sure you had them installed correctly? There is a small sliver of Velcro in there to keep the flap closed. Are you sure it wasn’t the Velcro? Maybe you just didn’t have it closed?

You can’t cheat the mountain

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience Apex pants are perfect for 35-75 active and 45-85 sitting. The apex hoody is warmer than the pants in my opinion unless used as a base layer. AZ and NM in September, depending on the elevation, I believe the core light weight or heavy weight hoody would probably be more temperature appropriate.

I’ve owned the apex Hoody now for about a year. Other then my base layers, I think it was the only other piece I wore every hunt. It’s really a awesome Hoody and perfectly designed for the active hunter. I’m starting to get a little piling on the arms just due to brush busting. But like I said I wore it every hunt. The hood is perfect, just thick enough to keep the mosquitoes off but thin enough to hear. This is a huge win in my books. I’ve debated selling it due to just wanting to try other gear out, but realistically it’s just an awesome piece that just wouldn’t make sense to sell. Highly recommend!

Mitten32

WKR
Anyone hunting in Sitka Apex for early September hunts? Needing some lighter gear for my archery hunt in New Mexico this year just curious what others think of it.

The apex are a great pant. A little less durable though. I’m hunting New Mexico in beginning of september like you and I’m going to run the ascents instead. More breathable and durable but louder than the apex for sure.