Sitka Apex Pants - Post Season Thoughts???

Thinking about adding a pair of these to my line up.

I think I read all the reviews. Curious if there are any post season updates to share on these. They seem like a pretty versatile pant for cool to moderatly cold temps. Weighing these against a pair of mountain pants.

Trial153

WKR
Cool, yes ...cold no. They are slightly lighter and less warm then the mountain pants. hoping they come out with a solid color as i most likely won’t keep the sub alpine that have.

I honestly like the grinders better then the apex and mountain pants.

I wore them all August and September. Good for hot weather, great for cool weather, okayish for cold weather. They are in between the ascent and the mountain pant. They are way too light for anything in the 30's or below IMO. Of course you can put on baselayers, but I instead put on my timberlines.

I wore the Apex Pant all of August and September in CO. Then in January in AZ. I cut the knee pad pockets out, I think they are stupid and they chaffed on my bare knees. Pros are that they are very quiet and breathe exceptionally well. There is not any semblance of water or wind resistance to them, the fabric is waffled to really breathe. If it rains you'll be wet, but they also dry pretty quickly. I too wish they came in a solid color because I prefer not to wear the proprietary camo. I also wore an Apex hoody with them most of the time which I had cut the elbow pad pockets out of. I hate the kangaroo pocket, I almost cut that out, but glad I didn't. I put the heart from my AZ deer in there to keep it clean.

OP
Desk Jockey
So the fabric is waffled and breathes. No water or wind resistance to speak of. Hmmm. Having a hard time squaring that in my mind with the idea that they have a bit of micro fleece. Commenter above places the between the ascent and mountain. I would have thought they would be warmer than mountains with fleece but that was based on the assumption that they were similar in terms of water and wind resistance.

I gotta rethink this. I usually start out in a pair of kuiu tiburon pants in early season and go to FL guides and kuiu attacks by mid season. By late season I haul out timberlines especially for snow. I thought the apex was a more of an insulated mountain paint like the old 90%. From what you are telling me they are on the lighter side of the mountains.

Hmmm. Appreciate the feedback. This sends me in another direction then. Maybe I need to shift my focus to the mountain pants. Thanks

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
So the fabric is waffled and breathes. No water or wind resistance to speak of. Hmmm. Having a hard time squaring that in my mind with the idea that they have a bit of micro fleece. Commenter above places the between the ascent and mountain. I would have thought they would be warmer than mountains with fleece but that was based on the assumption that they were similar in terms of water and wind resistance.

I gotta rethink this. I usually start out in a pair of kuiu tiburon pants in early season and go to FL guides and kuiu attacks by mid season. By late season I haul out timberlines especially for snow. I thought the apex was a more of an insulated mountain paint like the old 90%. From what you are telling me they are on the lighter side of the mountains.

Hmmm. Appreciate the feedback. This sends me in another direction then. Maybe I need to shift my focus to the mountain pants. Thanks

Great pants, I love them, but they are certainly not the old 90% pants, they are heavier than the Ascent pants but not by much, they aren't made to cut the wind and water but they are very breathable and dry quickly. Don't have any experience with the tiburons but they are lighter than the the FL guides, maybe close to the FL Obsidian but I'd say they're maybe even a touch lighter than that.

GPool1842

WKR
Good pants, loved the knee pads. Perfect for high country elk in September with a merino baselayer. I ripped the ass sitting on a sharp rock chasing bear in OK in October. Comfortable pants..

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cool, yes ...cold no. They are slightly lighter and less warm then the mountain pants. hoping they come out with a solid color as i most likely won’t keep the sub alpine that have.

I honestly like the grinders better then the apex and mountain pants.
I think you'll like the Traverse pants. Finally laid hands on them today. I can see myself wearing them more than my Apex, which i'm gonna be selling because I've lost weight lol. Feel like a stretchier material than the older Ascent pants with a streamlined pocket layout and reinforced front pockets for clip knife carry. $149 isn't bad either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you'll like the Traverse pants. Finally laid hands on them today. I can see myself wearing them more than my Apex, which i'm gonna be selling because I've lost weight lol. Feel like a stretchier material than the older Ascent pants with a streamlined pocket layout and reinforced front pockets for clip knife carry. $149 isn't bad either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Traverse pants?

OP
Desk Jockey
Ok. You guys walked me off the apex. Leaning toward mountain pants but open to something new and curious about the traverse pants.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Curious about those Traverse pants. About to pull the trigger on a set of mountain pants in solid color, wonder about these Traverse pants, but can't find anything about them online.