Sitka back forty pants?

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Was looking for some stretch dwr pants but are those types not suitable for town wearing in winter? Are they too cold? I came across the back forty pant from Sitka that 47 % cotton 37 spandex 16% cordura. Would those be better? I wear shorts most of the summer but need pants sometimes too. But I need the pants also to be viable in winter time as well so that's why I was wondering if pants like prana Zion, corrugate guides or the nylon spandex types are too cold just to wear while running errands or shopping in town during winter

Fleetwood

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak to the Sitka back fortys, but the Prana Zion's are probably too light for winter wear. I swear by Kuhl. <--- check em out. I love the Free Ryder and Free Generatrs. Just the right amount of stretch and super functional.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Will the kuhls fit over boots? Like Wellington style boots? I wear those alot

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have the Back Forty pants and love them, but if you are looking specifically for a winter pant they aren’t the best choice. They are about the thickness of the Prana Zions. I wear them around town below freezing all the time running errands and whatnot, but if I’m doing outdoor activities they are a bad choice.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
So what's the difference really between them and the Zion? I know different blend of materials but why vs the zions

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
So what's the difference really between them and the Zion? I know different blend of materials but why vs the zions

What are you using them for? The Sitka Grinders, Hangar and Dakota pants are a bit thicker and warmer than the back40. Black Ovis midweights are streticher/comfier than the B40 IMO as well.

Back40's are probably a little more durable than all except maybe the hangars

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Running around in town and some light trail walking in cooler weather. I didn't know how they would compare to the terrify pants or Zion pants. Are the b40 dwr coated?

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Running around in town and some light trail walking in cooler weather. I didn't know how they would compare to the terrify pants or Zion pants. Are the b40 dwr coated?

I don't know, I have not gotten my hands on a pair of them. Territories are pretty light, I prefer my black ovis midweights over the territories. UA has some storm pants that are comfy for that as well.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I don’t think they are DWR coated. Don’t think that would be necessary for running around town though. They will dry quickly if that matters. Basically they are nice looking “dress” hiking pants. I have several pairs of Pranas, and I much prefer the look of the Sitkas, on me anyway (I have large thighs and calves with a slim waist). Your legs may be different. The zions are looser on the thighs and have a bigger opening on the bottom. The Sitkas are more like a modern cut pant with some hiking/hunting features (like the knife pocket).