Sitka Blacktail hunt PWS booked! Whittier marine charters

Wapiti151

WKR
Afternoon!
Moving to Anchorage in a couple weeks, and I’ve booked a transporter, live on the boat hunt with Whittier Marine Charters for Oct 24th-ish. Plan to get two tags, and hopefully fill them both to start filling the freezer. I will still be a non resident, and figured this will be a good way to dip my toes into Alaska hunting before I hit it really hard next year. Thinking I’ll want to do a 4 day hunt give or take. Question is, has anyone hunted with Matt out of the PWS before, he sounds great and the reviews I have found have been nothing but positive. Also, anything specific that I should know or prepare from that is not readily available on forums or other resources? Is oct too late to hope for a black bear as well…and lastly, I am currently solo on this hunt and would love to find a good partner to hunt with. Hunting Alaska my first year solo even on a live on the boat hunt doesn’t necessarily make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Lol

thanks all!

Last edited:
You won't see much for deer, but you'll survive. I hope that you have fun and I hope the weather is good for you. Might see a bear, buy one bear tag ($450) and one deer tag ($300), that way you can shoot a bear if you see one and if you don't, you can use the bear tag on a deer. Ensure you have harvest tickets for 2 deer and 1 bear though... Good luck!

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
You won't see much for deer, but you'll survive. I hope that you have fun and I hope the weather is good for you. Might see a bear, buy one bear tag ($450) and one deer tag ($300), that way you can shoot a bear if you see one and if you don't, you can use the bear tag on a deer. Ensure you have harvest tickets for 2 deer and 1 bear though... Good luck!
That’s a great idea, I hadn’t even thought of that option…totally forgot the higher value tags can be used for other species of lesser tag value. Thank you for the idea!