Sitka Blizzard Parka Review, by Matt Wymer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide prostaffer Matt Wymer recently tested this parka in Alaska's backcountry. If you need a really warm parka, you can see how it performed here.

Matt also touches on other pieces of the Blizzard and Sitka line.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/clothing/378-the-sitka-blizzard-line-review

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly has to fit the budget to justify the cost, but if it does and you need a warm parka...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
$699?!?!??! Uh, I guess I'll buy when I hit the lottery. What a joke.
You can say that about a lot of gear. : )
Sitka designs gear for specific uses. IF the use fits, its a pretty darn good solution. I think they recognize its a subset target market and are ok with that. Its an unique piece of gear designed for a targeted use. It was requested by, and designed for, horseback hunters. Long days, little physical exertion, cold / nasty weather.

I found it works great when hunting in cold weather, out of a base camp. A budget hunter could mimic the set up with a good puffy jacket and a soft shell or rain shell. It just really depends on your budget and hunting style as to how you want to go. The unique aspect of the Blizzard is the pocket configuration and overall design. Its simply designed for use, by a hunter, in cold weather.

My motto with gear is always catch a sale. You can occasionally find good sales that get you ~20% off. Still expensive, but certainly helps.

I know this an old thread, but I am looking at a new Jacket. How is the exterior fabric as far as noise? I have read that it is really noisy on the Blizzard Parka. Do you think it would be too noisy for rifle Elk hunting in Colorado? If so, what would you recommend that would be comparable but quieter?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The Blizzard has the same exterior as the Colfront Raingear; it is fairly quiet for raingear and I wouldn’t have a problem rifle hunting anything in it. A quieter option would be the Incinerator line on the whitetail side; you still have a heavily insulated triple layer Gore tex jacket/bib but there is an extra brushed layer on the outside and that quiets things down a ton. The Incinerator has the same outer surface as the Downpour and Thunderhead raingear. I’ve got all those pieces except the Blizzard but have looked at it quite a bit in stores and shows.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is Matt, I wrote the original review. Steve O summed it up, pretty well. It feels very similar to the Coldfront, so decently quiet for Raingear. BUT... Its a warm jacket. You don't want to put out much energy using it. If you are sitting and glassing I think it would be plenty quiet. If stalking it would behave similar to most rain gear.

Repeating myself a bit here, but from what I gathered from Sitka during the review process, the Blizzard was designed with the horseback hunter in mind. Its perfect for the non active hunter when its freaking cold out and one wants/needs a dry, warm, windproof layer. The hunt I where used it the most was an Alaskan moose / caribou trip where we utilized side by sides to get deep, and hunted via a base camp. Short trips to glassing spots, etc. I would not have wanted to hike much in the Blizzard.

IMHO an active Elk Hunter in cold, wet conditions might be better served utilizing the Coldfront, sized so that a good puffy can be worn under it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gar
Thanks Steve O and High Country. I had the Coldfront, and froze my butt off even with base and mid layer Merino including a First Lite Chama.
I finished my hunt with an old Browning Quad Parka that I brought along (just in case). I was so disappointed with it (Coldfront) that I sold it.
I was looking at the Incinerator, but the elevated camo pattern is different from all of the other Sitka I have that is Open Country.
I would have already ordered the Blizzard in Open Country, but was too concerned about the noisy exterior. I don't want my guide giving me the "rolling of the eyes" because of the noise.
PS- Kudos to you both for an excellent review !!

KurtR

WKR
The incinerator is quiet and warm it does not match all my other oc camo but the deer didn't care much this year. I stayed warm they died it worked out good.

Kurt, would it be too much trouble to post a photo of your incinerator next to some pants with oc camo? I tried printing pics from sitka of the two, but they don't do either camo pattern justice, they kinda blob out. Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks Steve O and High Country. I had the Coldfront, and froze my butt off even with base and mid layer Merino including a First Lite Chama.
I finished my hunt with an old Browning Quad Parka that I brought along (just in case). I was so disappointed with it (Coldfront) that I sold it.
I was looking at the Incinerator, but the elevated camo pattern is different from all of the other Sitka I have that is Open Country.
I would have already ordered the Blizzard in Open Country, but was too concerned about the noisy exterior. I don't want my guide giving me the "rolling of the eyes" because of the noise.
PS- Kudos to you both for an excellent review !!
I know this is an old thread, but what jacket did you end up with? Also, you did realize the Coldfront wasn't designed as an insulation piece, but instead a waterproof shell. It only has the fleece lining in it to keep it from feeling clammy like most shells do when you sweat in them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Blizzard is not that loud, if that is your worry. As time comes by I realize the design intent is specific to a mounted use (either horseback, ATV, or sitting). The Coldfront is better tailored to activity, especially when paired with a good puffy. It is warmer than a standard shell, but as mentioned not what I would call an insulated piece. Both are great pieces when proper utilized. Hope that helps.

I know this is an old thread, but what jacket did you end up with? Also, you did realize the Coldfront wasn't designed as an insulation piece, but instead a waterproof shell. It only has the fleece lining in it to keep it from feeling clammy like most shells do when you sweat in them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, I was aware the Coldfront wasn't going to be an insulated piece for extreme cold, but it was even lighter than I expected. I layered under it with a base, then merino, then a first lite Chama shirt under a Cabelas Microtex shirt.
I ended up getting the Sitka Blizzard Parka right after I posted on this thread last November. I hunted in the snow at about 10000' with it, and it kept me warm, no problem. We walked a ways, then sat a while, and it kept me comfortable. I am extremely happy with the Blizzard Parka. It was definitely quiet enough for my type of hunting (rifle). I really don't think it would be too loud for bow hunting either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gar
The Blizzard is not that loud, if that is your worry. As time comes by I realize the design intent is specific to a mounted use (either horseback, ATV, or sitting). The Coldfront is better tailored to activity, especially when paired with a good puffy. It is warmer than a standard shell, but as mentioned not what I would call an insulated piece. Both are great pieces when proper utilized. Hope that helps.

Thanks high country. I tried to do both quotes (you and sneaky) but it didn't work.

I have eyeing this piece of jacket after running cold during a late season rifle hunt. I was sitting on a ridge at 9,000 feet at 23 degrees and winds between 5-10. Burr. I had about 4 layers of base layers, a Kelvin Vest, Kelvin Lite jacket, Cloudburst jacket, and then the Kelvin Down Hoody, medium base layer bottoms with Timberline pants, dew point pant covers and STILL cold. I really wish I had a set of this stuff for those couple of days. I get that this must be for a very specific use, but when I was cold like that, the price would not seem that much, I am sure. I await the next sale to get one for certain.

I could also imagine predator hunting, Coyote especially. With the coming snows, this jacket may get some use for me.

Thank you for the review OP, it was very helpful, especially the sizing discussion. I have learned with Sitka, go with your usual size and don't change it up, the boys are Sitka have already got it figured out.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have eyeing this piece of jacket after running cold during a late season rifle hunt. I was sitting on a ridge at 9,000 feet at 23 degrees and winds between 5-10. Burr. I had about 4 layers of base layers, a Kelvin Vest, Kelvin Lite jacket, Cloudburst jacket, and then the Kelvin Down Hoody, medium base layer bottoms with Timberline pants, dew point pant covers and STILL cold. I really wish I had a set of this stuff for those couple of days. I get that this must be for a very specific use, but when I was cold like that, the price would not seem that much, I am sure. I await the next sale to get one for certain.

I could also imagine predator hunting, Coyote especially. With the coming snows, this jacket may get some use for me.

Thank you for the review OP, it was very helpful, especially the sizing discussion. I have learned with Sitka, go with your usual size and don't change it up, the boys are Sitka have already got it figured out.
The challenge you might have is that Sitka is always changing their gear. This review was for the 2015 Generation, Sitka has more than likely made a few changes since then. I have not seen the newest version so please keep that in mind if you end up with a version that seems different. : ) For example, a quick look at the specs has me believing they changed up the insulation type. It is certainly a warm jacket, can't imagine the new one is any different!

f16jack

WKR
In your review you state that "This is my fault as I ordered my parka in a size large. In retrospect, I should have stayed with a size medium." What is your height/weight and normal jacket size (42, etc)? That would help me decide on a correct fit. I'm 5' 10" and 175#. 42R. Thanks.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your review you state that "This is my fault as I ordered my parka in a size large. In retrospect, I should have stayed with a size medium." What is your height/weight and normal jacket size (42, etc)? That would help me decide on a correct fit. I'm 5' 10" and 175#. 42R. Thanks.
5'11' - 165lbs. But, 5 years have gone by and there is a chance Sitka may changed the sizing a bit as they updated that jacket. Best bet is to call Sitka direct, they will have the latest insight into size changes and steer ya straight. Thanks!

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
5'11' - 165lbs. But, 5 years have gone by and there is a chance Sitka may changed the sizing a bit as they updated that jacket. Best bet is to call Sitka direct, they will have the latest insight into size changes and steer ya straight. Thanks!
Just found this and very new to forum. I upsized my Fanatic Jacket to XL to fit 2 base layer and Celsius Midi under it and not be restricted on my chest. I am 44.5" chest so at the limit of Large. Would you say it fits more true to size with just base layers? Before I drop a ton of cash and have major issues returning items out of Canada I would love to get proper sizing. Everything else Sitka I own is Large or LT

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd hate to steer you wrong, by making a size recommendation. The model I tested is a generation or two back, I'm not familiar with the newer model. I still think calling Sitka is your best bet. Sorry I can't be more helpful.