Sitka Camo Pattern For Elk

Muff74b

FNG
I’m going on an elk hunting trip in Idaho this fall and was wondering what the best Sitka camo pattern is? I’m assuming subalpine or open country. What does everyone else use?

Scoot

WKR
Unclemoe nailed it! But the one that you think looks best. I like subalpine, but I don't think it makes one bit of difference- I just like the look of it.

BluMtn

WKR
Come on guys, he is asking for help. Wear whatever doesn't make your rearend look big. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

In all honesty, camo is for staying out of sight from your fellow hunters. If you break up your profile it doesn't really matter what pattern you wear, so long as you are warm and comfortable the elk don't care.

I went with the sub alpine because I can use it here in the mid west for early season bow hunting and also in the spring for turkeys. It seems to blend good when things a still a bit green.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not one answer is correct, but that's internet for you. Idaho has a huge difference. You said archery correct? timber? Then it would be Subalpine. If you were looking at engagement beyond 75 yards it would be open country usually.

Scoot

WKR
Les, you sure sound confident that we are wrong in saying the pattern doesn't matter. I will admit "doesn't matter one bit" is stronger than my real opinion. My real belief is that in most situations it accounts for about 10% of anything that actually matters. There are a dozen or more other things more important in determining the outcome IMO.

Les, if we're wrong, feel free to speak as to why we're wrong. Camo companies have done a fabulous job of intentionally misinterpreting the "science of vision" of game animals, but in the end that bs is almost entirely marketing and very, very little science (maybe about that same 10%!) :)

fatlander

WKR
I’ve killed all sorts of game wearing solids, including wild turkeys. Elk definitely don’t seem to mind my hodgepodge of solids, subalpine, elevated 2, open country, elevated forest, cipher, fusion, vias or verde. Most days I’m wearing solid pants with some type of camouflage top. I’ve never been busted and said “darn, that subalpine was the reason.” Anytime I get busted, it’s always me moving at the wrong time, set up with not back cover, or the wind. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Les, you sure sound confident that we are wrong in saying the pattern doesn't matter. I will admit "doesn't matter one bit" is stronger than my real opinion. My real belief is that in most situations it accounts for about 10% of anything that actually matters. There are a dozen or more other things more important in determining the outcome IMO.

Les, if we're wrong, feel free to speak as to why we're wrong. Camo companies have done a fabulous job of intentionally misinterpreting the "science of vision" of game animals, but in the end that bs is almost entirely marketing and very, very little science (maybe about that same 10%!) :)
Ungulates have eyes that work based off of movement. Even more specifically on a horizontal plane. And they only see in mostly black and white with some shades of IIRC blue, could be wrong kn that part. Not like our eyes or other predators where they can focus on specific things and identify what they are. They can move through the woods and catch movement that way. It's a very simple explanation to a more complex description but thats the general difference.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
Marble, maybe I'm missing your point, but 1) everything you said is consistent with my understanding of ungulate vision, 2) it's also consistent with my experience, and 3) I think it supports my point, not refutes it.

Maybe that's what you were getting at (or maybe I missed your point).

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I like Open Country and Sub-Alpine. I hunt only public land and most of these areas receive heavy hunter pressure.
From my experience in archery, camo works period.
Recall back when I wore Woolrich pants, shirt and/or jacket. Green, gray colors.
Elk would come along the trails, stop and stare at me. I hadn't moved an inch and wind, sunlight was in my favor. Deer would look my direction, stop, sometimes approach and stomp their feet. Often both would move off, allowing me to move & draw. Sometimes they moved off too quickly for a shot, being on alert.

my first use of Open Country was in timber. Lots gray trees and ponderosas too. Group elk came down trail, closer...closer....closer. Lead cow stopped and looked my way but only for a moment. My eyes were focused downward, looking at elk from under hat brim. Then lead cow looked off. As if she looked right thru me and no reaction from her or the other cows, calves. 14 elk total.
Finally all walked by me single file on the trail, <10' away from my position off trail!!
then past me they got my wind, hair went up on lead cow's back and off they went like a freight train thru the timber.

the 2020 AZ OTC buck in my avatar, spotted me 3 days earlier. I had on my Open Country having hunted the desert earlier that day. Buck came out on the trail from thick manzanita brush 100 yard away, stopped at field's edge and instantly looked my way. Stared at me for several minutes, then cowered, snuck back into the brush. Only to come out again 400 yards away on another trail. Wind, sun was in my favor. I was sitting with my back against the brush but not blending well. During next few days, switched clothes to the Sub Alpine camo. It blended better with my brushy background. Buck came out on same trail, never looked my way and started my direction. Buck stopped, turned broadside to go toward some does away from my position.
At that point, I sent an arrow at 67 yards. Buck sprinted 50 yards. Down on the ground, expired and all in less than 30 seconds after arrow release.

These are just 2 of many observations of my experience with camo. Bottom line, I believe the right camo helps. Taken many deer & elk that I think the outcome would have been different without camo.

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
I always get a kick out of such answers....the OP asked what pattern and he gets the 'you dont need it crowd'....that isn't what he asked, so maybe some reading comprehension issues on the board. That being said, it will vary due the major terrain, elevation and vegetation changes in ID. Also, early season/late season? I have tried to maximize camo choices and usually buy the sub-alpine or timber pattern for dual use in turkey season. I will also agree, as mentioned, layering system is key if you are in for a late season hunt. Best of luck to the OP!

SIR_34:16

FNG
Until doctors figure out how to successfully transplant a cervid's eye into a human, we may never know for sure exactly what a deer/elk sees. All I can go by is past experiences. I was still hunting for black bear one year wearing brush pants, a field jacket, and solid orange vest. I saw a deer coming and froze. Wind was in my favor and she walked within 5 yards and never knew I was there. I've had similar experiences while being in camo. However, I've also been in full camo 16 feet up a tree and sometimes the animals pick me out and sometimes not. Same tree, same pattern, no movement. All I can assume is it comes down to lighting conditions and your background regardless of what you're wearing. All that being said, camo makes me FEEL better and makes me think I have SOME control over the situation!

Nitsua

FNG
For lightweight layers, save some money and get a cheaper merino/synthetic blend base layer and throw a lightweight sitka core hoody over the top of it in subalpine. Camo layered underneath more camo doesn’t do you any good. For shells and bigger jackets, get open country.

During early season/ September subalpine blends in better, and the two aforementioned layers are all you’ll need 90% of the time.

October/November are when you’ll need a heavier jacket and open country blends in better through this period.

As far as pants go, I normally just wear lighter earth tones. They’re typically cheaper and your legs are often covered by brush anyhow.