Sitka Camo Pattern For Elk

Sled

WKR
i'm holding out for sitka's new flannel line coming in spring of 2022. it'll even give elmer fudd a leg up on his next hunt for that wascsally wabbit.

I’m going on an elk hunting trip in Idaho this fall and was wondering what the best Sitka camo pattern is? I’m assuming subalpine or open country. What does everyone else use?
Staying comfortable and quiet is the biggest. Subalpine for me.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
No right answer here as many have said. I am a Sitka fanboy for different reasons. Fit, layering ability, quality of build etc. I have both open country and subalpine. Sitka and a few others just make really good quality clothes.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, you can either believe the research that has been done or not. I chose to believe it and have had many many positive experiences wearing my SubAlpine being stickbow close with elk. I find it extremely effective with the main objective Of being very comfortable in just about all field conditions.

This has a lot of good information on Optifade and how it was developed and how it works:

Optifade Information

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I archery hunt and my buddy has the open country. I cannot see him when he just sits there. I think it is about the best camo out there. But I bought the sub- alpine. One, because I don't want my buddy to think I wanna be like him. Two, it has more green vs grey so it would be more realistic in the early season archery hunts. 3, it would also work for early season spring bear and turkey.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have Subalpine, OC and Elevated depending on what I’m hunting and where. Subalpine seems to get the most use, spring turkey, early archery out west and early whitetail in Illinois. OC for spring bear out west, late elk and some whitetail. Elevated when it’s a cold tree stand sit.
If I was in your position, I’d go with Subalpine layers.
You’ll catch a lot of crap from haters, Sitka’s not worth the money. Most of the guys I’ve heard say that never owned any. When the temperature drops, the rain starts and you’re still 3 miles from camp, you’ll figure out that it’s worth it. Remember, it’s a system.

Scoot

WKR
Well, you can either believe the research that has been done or not. I chose to believe it and have had many many positive experiences wearing my SubAlpine being stickbow close with elk. I find it extremely effective with the main objective Of being very comfortable in just about all field conditions.

This has a lot of good information on Optifade and how it was developed and how it works:

Optifade Information
The research you're referring to is marketing, not research. I make a living doing research and I know what research looks like. I also know what marketing guised as research looks like and that is exactly what that is.

LightFoot

WKR
The research you're referring to is marketing, not research. I make a living doing research and I know what research looks like. I also know what marketing guised as research looks like and that is exactly what that is.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Don't have much concern regarding the camo patterns, ungulate theory, or the so called marketing ploys. Don't care if guys buy in solids, open country, subalpine or whatever color. Whether it's Sitka, Kuiu its just better built, warmer, lighter, rain and windproof. Quality built clothing lets me stay on the mountain longer, period.

I don't think it matters as much as we think.
Minimize movement and keep the wind in your face.
I have had FL and I currently use Sitka.
Both are quality products.
I buy them for their layering system and breathability.
FWIW.

I’m going on an elk hunting trip in Idaho this fall and was wondering what the best Sitka camo pattern is? I’m assuming subalpine or open country. What does everyone else use?
Movement and wind are SOOO much more crucial than a camo pattern. I wear plain colored pants and shirts regularly bow hunting and have no issues inside of 20 yards as long as wind holds up and I control my movements..... second part can be difficult when mack daddy walks out haha

TSAMP

WKR
Well I've exhaustively researched people's idea of researching research and my research concludes that the research is you will know which guys "run" solids because they will tell you,repeatedly.

Reactions: j33

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I would use whatever Sitka pattern breaks your outline best. That’s why I always liked Predator or ASAT. Still holding onto my First lite ASAT shirts but use a Sitka vest on chilly mornings. Sitka hats , a thin face mask and Kuiu thin gloves cap off the extremities. Mismatched everything is part of my strategy.

I don’t ever wear camo pants anymore because I get decent stuff and want to wear them outside of hunting endeavors.3C52C5D8-2B95-49F3-86B6-EF3F279F5233.jpeg

If Sitka were my choice, subalpine would be the choice whether in black timber, quakies, or hunting open country. However I have went with camo that is 100% Made in America in multi cam. No mas made in china camo for me.

Last edited:
If Sitka were my choice, subalpine would be the choice whether in black timber, quakes, or hunting open country. However I have went with camo that is 100% Made in America in multi cam. No mas made in china camo for me.
What brand is it? I'd like to switch to American made if it's quality

What brand is it? I'd like to switch to American made if it's quality
I’ve got several pieces from XGO currently. I have base layers, a couple shirts, a vest and a pull on hoodie. All in multi cam accept the base layers which are in desert sand I believe they call it. All I did was a search for American made camouflage. There are several other companies I’m looking at.

I use subalpine for archery elk in Colorado. It works great. Also, Kuiu Verde is an awesome choice for early season hunts. Just depends on your budget and availability of product. I have the Kuiu verde pack and am considering alternating Sitka and Kuiu camo.

Hondo

WKR
I think it is safe to say that the importance of camo when hunting is often overstated as well as understated. We hunters continue to argue about it, mostly during the off-season, and it will never be resolved because it just can't be proven, one way or the other, to anyone's satisfaction.

We all have our own unique experiences to draw our own conclusions. Me, I love the stuff as well as solids and I think camo helps sometimes more than it does at other times. I do know that quality gear adds to my enjoyment of hunting and that is good enough for me. So after lapping up all this awesome gear I'm now running 8 different camo patterns (not all at once. that would make my head explode) because I'm having a hard time culling the herd. Now when it comes to camo underpants. That never made a lick of sense to even a gear whore like me.

To answer the OP's question. I would take Open Country and Subalpine mostly because I would have a hard time leaving one behind.