Sitka claim to fame?

Ucsdryder

WKR
All hunting gear is expensive, but it seems like Sitka is always pushing the envelope when it comes to pricing. They also seem to have the most sponsors and most touch points (podcasts, advertising, etc).

What’s their claim to fame regarding pricing? By this I mean, how do they justify it? For example, Kifaru pushes the envelope regarding price, but they talk a lot about being American made and using the best materials money can buy, bar none. I can buy into that, then they back is up with amazing customer service if you have issues.

Sitka outsources across seas and based on the last Sitka durability post I saw on here, they don’t bend over backward to stand by their product.

Does their gear really cost that much to build?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Oh and before anybody gets too upset, I have a piece or 2, including a set of rain gear from Sitka.

Jimss

WKR
Sitka was the first company to come out with quality, breathable, camo, waterproof clothing. Their raingear even had lifetime warrantees. I've used and abused my same Sitka raingear for the past 10+ years. Sitka was also on the cutting edge of camo layering. I'm pretty sure they were one of the first companies to manufacture camo base layers. Kuiu and other companies soon followed suite.

My raingear may have a few holes but still work as well as they did when I first bought them. I've never had a problem with Sitka not lasting and I beat it up pretty bad.

In regard to pricing.....usually you pay for what you get. If Sitka and Kuiu doesn't provide quality clothing they would likely be out of business in a hurry. When Sitka first came out with durable and breathable waterproof raingear they were the only company that did this....in camo. At the time they were the only breathable raingear available and could ask what ever price they wanted. I have hardly ever bought a piece of Sitka or Kuiu clothing that wasn't on sale. In fact, thanks to the internet just about every item I buy is close to 1/2 off.

I guess time will tell if Sitka, Kuiu, and other companies can continue getting high dollar for their clothes and equipment. More and more new companies seem to be coming out each year. Supply and demand may also play a role in pricing. Obviously if Sitka doesn't produce quality gear they will likely go out of business in a hurry.

Big fan of sitka. I personally think they have the most thoughtful and well executed designs of the brands I have used - FL, kuiu, UA, cabelas. Goretex - sitka parent - has always maintained a “premium” position in the outdoor industry even though arguably there are now fabrics that equal or exceed its performance.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I personally think that their gear is among the best, if not the best at being well thought out, super comfortable and durable enough. I also understand that with higher end camo comes the trade off of durability. I used to be the guy that wore cheaper camo because it was good enough and honestly could not justify the cost of Kuiu, Sitka or FL. After wearing some of the higher end camo, I changed my opinion.

Jimss

WKR
Although I am a fan of Sitka I'm still willing to try other brands. For example, I have long legs and Sitkas tend to sag in the crotch area for me. I tried Kuiu pants and they fit is 100% better. I also tried Kuiu Tebrurons since I do a lot of early season scouting/hunting. They tend to breath better than most of the Sitka's I've tried.

Another example of great value which is super tough, dries fast, quiet cloth, etc is Cabelas micro-fleece. I've used and abused their heavier line of micro-fleece shirts and they are my go-to shirts during mid to late season. I don't like the micro-fleece pants because the giant cargo pockets are in front of the pant....at least the old models.

One last example would be Marmot Precip raingear. I've had just as good of luck with MP as Sitka and they are available for around $50 online!

It pays to shop around!

LJ Buck

WKR
It is the best all around gear, offers the most variety of systems, last forever, they have great customer service, they do stand by everything they make but when someone has a unreal expectations of a piece of gear or durability and complain they seem very transparent about that in their response.

People buy gear that pushes the envelope on breathability and performance and expect it to be as durable and Carhart bibs. Also don’t forget they are backed by GORE so they will do what they want when they want. No other brand in the hunting industry has the ability to do what Sitka does because of who owns them.

Mt Al

WKR
Premium fabrics/materials, superior design and "make". Make is what's referred to as the complexity of the individual pieces and labor time for garments. For Sitka they don't compromise as much on make, everyone compromises somewhat. If a hood needs more channels for cords, a more complex cuff or pocket, Sitka does it. The fabrics are killer vs. whatever a vendor has available. Plus, not sure on this, it seems like they offer more true sizing vs. S, M, L, XL, etc.. Designing and carrying inventory on more sizes costs a pile.

IMHO, they charge what they need to charge for what they're offering. Others with simpler designs, fewer "detail" features, etc, can charge less.

I have a few Sitka pieces and really like them. Just like packs though, we hunters are spoiled rotten, which is awesome. So many good brands, UA, FL, Kuiu, Cabelas and many others.

The purpose of Sitka is to move Gore fabric, plain and simple. Seems like they're doing it pretty well.

Poser

WKR
They were the first company in the high end hunting clothes game. In the 70s, Led Zeppelin was touring the world on a plane that was nicer than Air Force One and Arguably with better and tighter security than Nixon experienced as president. They lived more indulgent lifestyles than money can actually buy. I’d say from the perspective of Sitka, “they make the rules.” Mossy Oak is Chuck Berry, Sitka is Led Zeppelin. Some of these new brands popping up are Greeta Van Fleet

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I just sent in a pair of cloudburst rain pants I put holes in sliding down a rock face, and they are sending me a brand new pair at no charge. I don’t mind paying the premium for customer service like that. As far as their pricing goes anything with premium gore-Tex in it is usually pretty spendy like Simms waders, and arcteryx to name a few brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excaliber

WKR
I think Sitka makes the best gear. First lite probably makes better itchy stuff but I really like the Sitka synthetic base layers.
Quality costs money. I never buy Sitka at full retail so price isn't an issue for me. I like quality gear and Sitka has that corner of the market. None of the big 3 sell inexpensive clothing.

I haven't followed up on that post you were talking about but anything will wear if it's being rubbed on like that jacket

I like some of their stuff but feel like it's overpriced, should be made in the USA,
And they haven't really made any thing Patagonia didn't come out with 1st. I have had great luck with the core heavy weight hoody. But my timberline pants are falling apart after maybe 30 days in the field which is unacceptable for the price

Forest

WKR
I have and have tried most of the top brands and my sitka pieces are generally what stays in my closet and the rest go down the road. By no means do I think it's worth msrp, but it is worth what I pay for it. With that said, I have some clothes that I have paid a fraction of the price and like them just as much. I have some wrangler hiking pants that I paid less than $20 and are awesome esp for the price.

Honestly, I would be willing to pay 20 percent more for Sitka if it was made in the USA. Hunters have never had it better for choices though. Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite all produce great gear.

I’m not loyal to any of them but if one decided to be USA made then I would become loyal.

Terrapin

WKR
Sitka charges a lot of money for their gear because they can... we’ll buy it because of the perceived quality, fashion and effective marketing. It goes on sale at retailers for deep discounts because they can... generous markup, controlled by MAP pricing.

I’m not a leg humper, but generally if I buy clothing from Sitka or Kuiu, I can be assured that it will be thoroughly researched, well designed by the best in the industry, and use the best materials available. For these reasons, I can assume that it will meet or exceed my expectations in the field.

On certain things, I would rather work more hours, earn more money and buy the perceived highest quality. That way I’m not spending my precious time outdoors second guessing my gear selection. Clothes, boots, optics, trucks and tents are five categories that jump to mind. Other areas, I don’t bother and use whatever will get the job done... People’s priorities are different, and people’s discretionary income is different.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I just wish I were a smaller guy, because even from Sitka direct the sizes that don’t sell can be found dirt cheap.

tdot

WKR
Out of curiosity. Why is Sitka overpriced? Is this in comparison to Arcteryx, Patagucci, etc.? Or in comparison to Browning cotton camo print t-shirts at Cabelas & Walmart?

I finally sent in a 20 year old Goretex jacket/pant to Arcteryx 2 years ago. It was warrantied and replaced with a new set. Any of my newer Goretex seems to last 4-7 years before the Goretex warranty replaces it.

If you can deal with Goretex's shortcomings. It is the ultimate Buy Once, Cry Once, that keeps on giving.