Sitka claim to fame?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
How did we ever get any hunting done before these overpriced hunting apparel companies showed up?

Oh we got it done but we were very uncomfortable and miserable doing it. Thank you Sitka Gear for changing all that. I will never climb a mountain in a pair of wool pants again. I do this stuff for fun and I am so happy to have been doing it for the last 10 years much more so than the first 30!

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity. Why is Sitka overpriced?

Come on...

Sitka Mountain Pants: $199
First Lite Corrugate Guide: $135
Kuiu Kutana Pants: $149
Kryptek Tora Pants: $180

Sitka Heavyweight Hoody: $149
First Lite Klamath Hoody: $135
Kuiu Strongfleece 260: $149
Kryptek Arma Hoodie: $102

Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody: $249
First Lite Umcomphagre: $190
Kuiu Superdown Ultra: $299
Kryptek Ghar: $180

Obviously, you could argue quality and features of any of these items, but Sitka is almost always the most expensive of the big brands when viewed by product category, often by a large margin. Asking why someone might question the pricing of Sitka is naive at best.

KurtR

WKR
Come on...

Obviously, you could argue quality and features of any of these items, but Sitka is almost always the most expensive of the big brands when viewed by product category, often by a large margin. Asking why someone might question the pricing of Sitka is naive at best.

Well then they should have a whole ware house full of stuff if the consumer would feel it is over priced..... just looking at retail price of pieces that kinda compare is naive at best. Overpriced is so subjective to guy making 80000 a year maybe to a guy making 500000 not so much

excaliber

WKR
Do you buy all your hunting clothing at full retail pricing? If so I can see why you think every brand noted below is expensive.

Come on...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost all good outdoor clothing is overpriced, Sitka certainly isn't the only company that puts a high dollar on their clothing

I've never saw much of a point of being too much of a fan of anyone brand exclusively. I think it behooves everyone to explore all options when you're deciding on what to purchase and what role you want that piece to fill. That means pouring over reviews, having a good understanding fabrics and realizing that there may be multiple solutions (options) to fill that need.

Sitka does make some really good pieces and I own a few. So does Kuiu and I own a few of theirs. So does Arcteryx, Patagonia and Outdoor Research to name just a few more. I think it would be foolish to invest completely in one brand and one brand only. Simply too many good options.

Never (never) pay full retail for any (save an emergency) piece- wait for sales, look for discount codes, inquire about pro/first responder/military programs and check the classified section here for lightly used pieces (at significant savings).

tdot

WKR
Please explain Gote-Tex's shortcomings.

I personally dont feel it breathes as well as other offerings out there. Nor is it as waterproof.

I also find it to be stiffer and as a result naturally louder then other membrane fabrics.

It sucks in boots.

I know some people hold it as the absolute pinnacle of outdoor wear and I'm stoked that it works for them. It worked for me for along time too.

My personal experiences with Goretex goes back 30 years and it was truly game changing. But now I find there are often comparable or better products.

But I still ski and ski tour in Arcteryx gear that is 100% Goretex. I find that well below freezing it works well enough for my needs and I like Arcteryx as a company and their products..... and I buy all of their products at their factory store for half price.

tdot

WKR
Come on...

Woah, settle down Cowboy. Saying I'm "naive, at best" is not necessary.

I was simply asking why people find it overpriced. Everyone will have a different answer for that. Everyone has a different definition of value. I dont force mine upon others, so I simply ask why.

I can list multiple jackets that are more expensive then Sitka jackets. I can also list many that are cheaper. But that single metric does not define why something is over priced or not.

sneaky

"DADDY"
All hunting gear is expensive, but it seems like Sitka is always pushing the envelope when it comes to pricing. They also seem to have the most sponsors and most touch points (podcasts, advertising, etc).

What’s their claim to fame regarding pricing? By this I mean, how do they justify it? For example, Kifaru pushes the envelope regarding price, but they talk a lot about being American made and using the best materials money can buy, bar none. I can buy into that, then they back is up with amazing customer service if you have issues.

Sitka outsources across seas and based on the last Sitka durability post I saw on here, they don’t bend over backward to stand by their product.

Does their gear really cost that much to build?
You read one post where the guy wasn't totally open with Sitka about what he had on his belt causing the wear on a jacket and all of a sudden it's junk? That's laughable at best.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like some of their stuff but feel like it's overpriced, should be made in the USA,
And they haven't really made any thing Patagonia didn't come out with 1st. I have had great luck with the core heavy weight hoody. But my timberline pants are falling apart after maybe 30 days in the field which is unacceptable for the price
Send the pants in and get them exchanged, pretty simple. Beyond Clothing is made in the US. Check their prices before you complain about Sitkas.

Send the pants in and get them exchanged, pretty simple. Beyond Clothing is made in the US. Check their prices before you complain about Sitkas.

I did and they had me send them and get repaired now I have loose threads coming out in lots of other places. My point is that I buy Wrangler work wear and wear it every day for 2 years as a builder before I wear them out for a 1/4 of the cost. For the price tag the stuff isn't very durable. Feathered friends is made in the USA and is the same price as the hunting brands

sneaky

"DADDY"
Come on...

There are better direct comparisons to be made. Not sure Mtn pants/Kutana pants is apples to apples. Remember when KUIU said they were going to be 100% made in North America, then moved overseas at the same prices? Pepperidge Farm remembers

sneaky

"DADDY"
I did and they had me send them and get repaired now I have loose threads coming out in lots of other places. My point is that I buy Wrangler work wear and wear it every day for 2 years as a builder before I wear them out for a 1/4 of the cost. For the price tag the stuff isn't very durable. Feathered friends is made in the USA and is the same price as the hunting brands
Feathered friends makes good gear, but wear one of their down jackets on the job site and see how long it holds up. Same with any other lightweight gear manufacturer. WM makes good gear, but I'm not busting brush in any FF or WM jacket because they aren't up to that task. I've got a pair of those $20 Wrangler mtn pants that are absolute garbage, yet guys swear by them. Not my experience.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would have taken pictures and sent them back until they were right if they came back to me like that.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
There are better direct comparisons to be made. Not sure Mtn pants/Kutana pants is apples to apples. Remember when KUIU said they were going to be 100% made in North America, then moved overseas at the same prices? Pepperidge Farm remembers

Eh, I'm not very familiar with the pant lines from either Sitka or Kuiu, those struck me as both being in the early-mid season category of stretch pants with a DWR.

Also, I currently own items from Sitka, First Lite, and Kryptek, with an eye on a Sitka MTN Vest as one of my upcoming purchases when it goes on sale. The point is, acting as if it's a crazy thought that someone questions why Sitka stands out as more expensive overall when compared with other brands feels very head-in-the-sand-ish.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Well then they should have a whole ware house full of stuff if the consumer would feel it is over priced..... just looking at retail price of pieces that kinda compare is naive at best. Overpriced is so subjective to guy making 80000 a year maybe to a guy making 500000 not so much

Absolutely, but the point is, acting as if it's a crazy unheard of thought that someone questions why Sitka stands out as more expensive overall when compared with other brands feels very head-in-the-sand-ish.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Woah, settle down Cowboy. Saying I'm "naive, at best" is not necessary.

I was simply asking why people find it overpriced.

I currently own items from Sitka, First Lite, and Kryptek, with an eye on a Sitka MTN Vest as one of my upcoming purchases when I can find a sale. The point is, acting as if it's a strange thought that someone questions why Sitka stands out as more expensive overall when compared with other brands feels very head-in-the-sand-ish. It's extremely obvious imo why someone getting into technical gear would question if they are overpriced or what makes them stand above. Don't be all passive aggressive at the OP when he's asking a very fair question that immediately jumps off the screen when you start looking at these companies. At least have the dignity to be plainly somewhat aggressive, like me ; ) hahah.

Of course we could find more categories where Sitka is both above and below competitors, but by listing multiple areas (including ones where Sitka wasn't the highest) I'm illustrating that they are consistently on the high end, even if not always the highest. Kuiu is working hard to pass Sitka with their new rain/cold gear, as was Kryptek when they initially dropped the Altitude line. However, Sitka (as the OP asked about) is consistently pushing to the top on price with new releases.

Is it worth it? For lots of dudes.
Is it a silly question? Heck no.

tdot

WKR
I currently own items from Sitka, First Lite, and Kryptek, with an eye on a Sitka MTN Vest as one of my upcoming purchases when I can find a sale. The point is, acting as if it's a strange thought that someone questions why Sitka stands out as more expensive overall when compared with other brands feels very head-in-the-sand-ish. It's extremely obvious imo why someone getting into technical gear would question if they are overpriced or what makes them stand above. Don't be all passive aggressive at the OP when he's asking a very fair question that immediately jumps off the screen when you start looking at these companies. At least have the dignity to be plainly somewhat aggressive, like me ; ) hahah.

Of course we could find more categories where Sitka is both above and below competitors, but by listing multiple areas (including ones where Sitka wasn't the highest) I'm illustrating that they are consistently on the high end, even if not always the highest. Kuiu is working hard to pass Sitka with their new rain/cold gear, as was Kryptek when they initially dropped the Altitude line. However, Sitka (as the OP asked about) is consistently pushing to the top on price with new releases.

Is it worth it? For lots of dudes.
Is it a silly question? Heck no.

I wasn't being passive aggressive. Your issue if you took it that way. It was an honest question.

I can't afford a Porsche, but I don't run around making the statement that its over priced. It is completely out of my price range, yet they can't build them fast enough.

Sticker price alone does not define something to be over priced.

There is a reason to know why a person feels it may be over priced. If one guy has never seen, touched or used technical gear, and is only familiar with camo polypro from Cabelas. Vs another guy who has used Arcteryx, Rab & Mammut. They can both ask the same question, yet it is for different reasons, and the same answer is not appropriate for both.

Last edited:

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka is the highest priced because they use a retail distribution model. This is why you can buy Sitka from retail brick-and-mortar stores and from several places online. They make, import and warehouse an item for $100, then sell that item for $200 to a distributor (Cabelas, One Shot etc.). That distributor then applies their margin or sell the item for MRSP at $400. The benefit is you can buy these items from many location and try them on instore. They also get forecasting from their distributors so they can demand plan to meet the expected sales of a given item.

Kuiu and Firstlite are manufacturers direct sellers, meaning they make, import and warehouse an item for $100 then sell it online through their website for $200, essentially cutting out the distributor (middle man). They can make gear and still capture a 50 point margin while delivering the item to the end user for less money then the traditional retail model that Sitka uses. The drawback here is that you cannot find their items in retail stores to try on and feel the fabrics. They also have limited means of forecasting demand which is why they tend to run out of items for extended periods.