Sitka Core lwt + Kelvin Active + Flash = money

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got try out this combo a half dozen times in that really tough to dress for weather- low 30's to low 40's with precipitation. The lightweight Core base layer is super lightweight, breathes well and dries fast- exactly what you're looking for in a base layer. I prefer the hooded version as it adds a lot more versatility for a 1/2 ounce.

The Kelvin Active is also the hoody- not quite a jacket, more than a vest. It's also light, breathes well and dries fast. For insulation on the move it's perfect. Polartec Alpha Direct is the best active insulation I've found and what's used in the Kelvin Piece.

The Sitka Flash, (discontinued but still can be found on eBay, classifieds, etc) was originally put out as a wind layer. I had one when they first came out and was disappointed in it's breathability vs my other windshirts- it also runs small and mine was a size too small, so sold it. I've since found a larger size and purchased one. While it doesn't breathe great, it is very (very) water resistant- to the point of being waterproof in most situations (if all day rain is in the forecast, this isn't the hardshell I'd choose). For on/off precipitation, particularly when it's more like wet snow vs rain- it works very well. It's also much more wind resistant than typical windshirts, so if if it's precipitation + wind- the Flash absolutely crushes other windshirts. If you're sitting and glassing, this windshirt is a better bet as well. I'll still carry a "regular" windshirt and carry the Flash as a lightweight rain shell.

Obviously there are plenty of conditions where I'm not wearing all three pieces at the same time. Dry conditions the Kelvin and the Core are often perfect on their own. Same goes for high exertion in wet conditions with Flash and just the base layer- I can be comfortable in high exertion with just those two pieces down into the mid 20's. But in those cold/wet conditions, when the exertion is lower- the three pieces really compliment each other.

The Kelvin isn't a substitute for an static insulating layer, it can augment one when stationary, but designed for on the move. The Flash isn't a substitute for a dyed in the wool hardshell for prolonged and heavy rains, but for occasional showers or precipitation that reasonable snow more than rain- works very well.

Anyways, was impressed enough to jot down a few of my thoughts :)

7fTX4ZK.jpg

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure why they quit making it???? People complaining about the lack of breathability???? It's not your typical windshirt, but definitely a place for it in my quiver.

I got out today with roughly those same conditions I mentioned above- mid to upper 30's with a rain/snow mix, the shell did great keeping moisture out- no wetting through at all- a normal windshirt would have wetted out in 30 minutes or less.

I'm not sure why they quit making it???? People complaining about the lack of breathability???? It's not your typical windshirt, but definitely a place for it in my quiver.

I got out today with roughly those same conditions I mentioned above- mid to upper 30's with a rain/snow mix, the shell did great keeping moisture out- no wetting through at all- a normal windshirt would have wetted out in 30 minutes or less.
I had heard rumors about a hooded mountain jacket.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I pretty much like hoods on everything; too many times it's comes in handy- even on base layers. I'm pretty sure I don't own a jacket w/o one :)

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

Well, you may be thinking of the Kelvin Active Hoody. I don’t think they make them any more. I have one and I love it.

Clarktar

WKR
OR makes an active jacket (ascent I think) and if I recall it is same material as the Sitka active jacket.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ascendant- they discontinued it, but it might have been replaced with the Refuge Air?? My wife has one (Ascendant), she probably wears it more than any other jacket she owns.

I'm 99% certain that Patagonia's Nano Air line is also Polartec Alpha- big companies like to put their own name on stuff for some reason

Well, you may be thinking of the Kelvin Active Hoody. I don’t think they make them any more. I have one and I love it.

Nope. Aware of the active jacket and hoody. I actually Heard they were working on a version of the mountain jacket with a hood and taped seams That would be similar to the flash pullover but with a full zip.

prm

WKR
I like your combo of a windshirt with the Kelvin Active. I like the KA, but only if really moving, or no wind. Makes sense, it is the Kelvin “Active”.

Going to have to try it with a similar wind blocker.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was looking out the window and at the weather page- wet snow (35 degrees), wind ~ 15 mph and trying decide what would be best for a couple hour hike w/ fair amount of up/down in this weather.

Yup- Core LWT hoody, Kelvin Active and Flash jacket as the outer layer.

I had to vent a bit on the climbs, but never overheated. The wind occasionally gusted higher than 15 mph and I would just zip fully up and add a hood if needed.

This really is a great combo for moving in crappy weather.

WQC2R3g.jpg

E14L5Q9.jpg