Sitka Delta Wader Versatility

willidru

WKR
Has anyone used the Sitka Delta Waders for Big Game or Fly Fishing? I'm cringing at spending that kind of money on waders, but also tired of spending $300-$400 on Banded and other leakers that I replace every other year. Wanted to see how they stack up against Simms or other premium brands.

My primary use 10-20 days will be duck hunting.

rubber sole boots are absolutely worthless if fishing rivers with rocks. They have zero traction. They just dont work. i fish a lot of big western rivers and a buddy of mine tries to fish with his sitka waders and i swear they are going to be the death of him. There is a reason good wading boots use studded vibram or felt.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at getting a set of Patagonia Swiftcurrent's for this fall. Agree with above comment that integrated boots are terrible. What's sold me on the Swiftcurrent's is the amount of sizing options available, you can really dial them in.

dtrkyman

WKR
Might want to look in USIA. But I agree, rubber soled boots are a death trap on a trout stream!

Simms and Orvis make fine waders!

For big game hunting these are the absolute worse waders you can buy (or for that matter, any with the integrated rubber boot). Simply a bad bad idea. I watched a poor guy struggle beyond comprehension hunting SE Alaska black bears in a pair of these just last year. After the first days hunt he refused to walk more than a hundred yards in them going forward. I think they are purely geared towards wading/walking out to your suck buck that’s a 100 yds or so out and back.

Cry once, get some good waders and separate boots. I have walked miles in mine in the rivers and out up on land in the alder forests of Alaska. Zero Issues. I own Simms. Several other brands to chose from.

Wags

WKR
They’re great for what they were designed to do. However I prefer stocking foot waders if I’m going to be on rocks & boulders.

If I were going to spend that kind of money I’d get simms bootfoot G3s with Rivertread soles and a veil camo wader- if I truly wanted bootfoots. Otherwise stockingfoots and boots are the way to go

Last edited:

LWright

FNG
I have a pair of Drake Eqwaders that have held up well for the last 6 ish years. They used to be about $375, I see they’ve went up in price . Before those I could get 5-7 years out of Cabels and Rogers waders . I know if I dropped the coin on Sitkas, I’d end up putting a hole in them the first hunt. Just my luck.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Drake Eqwaders that have held up well for the last 6 ish years. They used to be about $375, I see they’ve went up in price . Before those I could get 5-7 years out of Cabels and Rogers waders . I know if I dropped the coin on Sitkas, I’d end up putting a hole in them the first hunt. Just my luck.

Sitka and Chene waders are night and day compared to Drake or Cabelas waders when it comes to comfort, especially the boot ... and Sitka or Chene would repair them if you did put a hole in them.

rubber sole boots are absolutely worthless if fishing rivers with rocks. They have zero traction. They just dont work. i fish a lot of big western rivers and a buddy of mine tries to fish with his sitka waders and i swear they are going to be the death of him. There is a reason good wading boots use studded vibram or felt.
I disagree with this entirely. Use boot foot simms all winter fly fishing and duck hunting and never had much for any issues. Not that things aren't OCCASIONALLY slippery. It's not a deal breaker by any means. Most boot foots allow for studs if needed. My brother has the sitkas, one season two holes in the neoprene that connects the boots. $125 to repair. I've been rocking my Simms with fairly heavy use for 3 seasons no issues.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used the Sitka Delta Waders for Big Game or Fly Fishing? I'm cringing at spending that kind of money on waders, but also tired of spending $300-$400 on Banded and other leakers that I replace every other year. Wanted to see how they stack up against Simms or other premium brands.

My primary use 10-20 days will be duck hunting.
If your main use is duck hunting, I highly recommend the Cabellas Supermag neoprene waders. They have a sort of mesh stitching on the outside which seems to make them super durable. They don't have great traction on wet rocks but they have a lot of padding if you fall. During late season I sometimes hike in over a mike each way with them on. I'm going on 6 or 7 seasons of 15-20 hunts with mine. No leaks, no damage, never too cold.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
If your main use is duck hunting, I highly recommend the Cabellas Supermag neoprene waders. They have a sort of mesh stitching on the outside which seems to make them super durable. They don't have great traction on wet rocks but they have a lot of padding if you fall. During late season I sometimes hike in over a mike each way with them on. I'm going on 6 or 7 seasons of 15-20 hunts with mine. No leaks, no damage, never too cold.
You don't understand how happy you would be switching to ANY breathable wader, let alone Sitka/Chene, on those mile + hikes.

I used to wear neoprene (last year was probably 2008ish), I was the same way, swore they were warmer and more durable. Neoprene is akin to canvas waders of the past IMO.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
You don't understand how happy you would be switching to ANY breathable wader, let alone Sitka/Chene, on those mile + hikes.

I used to wear neoprene (last year was probably 2008ish), I was the same way, swore they were warmer and more durable. Neoprene is akin to canvas waders of the past IMO.
I might switch to Sitka waders if my supermags ever wear out and I can get a discount. I'm sure there are a lot of advantages to high end boot foot breathables. One being a zipper so I don't have to drop trou to piss. Also, packability and pockets. I'd be giving up some padding, buoyancy, and probably some durability and DIY reparability but so many satisfied Sitka customers can't be wrong that Sitka's new waders have a lot of advantages over neoprenes. I'm just not sure there are $5-600 worth of advantages over supermags.