Sitka Dewpoint Jacket and Pant

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
How good is it? I am considering forking over $700+ for rainwear and having a hard time justifying it! For those that have it, is it well worth the money? We can't predict the weather, and with this gear I figure I can stay out and hunt thru any rain.......

Thanks
Brent

I've had no issues with my Dewpoint set so far, but they aren't that old either. A noticeable jump in quality from the old Stormfront Lites, and much easier to move in than the non-stretchy Stormfront 3L stuff. They are lightweight, compact, shed water well for at least the first season, and the stitching and fit work well for me. The face fabric is a ripstop nylon, as opposed to a polyester, which I like. One interesting thing is that is looks exactly like the commonly available GTX Paclite fabric on the inside, but is actually listed as GTX Performance. My limited experience wearing both at the same time, is that it does seem more waterproof than Paclite.

I like it....However, I'm into the set for "only" for $300, as one was acquired at a steep discount, and the other was a warranty replacement for SF Lite acquired on closeout. I would choke on paying the full retail for what is fundamentally a lightweight 2L raingear. Even the best quality lightweight fabric will get trashed on the rocks and brush eventually, and there is no way I'm personally going to get $700 worth of use out of it before that happens. People with higher levels of disposable income may differ of course.

If you are having trouble justifying the price, I would suggest looking at other brands that will give you the same ability to hunt all day in the rain at a slightly better price point.

Yk

OP
B

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Yellowknife. Anyone else? Think I am going to do it. My theory, I only get a week to archery hunt, maybe a bit more. If my 7-10 days bring the rain, I have no choice, cant go home and try again later. Figure I need to be prepared for day after day of rain, as we cant predict the weather, and I cant sit in my tent day after day waiting for the rain to stop.

Bateman

FNG
Mountain Archery is clearing out the 2012 Stormfront stuff at around half price. Its tougher than the dewpoint but heavier. Good deal if you don't mind the added weight.

Thank you Yellowknife. Anyone else? Think I am going to do it. My theory, I only get a week to archery hunt, maybe a bit more. If my 7-10 days bring the rain, I have no choice, cant go home and try again later. Figure I need to be prepared for day after day of rain, as we cant predict the weather, and I cant sit in my tent day after day waiting for the rain to stop.

Brent1321,
Curious was the think of the Dewpoint jacket. I'm looking at getting the jacket just not sure how durable it is.

What kind of archery hunts are you doing? I'm assuming in Colorado. Terrain? truck or back pack hunting?

I started with the Dewpoint and ended up with the Cloudburst. The Dewpoint was awesome but with the terrain I hunt in I do not want to take the risky of destroying it in the middle of a pack hunt. If your not a true ounce counter and hunt thick rough country the Cloudburst is a no brainer plus it is a little cheaper because it is slightly heavier.

What kind of archery hunts are you doing? I'm assuming in Colorado. Terrain? truck or back pack hunting?

I started with the Dewpoint and ended up with the Cloudburst. The Dewpoint was awesome but with the terrain I hunt in I do not want to take the risky of destroying it in the middle of a pack hunt. If your not a true ounce counter and hunt thick rough country the Cloudburst is a no brainer plus it is a little cheaper because it is slightly heavier.

I second what Shackdaddy has stated. If you are not an ounce counter I would definitely look into the cloudburst set. As for my system...I started out running the dewpoint set and within two years I ended up ripping the pants. Sent them into Sitka and got a new pair and sold them. Then I purchased the cloudburst pants and haven't run into the same situation. Currently I run a dewpoint jacket and cloudburst pant and have been very pleased with this system. I prefer the simplicity of the dewpoint jacket over the busy cloudburst jacket. Either way both systems have treated me well in Idaho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk