Sitka Fanatic alternative

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the Nomad Cottonwood on sale last year and was really happy with it. Windproof Berber fleece like the Fanatic but for about 1/4 of the price. Only downside is it’s a half zip because it has a kangaroo pocket so getting it on in the tree was a little difficult.

I picked up the Nomad Cottonwood on sale last year and was really happy with it. Windproof Berber fleece like the Fanatic but for about 1/4 of the price. Only downside is it’s a half zip because it has a kangaroo pocket so getting it on in the tree was a little difficult.
I have the Cottonwood top and bottom. Very similar to the fanatic, big differences are the top is a pull over, some people have trouble with nomad zippers and price.
To me, it's somewhere between the wooltimate and fanatic. For the price, I'm super happy 👍👍

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cottonwood top and bottom. Very similar to the fanatic, big differences are the top is a pull over, some people have trouble with nomad zippers and price.
To me, it's somewhere between the wooltimate and fanatic. For the price, I'm super happy 👍👍
Yeah it’s a pullover and not a jacket but with a merino base layer, the fanatic hoodie, and a down vest underneath it I was plenty warm down into the low 20s in Wisconsin. Plus it’s very quiet

Day One Camo parka in cowboy suede with windstopper lining is legit. Maybe not as warm as the Fanatic as a standalone piece, but I would rather layer anyway.
Question is your parka with windstopper and insulation or just windstopper? I am considering bibs and parka in cowboy suede with windstopper but not sure if I should add the insulation to the parka as well

Question is your parka with windstopper and insulation or just windstopper? I am considering bibs and parka in cowboy suede with windstopper but not sure if I should add the insulation to the parka as well
I have the park with windstopper but no insulation. I like to layer under it so didn't want it too warm necessarily.

So, what's the report?

I ended up selling the vest before I used it, I didn't care for the bulk. Status worked well for me in the 50-40* range, added the midi for closer to 40. I ended up selling some other pieces and investing in the incinerator set which I used comfortably in the 20s-30s. I would consider myself to be cold natured.

AMartin

FNG
I ended up selling the vest before I used it, I didn't care for the bulk. Status worked well for me in the 50-40* range, added the midi for closer to 40. I ended up selling some other pieces and investing in the incinerator set which I used comfortably in the 20s-30s. I would consider myself to be cold natured.
Did you get the new aerolite incinerator or the old version?

AMartin

FNG
Aerolite, love the lack of bulk. Have now worn it comfortably down to high teens

What did you use for layering underneath in those temps? I am still trying to figure out what would be warmest? I have the aerolite bibs, but haven’t been able to be comfortable in them in the 20s and 30s. They are certainly well made and waterproof, but I haven’t found them to be very warm. I also don’t have rubber boots to wear with them so maybe it is just the lack of insulation below the knees.

What did you use for layering underneath in those temps? I am still trying to figure out what would be warmest? I have the aerolite bibs, but haven’t been able to be comfortable in them in the 20s and 30s. They are certainly well made and waterproof, but I haven’t found them to be very warm. I also don’t have rubber boots to wear with them so maybe it is just the lack of insulation below the knees.

For 20-30* I've been wearing just a pair of 350 weight merino LJs and calf length heavy socks. Up top I'm wearing a core LW and fanatic hoody under the jacket.

Sub 20 I've added 250 merino LJ and shirt though I should note I've not had time for a sit much longer than about three hours at those low temps.

Last edited:

I also.like to throw a body warmer in the inside torso pocket of the bibs too.

Maverick1

WKR
The predator ambush jacket and bibs…..how do those compare (actual field use, for those that own them). The specs look interesting.

adamm88

WKR
Another vote for day one camo, I have a jacket and that thing is toasty, will be adding bibs this off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Has the fanatic ever been sold in solid colors? I'm sure some will crucify me at even asking but I'm just not much into camo. Even the cabelas wooltimate stuff is camo only. Trying to find something in this warmth range but solids doesn't seem possible

I would give the King’s XKG Wind Defender Anorak a look. The jacket is about $150 right now and maybe a little cheaper on camofire.

Maverick1

WKR
The predator ambush jacket and bibs…..how do those compare (actual field use, for those that own them). The specs look interesting.

(Replying to my own post.....must be the post-season, I'm going nutty! LOL.)

Anyhow, when I mentioned the specs look interesting, this is what I referred to.

Jackets:
Sitka Fanatic::
Torso: 120 gram Primaloft Silver hi-Loft Ultra
Sleeves: 80 gram Primaloft Silver hi-Loft Ultra

Predator Ambush:
Torso: 133 gram Primaloft Silver Active
Sleeves: 100 gram Primaloft Silver Active

Bibs:
Sitka Fanatic::
Torso: 120 gram Primaloft Silver hi-Loft Ultra
Legs: 80 gram Primaloft Silver hi-Loft Ultra

Predator Ambush: